The Celtic All Seasons thread

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Stevie woods is one of the best goalkeeping coaches going,you clearly haven't got a clue what you're posting about.

Really interested in how you know this. You seem pretty sure of the fact.  

4 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

I do genuinely feel for this lad. Like you said moving country is tough and it hasn't started great for him and he hasn't been managed well at all.

Its easy for us fans to get really emotional and write a player off however when you try put yourself in his shoes it becomes much easier to have empathy towards him. Mentally it must be really tough and it's not as if he came to Celtic to be anything other than good at his job and successful.

Duffy to an extent is similar where his confidence has been destroyed and he has been badly managed. If it was that east to be a professional footballer and play in the Premier League then all of us still of that age would be living our dreams but on reflection its easy to see he is just a bad match for Celtic due to his technical or perceived lack of technical ability .

This is where the top coaches excel though, the All or Nothing Man City series showed just how precise Guardiolas requirements were to sign a player. If you watched the episodes where they identify and sign Laporte you get an idea of how prescriptive he is in identifying players to fit they way they play

Despite what WastedW says I think that it's a decent post and, of course, moving in to an alien environment with poor management is dispiriting as is underperforming when, in previous roles, you've been seen as a strong contributor.  Playing football at that level is risky and you could find, through no fault of your own, being landed deeply in the shite - as we've seen today with Ntcham.

BUT if you look at it in the context of risk and reward then, for professional footballers, the scales are tipped heavily towards 'reward' - especially since footballers' contracts seem to be such that their money is not dependent on how they actually do their job.  They are pretty-much bullet proof.  So Ntcham has been poor for Celtic and Duffy has been worse than abysmal.  Now, of course, both have been let down by Celtic's management.  However, my 'empathy towards them' (to quote you) is heavily tempered by the fact that they are each trousering about £15,000 and £30,000 a week with no requirement to be accountable wrt their performance.  

After reading your post I checked my glass eye for tears and it is absolutely bone dry.

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Despite what WastedW says I think that it's a decent post and, of course, moving in to an alien environment with poor management is dispiriting as is underperforming when, in previous roles, you've been seen as a strong contributor.  Playing football at that level is risky and you could find, through no fault of your own, being landed deeply in the shite - as we've seen today with Ntcham.

BUT if you look at it in the context of risk and reward then, for professional footballers, the scales are tipped heavily towards 'reward' - especially since footballers' contracts seem to be such that their money is not dependent on how they actually do their job.  They are pretty-much bullet proof.  So Ntcham has been poor for Celtic and Duffy has been worse than abysmal.  Now, of course, both have been let down by Celtic's management.  However, my 'empathy towards them' (to quote you) is heavily tempered by the fact that they are each trousering about £15,000 and £30,000 a week with no requirement to be accountable wrt their performance.  

After reading your post I checked my glass eye for tears and it is absolutely bone dry.

Its a fair point but i just looked it from a simply human level. Money does have a tendency to skew a point of view especially when as you say the players are extremely well rewarded no matter their performance.

The Ntcham situation must be horrible for him personally but i feel myself having a little less sympathy with him because of how he seemed to down tools to angle for a move. For him its a case of be careful what you wish for. 

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Stevie woods is one of the best goalkeeping coaches going,you clearly haven't got a clue what you're posting about.

27 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

He is also the national team coach.

Still not sure how you can state that he’s ‘one of the best’, Anything else?  

16 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Is Ewan Henderson a box-to-box midfielder? Asking because we've been linked with him to fill in that position for us.

I don't see him as that tbh, plays more further forward. I find him a bit too slight at the moment for Scottish football, could take a leaf put of Christies book and bulk up a bit. Technically he is decent though.

Looks like were selling Cameron Harper to NY Redbulls. A young guy but looked a bit out his depth when he started a few weeks ago with all the covid call offs.

Also apparently Man U and few other clubs are after a 17 year old keeper of ours. Cant remember his name or know anything about him but I have decided he is already better than Barkas, Bain and Hazard.

Can I ask a personal favour?
My late mother was named Theresa and my Dad always called her “Terry” so she genuinely was “Terry Munro”.
I would like it if you could refrain from reusing that particular term as I find it uncomfortable.

Thanks

8 hours ago, gannonball said:

Looks like were selling Cameron Harper to NY Redbulls. A young guy but looked a bit out his depth when he started a few weeks ago with all the covid call offs.

Also apparently Man U and few other clubs are after a 17 year old keeper of ours. Cant remember his name or know anything about him but I have decided he is already better than Barkas, Bain and Hazard.

Its Davie Hays grandson apparently

14 hours ago, gannonball said:

You say selling, but he's leaving at the end of his deal.

You lost a young keeper down South last month top as he was refusing to extend his contract.

Add in Dembele leaving this Summer, plus the two lads off to Bayern over a year ago.

Your youth system doesn't seem to be able to hold onto players anymore.

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You say selling, but he's leaving at the end of his deal.

You lost a young keeper down South last month top as he was refusing to extend his contract.

Add in Dembele leaving this Summer, plus the two lads off to Bayern over a year ago.

Your youth system doesn't seem to be able to hold onto players anymore.

I thought he was off now for a few. 

From youths to first team, pretty much everyone wants to leave this shot show just now, except the one person who should go. And losing or releasing  youths too early is all part of football, very difficult to know if they’ll come back to bite you or fail miserably. 

8 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Its Davie Hays grandson apparently

It’s Vincent Angelini mate - it’s difficult to tell at 17 however he does appear to be highly rated throughout Europe.

Milan are one of the clubs after him and they gave Donnarumma his debut at 16.

Celtic appear to have lost a few highly rated kids to other clubs. Do Lennon, Kennedy, Strachan and Hammond just not see a future for them at Celtic ?

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It’s Vincent Angelini mate - it’s difficult to tell at 17 however he does appear to be highly rated throughout Europe.

Milan are one of the clubs after him and they gave Donnarumma his debut at 16.

Celtic appear to have lost a few highly rated kids to other clubs. Do Lennon, Kennedy, Strachan and Hammond just not see a future for them at Celtic ?

Its odd why clubs such as Bayern, Milan, Man U etc are all really keen to get these kids and see potential in them yet we seem to just let them go. It just seems to be another part of our setup that is broken currently, we can get the young talent in and develop them but seem to lose them as we don't deliver on promises or do they see a clear route to the first team.

Our youth teams for a number of years have been excellent, i don't get it

Edited by Jinky67

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Its odd why clubs such as Bayern, Milan, Man U etc are all really keen to get these kids and see potential in them yet we seem to just let them go. It just seems to be another part of our setup that is broken currently, we can get the young talent in and develop them but seem to lose them as we don't deliver on promises or do they see a clear route to the first team.

Our youth teams for a number of years have been excellent, i don't get it

I don’t think we are just letting them go as we wouldn’t get compensation. As big a club as we are we aren’t anywhere near the bracket of clubs you mention these days who will have more money and appeal in general. Right now however we are certainly missing a trick by not playing youth more with so many players leaving in the summer though and just treading water with guys who don’t really want to be here .