Work colleagues

Friend of mine is a Partner at a wee law firms in suburban London. They are quite well respected in their practice areas but being located out of the city centre they do struggle for good people. Earlier in the year she interviewed a lad who was an Oxbridge grad, had worked at some great firms, and was looking for a job there. They offered him a role and he accepted. Her words to me were, "there must be a reason he's coming here, maybe he's a nutter, but we've made an offer and we'll have to find out".

Two days later he made the press:

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/solicitor-who-told-date-he-fked-her-punishment-being-fat-arrested-work

9 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Friend of mine is a Partner at a wee law firms in suburban London. They are quite well respected in their practice areas but being located out of the city centre they do struggle for good people. Earlier in the year she interviewed a lad who was an Oxbridge grad, had worked at some great firms, and was looking for a job there. They offered him a role and he accepted. Her words to me were, "there must be a reason he's coming here, maybe he's a nutter, but we've made an offer and we'll have to find out".

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/solicitor-who-told-date-he-fked-her-punishment-being-fat-arrested-work

Going on date with the same person 2 nights running should be a red flag to most folk.

Friend of mine is a Partner at a wee law firms in suburban London. They are quite well respected in their practice areas but being located out of the city centre they do struggle for good people. Earlier in the year she interviewed a lad who was an Oxbridge grad, had worked at some great firms, and was looking for a job there. They offered him a role and he accepted. Her words to me were, "there must be a reason he's coming here, maybe he's a nutter, but we've made an offer and we'll have to find out". Two days later he made the press:

Wish I got sex as punishment for being fat when I was younger.

Just got called names instead x

13 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Got a phone call from workshy at the end of the day asking me to pick up his work for him tomorrow as he is on leave. Said I couldn’t do it as I am busy tomorrow morning so he said he’d phone another colleague, about two minutes later he posted in our team channel that he’d Done a verbal handover to me and someone else. I spoke to him for less than two minutes.

He obvsiouky needs the day off, tough life constantly dodging work. Maybe he’s got a spa day booked.

This boy is my hero.

20 hours ago, GordonD said:

When we were preparing for a major computer upgrade we were working unusually late one night and the cleaning guy came in and started wiping the desks round the stuff we had lying there. To be fair he wasn't the brightest of guys and wasn't sure how to deal with people occupying desks he cleaned when they were empty. We told him not to bother and he thought he'd been given a row, so went off to tell his boss. She came in to defend him but we explained we hadn't been having a go at him. Must have got through though because he only cleaned the vacant desks after that.

Many places I've worked at have had the cleaners come in during the working day. Maybe they charge more to come in outside of office hours. It's always fun trying to work on some deadline with a hoover droning away behind me or my desk randomly being sprayed and wiped.

30 minutes ago, nsr said:

Many places I've worked at have had the cleaners come in during the working day. Maybe they charge more to come in outside of office hours. It's always fun trying to work on some deadline with a hoover droning away behind me or my desk randomly being sprayed and wiped.

I should point out that I was talking about seven in the evening, not nearly midnight. This was unusually late for us as the flextime day normally ended at half past six so nobody was normally in the office after that but we were on a special project getting ready for the rollout of a new computer system so when the cleaners came in they weren't expecting to find us still there.

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

I should point out that I was talking about seven in the evening, not nearly midnight. This was unusually late for us as the flextime day normally ended at half past six so nobody was normally in the office after that but we were on a special project getting ready for the rollout of a new computer system so when the cleaners came in they weren't expecting to find us still there.

My experience of IT rollouts suggest you should have let the cleaner do it while you mopped the bogs.

11 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

"I fucked you as punishment for wasting my time, for being fat and for having saggy tits, for having a loose pussy and for being overweight

Wid

13 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

My experience of IT rollouts suggest you should have let the cleaner do it while you mopped the bogs.

I wasn't in IT at that point - we were the end users in Personnel (none of that Human Resources crap back then) and were making sure that all the data was in order for the big switchover.

4 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I wasn't in IT at that point - we were the end users in Personnel (none of that Human Resources crap back then) and were making sure that all the data was in order for the big switchover.

My experience of HR suggests you should have let the cleaner do it while you mopped the bogs.

5 hours ago, GordonD said:

Ours regularly arrive in the early afternoon and expect us to take everything off our desks (unimportant stuff like laptops, that sort of thing) while they clean.

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Wonder how the top man is enjoying his Friday once he palms all his work onto @ICTChris

Are we likely to get an update?

He doesn't hand it over to me, it's all our team who get it.  

Management are aware of his behaviour.  He's been spoken to several times about it and I'm fairly certain he's being performance managed.  One complicating factor is that he is useless at his job so we frequently have to take over his work because he can't do it.  A couple of months ago I was asked by management to 'help' on something and that involved taking it over and doing it all.  I don't mind it though, I enjoy doing work and it was quite an interesting one.  However, workshy colleague does not like doing this sort of work, despite this being our primary function and what we are paid for.  He openly says that he hates doing it.  It's like applying for a job as a gardener and then moaning like f**k when you have to spend time in gardens.  He literally hates doing the thing in his job title.  It's bizarre and his negative attitude is really wearing and has a drag affect on the team.  However, everyone moaning about him and complaining about his bullshit does galvanise everyone else.