Work colleagues

35 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I told my boss I would only communicate using Tom Petty song titles.

"That's unacceptable" he said.

"I won't back down," I replied.

"It's the end of the line for you" he said. 

SD: "Yer so bad"
Boss: "Time to move on"
SD: *Free Fallin'*
SD: "Crawlin' back to you"
SD: *American Dream Plan B*

(I don't think I've heard any of these songs, but it's impressive how you can build a whole story. Don't think it'd work with Napalm Death)

34 minutes ago, BFTD said:

SD: "Yer so bad"
Boss: "Time to move on"
SD: *Free Fallin'*
SD: "Crawlin' back to you"
SD: *American Dream Plan B*

(I don't think I've heard any of these songs, but it's impressive how you can build a whole story. Don't think it'd work with Napalm Death)

You say that, but as a staffer for the Conservative Party I find 'Amoral', '(The Public Get) What the Public Doesn't Want', 'Contemptous' and, obvs, 'Scum' do the job pretty well.

(I'm not really a staffer for the Conservative Party)

• 1 month later...

I may have posted similar before but never , ever tell a collegue you can do anything other than sums on Excel.  

I used a keyboard shortcut in Excel and I am now the "Excel guy" at work.

56 minutes ago, Buzz Killington said:

I may have posted similar before but never , ever tell a collegue you can do anything other than sums on Excel.  

This annoys me no end, lassie I work with has been with us nearly 2 years and still goes “oh I’m hopeless with excel” well learn then ffs! 

I can do a fair bit in excel but most of the time it’s not pretty 

4 hours ago, Buzz Killington said:

The Excel Incel? 

3 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

This annoys me no end, lassie I work with has been with us nearly 2 years and still goes “oh I’m hopeless with excel” well learn then ffs! 

I can do a fair bit in excel but most of the time it’s not pretty 

Worked with a lassie who applied for a gig in the infosec team, moving from external contractor to a staff role ,clearly said needed to be good with Excel. 

She bombed her probation, her idea of proficient was she could colour various cells in. One at a time, not even conditional formatting.

Edited by Peil

On 09/05/2024 at 19:08, Peil said:

Same at my old place. Brother died in the Monday, my manager was on at me the Thursday saying I needed to come back Monday. "His hands were tied"

Turned out the handbook said " recommend a week but open to interpretation depending on circumstances"

My wife is in hospital and i have had to use 2 days holiday and 3 days unpaid dependance leave to look after the kids,i offered to come in after i drop the wee one off at 9pm but then i had to be home by 3pm to pick her so so they said no point.

10 hours ago, eez-eh said:

See Teams messages like this:

”Hi eez-eh”

*end of message*

*no follow up message*

Just tell me what the f**k it is you want. For f**k’s sake.

100% this. Get them almost daily (not addressed to eez-eh though oddly enough). They are the absolute worst. And when they do get back to you their request is suddenly urgent.

9 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

My wife is in hospital and i have had to use 2 days holiday and 3 days unpaid dependance leave to look after the kids,i offered to come in after i drop the wee one off at 9pm but then i had to be home by 3pm to pick her so so they said no point.

Best wishes to you and the family. 

10 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

That's not very helpful, not eveyone can afford to drop a few days wage there. You'd hope they can meet you somewhere in the middle.

Hope she gets better soon.

10 hours ago, eez-eh said:

See Teams messages like this:

”Hi eez-eh”

*end of message*

*no follow up message*

Just tell me what the f**k it is you want. For f**k’s sake.

This is a growling trend in the old corporate world IMO.  Surely the standard opening gambit should go along the lines of - 

'Hi eez-eh, have you got 5 minutes, I have a question regarding x/y/z you might be able to help me with?' 

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

This is a growling trend in the old corporate world IMO.  Surely the standard opening gambit should go along the lines of - 

'Hi eez-eh, have you got 5 minutes, I have a question regarding x/y/z you might be able to help me with?' 

Aye, ask yer question.

I find Indian's are murder for the "Hi... (5 minutes) I have a doubt...." patter

Just now, Peil said:

Aye, ask yer question.

I find Indian's are murder for the "Hi... (5 minutes) I have a doubt...." patter

Yep, always ask your question in the first message IMO.  It also gives me an opportunity to ignore it for longer too.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, always ask your question in the first message IMO.  It also gives me an opportunity to ignore it for longer too.

That's my approach. If they don't follow up the initial "hello" message within 5-10 mins I'll ignore them until later in the day.

Edit to add: that's just reminded me that a wifey messaged me last week "Hi can I ask you a question", I replied "yes sure" straight away, she still hasn't asked!

Edited by Swarley