The Celtic All Seasons thread

3 hours ago, Henrik's tongue said:

He hides Celtic cakes in supermarkets, mate.

Well that's a bit pointless.

He should just deface them by sticking his fingers in them like I do.

2 hours ago, Clown Job said:

It’s a good interview and get to see a more relaxed side of Ange, i did like his quip about the Japanese boys learning English only for it to be pointless 😂

Full interview is below and a good watch. 

Edited by Jinky67

This is one for the older Celtic fans on here probably. I was listening to a chart show from 1963 earlier and You’ll Never Walk Alone by Gerry and the Pacemakers came on, so I’m presuming that it was at some point during that year that Liverpool fans took charge of that song and made it their own. So, I wondered when the Celtic fans copied them and took it north of the border. The most obvious answer would be when the two teams met in the ECWC in 1966, so can any Celtic historian out there confirm that, or come up with another time when the song would have made it’s way to Celtic Park?

19 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

This is one for the older Celtic fans on here probably. I was listening to a chart show from 1963 earlier and You’ll Never Walk Alone by Gerry and the Pacemakers came on, so I’m presuming that it was at some point during that year that Liverpool fans took charge of that song and made it their own. So, I wondered when the Celtic fans copied them and took it north of the border. The most obvious answer would be when the two teams met in the ECWC in 1966, so can any Celtic historian out there confirm that, or come up with another time when the song would have made it’s way to Celtic Park?

According to Celtic wiki you seem to be spot on. 

It’s around this time that both clubs adopted ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone‘ as their football anthem.

In 1964 a Liverpool tour of the east coast of America coincided with a Gerry and the Pacemakers tour of the same area. Fans had already sung the hit on the Kop in the previous season when the pop chart were played over the PA system before games, but this coinciding trip to America consolidated the track as a Liverpool song.

“Gerry my son, I have given you a football team, and you have given us a song,” said Shankly after the band’s performance on the Ed Sullivan show.

Celtic picked it up shortly after, and it could regularly be heard throughout their domination of the Scottish league between 1966 and 1974.

There are still disputes as to which team adopted the song first, but the local connection with Gerry and the Pacemakers, and the fact neither club is likely to have picked up on the original — a song from the Rogers and Hammerstein musical, Carousel — gives Liverpool more of a claim to it.

20 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Strangely It would also appear Liverpool copied someone else ….

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-stole-youll-never-walk-20642929.amp

Some quotes from the article 

"There is a dispute between Celtic and Liverpool as to who first adopted the Gerry Marsden classic, but for some reason the singing of it at Parkhead now eclipses that at Anfield."
Alan Green (Radio 5 Commentator) writing in the Belfast Telegraph Nov 2012

Peter Schmeichel has revealed that when his Danish TV station covers Liverpool matches they use "You'll Never Walk Alone" as the soundtrack – sung by Celtic fans. 
When we play 'You'll Never Walk Alone' it's by the Celtic supporters, not the Liverpool ones.
"It's cheating a little but when the Celtic fans sing that it's breathtaking"

Man U & Denmark legend Peter Schmeichel (2005)

"If this hymn is adored by "Scousers" of Liverpool, at Celtic Park in Glasgow they have a cappella version which is better…..the eyes of Celtic fans go red with emotion."
French Football magazine 'So Foot' 2 Mar 2014 (link)

“I was asked to name my favourite song and replied, You’ll Never Walk Alone by Gerry and the Pacemakers. I noticed there was a short silence among the reporters, which was odd. 
"The next day, I got killed for my remark, both at the club and on the streets.
"People yelled, “You f**king b*****d!” Little did I know, it was a song adopted by Celtic fans! In the tabloids, there was a huge headline reading: ‘Numan’s favourite song: You’ll Never Walk Alone’. What a start that was.”

Arthur Numan, link: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/arthur-numan-when-i-joined-rangers-i-said-i-liked-youll-never-walk-alone-fans-yelled-at-me-you-bard , (2020

4 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

According to Celtic wiki you seem to be spot on. 

It’s around this time that both clubs adopted ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone‘ as their football anthem.

In 1964 a Liverpool tour of the east coast of America coincided with a Gerry and the Pacemakers tour of the same area. Fans had already sung the hit on the Kop in the previous season when the pop chart were played over the PA system before games, but this coinciding trip to America consolidated the track as a Liverpool song.

“Gerry my son, I have given you a football team, and you have given us a song,” said Shankly after the band’s performance on the Ed Sullivan show.

Celtic picked it up shortly after, and it could regularly be heard throughout their domination of the Scottish league between 1966 and 1974.

There are still disputes as to which team adopted the song first, but the local connection with Gerry and the Pacemakers, and the fact neither club is likely to have picked up on the original — a song from the Rogers and Hammerstein musical, Carousel — gives Liverpool more of a claim to it.

I remember seeing this discussed before and guy who was in his 80’s claimed it was heard now and then in the 50’s at Celtic Park. Celtic fans had often taken chants from musicals after all Hail Hail comes from the Pirates of Penzance.

I think it’s one of those long disputed ones that we will never ever know the true answer to.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I have to say, I'm enjoying your fans on Twitter completely melting down around Ben Doak signing for Liverpool.

I’ve not seen any meltdown tweets just more of that he’s going for money which is totally understandable really we offer far more than most other Scottish clubs to our youth players and Liverpool will offer far more than we do. 
At the end of the day he has done nothing in the senior game really and isn’t guaranteed to make a career out of it so I absolutely understand why players go for the cash at that age and can pick up experience on Loan anyway.

42 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I’ve not seen any meltdown tweets just more of that he’s going for money which is totally understandable really we offer far more than most other Scottish clubs to our youth players and Liverpool will offer far more than we do. 
At the end of the day he has done nothing in the senior game really and isn’t guaranteed to make a career out of it so I absolutely understand why players go for the cash at that age and can pick up experience on Loan anyway.

I’m sure he’ll also have spoken to Morrison and Hepburn about their experience in moving to a massive club in Bayern and the positive impact it’s had on their career and both are now moving through the ranks.

Its great to see young Scottish lads moving to massive clubs as it shows a lot of self confidence. Obviously as you said the money is a factor too.

Good luck to the kid.

If he’s wanting to leave just for the cash when fair enough, most people wouldn’t turn down a pay rise elsewhere 

But if it’s to do with him thinking he won’t get an opportunity to play first team football, then you’d need to question the club on that one

Not sure if its him thinking there wont be an opportunity, he's already had first team opportunity and done well however we are ofc not privvy to the conversations hes having with the coaches and Ange

But Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world, they can offer significantly more than we can however he will be further away from 1st team football than he is at Celtic but again we wont ever be privvy to what else he has been promised. 

KT should be the example to most of these kids, came through, stuck it out got his chance and took it. Look at him now and the rumours surrounding him going to Madrid but if he does go, good luck to him.

didnt know he had gone until read that on this thread, its a pity to lose any decent prospect but I only ever want players who at this moment want to be at Celtic. Once their head is turned for money or perceived lack of it, its time for them to move on for both sides

Good luck to him, he looks like he could become a real quality player in future

Edited by BigDoddyKane