Work colleagues

10 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

What's the standard/expected amount of compassionate leave offered by companies?
My Da died and I've been given 1 week. 
Given it'll take about 3 weeks from start to finish I think that's bullshit.

I work for the council and we are 5 days max and even then that's only if it's an immediate relative and you are involved with making the funeral arrangements. 

As mentioned, if you are going to get  paid get the sick line fired in and don't feel the slightest bit guilty about it. I was off for 3 weeks before my dad died (terminal cancer with a long hospice stay) and another 5 after, and my head was still up my arse when I went back. 

13 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

What's the standard/expected amount of compassionate leave offered by companies?

Sorry for your loss mate.

When my gran died my mum had to take a fair bit of time off as all her affairs to be sorted out were in Caithness and my mums office was in Edinburgh. Her manager was a grade A arsehole and tried taking her time off out of annual leave.

She ended going on sick for twice the amount of time she’d have actually needed, her manager got a severe talking to and all her AL got reinstated. 

If you get paid sick leave I’d get a line fired in and take as much time as you need

Cheers guys. 
I reckon I've thought there'd be some sort of humane understanding from the work and that's been an error on my part. 
I did fire them an email stating my case why the offer of 1 week was a bit short but with the time it'll take and with the mourning after I reckon I'll need a sick line anyway. 

I'll sort it out.  

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Cheers guys. 
I reckon I've thought there'd be some sort of humane understanding from the work and that's been an error on my part. 
I did fire them an email stating my case why the offer of 1 week was a bit short but with the time it'll take and with the mourning after I reckon I'll need a sick line anyway. 

I'll sort it out.  

Sadly HR are there for the company not you. If they stick to the rules it never the time we need.

If you have a decent boss or find someone that works in HR that has soul rather than enjoys being an arsehole they will do what they can for you, finding that is the problem.

If the system lets you get paid sick use it for your benefit and good luck with everything.

36 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Guy from my work went AWOL 2 weeks ago and hasn’t responded to any messages/calls in that time. 

Turns out he’s been sentenced to 15 months in jail :lol: Nae idea what he’s done but it’s shocked everyone 

His 'Back to Work' interview should be interesting. 😜

17 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Apparently the right to paid bereavement leave is not so clear as you might expect. A friend's father died and he expected to get at least a few days off paid but his employer refused saying he would have to use annual holiday. He looked into this but it seems the employer was correct - paid bereavement leave only an entitlement in certain circumstances and surprisingly death of a parent isn't one of those. No surprise that he left that job soon after.

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Cheers guys. 

I'll sort it out.  

Sorry mate. A lot of us make that mistake.

Take care of yourself, as there's a lot of work involved before you even get to think about the loss properly.

Colleague of mine started around mid December and starts maternity leave on Monday. Interesting one. I'm surprised by this as the department she's in has been like a revolving door of staff, and they desperately needs some stability and employee retention. I'm surprised they would knowingly hire someone who was very shortly going to need a year+ off work.

6 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Colleague of mine started around mid December and starts maternity leave on Monday. Interesting one. I'm surprised by this as the department she's in has been like a revolving door of staff, and they desperately needs some stability and employee retention. I'm surprised they would knowingly hire someone who was very shortly going to need a year+ off work.

Shit scared of a discrimination case innit.

7 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Just now, Boghead ranter said:

Shit scared of a discrimination case innit.

You can't ask someone about their plans for pregnancy in any recruitment.  Assuming that the people who hired her wouldn't have known she was pregnant, if she was when she was hired of course.

On 08/05/2024 at 12:16, Central Belt Caley said:

Guy from my work went AWOL 2 weeks ago and hasn’t responded to any messages/calls in that time. 

Turns out he’s been sentenced to 15 months in jail :lol: Nae idea what he’s done but it’s shocked everyone 

How strange. 

Wouldn't all that crime scene tape around his office have made you a little bit curious.

On 07/05/2024 at 19:18, Busta Nut said:

Same at my old place. Brother died in the Monday, my manager was on at me the Thursday saying I needed to come back Monday. "His hands were tied"

Turned out the handbook said " recommend a week but open to interpretation depending on circumstances"

3 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

They can't even ask at the interview unless she volunteers the information. 

28 minutes ago, Peil said:

Same at my old place. Brother died in the Monday, my manager was on at me the Thursday saying I needed to come back Monday. "His hands were tied"

Turned out the handbook said " recommend a week but open to interpretation depending on circumstances"

Aye. As I said I was stupidly expecting some sort of compassion and understanding from them. 
I emailed them in the evening telling them I was not happy with how it was handled and the lack of support I was getting. I recieved a phone call the next morning at half 9. 
"Wasn't meant like that, take yer time" etc etc. I'm on compassionate leave until Friday and like folk have suggested, I'll be speaking to the doctors on Monday.
I realise I've been a gullible fool thinking otherwise but it made me realise yer nuhin to these companies but a fucking number. If I died the mora I'd be forgotten next week and replaced in a fortnight. 

How many weeks to the end of the Euros?

15 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Aye. As I said I was stupidly expecting some sort of compassion and understanding from them. 
I emailed them in the evening telling them I was not happy with how it was handled and the lack of support I was getting. I recieved a phone call the next morning at half 9. 
"Wasn't meant like that, take yer time" etc etc. I'm on compassionate leave until Friday and like folk have suggested, I'll be speaking to the doctors on Monday.
I realise I've been a gullible fool thinking otherwise but it made me realise yer nuhin to these companies but a fucking number. If I died the mora I'd be forgotten next week and replaced in a fortnight. 

How many weeks to the end of the Euros?

Sorry for your loss, hope you get through the next few weeks ok

2 hours ago, Peil said:

They can't even ask at the interview unless she volunteers the information. 

You can but in a roundabout way, in our interviews we simply ask the potential employees if they have anything coming up over the next 6 months that require time off, dont specifically mention holidays just be vague