Work colleagues

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I can't believe anyone thinks this shit from Walmart is in any way ok.

this; I never cease to be amazed by normal folk hurrahing the shenanigans of c***s like Walmart/the tories etc, people who would stamp them into the ground without a second thought

I can see the “all hands on deck” approach working in places like Aldi and Lidl but that’s always been the way in those places and the staff know what they signed up for. I think those companies have smaller stores as well making turnaround easier. The Asda closest to me is at Chesser and it’s fucking massive, I think you’d have difficulties cross training with all the different departments. I think it would end up being one of those classic corporate money saving disasters.

Big companies always comically call a fresh round of firings or cutting folks' hours a 'restructuring' and is usually to 'meet customer demand' or some such pish.

Obviously we all know it's simply because those at the top and shareholders aren't making the same level of obscene profit and instead are making a slightly less obscene level of profit despite not needing it at all.

Yet there are folk apparently on their side..

Big companies always comically call a fresh round of firings or cutting folks' hours a 'restructuring' and is usually to 'meet customer demand' or some such pish.
Obviously we all know it's simply because those at the top and shareholders aren't making the same level of obscene profit and instead are making a slightly less obscene level of profit despite not needing it at all.
Synergies m8.

And also when it doesnt actually improve or change anything nobody gets scrutinised for it. Lets cost cut by making people work harder and doing two peoples jobs. Oh look massive turnover and sick leave. Didnt see that coming.

1 hour ago, philpy said:

My local asda (the jewel) is getting a refurb just now. Can't treat staff properly, but they can fork out for refurbs..

What do these refurbs actually accomplish?

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

A big hefty profit for the refurb business that carries it out. Luckily enough, the guy in charge of refurb spending at ASDA also happens to be a Non Exec Director at the refurb business, which also happens to be owned by his best pal.

My local Scotmid's been undergoing refurbishment for the last 3 months, while keeping a tiny bit open to keep the regulars happy. The people of Dalneigh have probably never been healthier, the aisles of biscuits and crisps have been sacrificed for fresh veg, rice and the like. Might have been more efficient just to close it for a fortnight though.

4 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

A big hefty profit for the refurb business that carries it out. Luckily enough, the guy in charge of refurb spending at ASDA also happens to be a Non Exec Director at the refurb business, which also happens to be owned by his best pal.

That was my first thought. It just annoys the customers - well, it annoys this customer at any rate.

3 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
58 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Move everything around so you have to go on each aisle and hopefully make you buy stuff you didn't know you want or need.

Correct

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The only person I've seen on their side is 'pars for life'.

I'm taking an educated guess at the fact that this is because he is supermarket management or just because he is angry at the world because he can't spell paid/payed. 

Move everything around so you have to go on each aisle and hopefully make you buy stuff you didn't know you want or need.
Yep. My boss claims we should be moving everything in our store around every two weeks, as people will do this.

Any time I move one thing, the majority of folk walk in, look confused, then walk out without asking where it's gone. But he heard it from a retail consultant, so it must be right.

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Yep. My boss claims we should be moving everything in our store around every two weeks, as people will do this.

Any time I move one thing, the majority of folk walk in, look confused, then walk out without asking where it's gone. But he heard it from a retail consultant, so it must be right.

Every 2 weeks seems a bit excessive.

From memory, most supermarkets only rotate stock every 6 months or so. The reason for this is exactly as you outlined - to make customers walk past products they wouldn't usually in case they have an established pattern of what aisles they go directly to for their shopping. There is no way supermarkets are forking out to change their store layout every 2 weeks.

Aldi's store plans are laid out exactly the same across the world. Their business model is based on impulsive buying - walk in for a pint of milk and walk out with a motorbike helmet and a welding kit.  The same as most stores except they are bringing in new 'specials' every week to keep the customers on their toes.

Does anyone want to buy a 12ft Christmas tree and a 25 litre suitcase?