Work colleagues

I'm through the looking glass now. I've no idea what is going on. 

The Prof called me on Teams on Friday. He had had his meeting with the Director to discuss his workload and in his words, "it didn't go well". The point he was making, apparently, is that the workload for everyone is too high, not just him. Specifically, me. He started listing the various jobs I do, then sent me a copy of the university sabbatical policy and suggested I apply for research leave. 

I'm assuming he's playing some kind of 5-dimensional chess here. No idea what these moves are about. 

54 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The Prof called me on Teams on Friday. He had had his meeting with the Director to discuss his workload and in his words, "it didn't go well". The point he was making, apparently, is that the workload for everyone is too high, not just him. Specifically, me. He started listing the various jobs I do, then sent me a copy of the university sabbatical policy and suggested I apply for research leave. 

I'm assuming he's playing some kind of 5-dimensional chess here. No idea what these moves are about. 

He can be the Yoda to your Luke. Learn well from this master.

57 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Best guess is he wants you to disappear for a little bit so they have to parcel out your jobs…resulting in a clear delineation of what jobs you do, and a revelation.

Second best guess, he’s playing you and wants “them” to realize you actually don’t do squat while being shown as doing everything.

Third guess, he lost his favorite sock in the tumble dryer and wants you to climb in and go look for it, Alice.

• 2 weeks later...

The wife started her new job last month. 

On Monday her replacement started in her old job. He started at 9 am and quit the job at 3.45 pm. Apparently he got an email saying he was being offered a better job elsewhere, but nobody is sure if it was true or not.

So...what's the least amount of time any P&Ber has lasted in a job?

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

On Monday her replacement started in her old job. He started at 9 am and quit the job at 3.45 pm. Apparently he got an email saying he was being offered a better job elsewhere, but nobody is sure if it was true or not.

@Ross. has just given a good benchmark in the call centre thread. I've tended to stick jobs out but was in a factory job once and a new guy started on our line at 7 a.m. Before first tea break his overalls were discovered neatly folded on a chair next to the side fire exit.

15 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

9 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

@Ross. has just given a good benchmark in the call centre thread. I've tended to stick jobs out but was in a factory job once and a new guy started on our line at 7 a.m. Before first tea break his overalls were discovered neatly folded on a chair next to the side fire exit.

Started at 10am and left around 2pm on a door to door sales job.

44 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I worked beside a guy who had previously got a job in a butcher's. He was told to clean out the mincing machine but didn't fancy it so was given the option of doing what he was told or getting the sack. Two hours, he lasted.

2 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I worked beside a guy who had previously got a job in a butcher's. He was told to clean out the mincing machine but didn't fancy it so was given the option of doing what he was told or getting the sack. Two hours, he lasted.

I thought at first this was the old joke about getting the sack because he put his Willie in the bacon slicer

Spoiler

The punchline being the bacon slicer was the butcher's daughter

20 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I thought at first this was the old joke about getting the sack because he put his Willie in the bacon slicer

Hide contents

The punchline being the bacon slicer was the butcher's daughter

Or the butcher who sat in the bacon slicer and got a little behind with the orders.

Just now, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I was just chatting with him at lunchtime!

He's got the workload model from his old university, and put his current workload through it. He's working 114% of a job, apparently. We put mine through and I'm on 152%. That doesn't even include my P&B time. 

Anyway, we have a new head of school starting in September and he's here meeting the senior staff today. The Prof was meeting him at 2, so I will find out soon if he raised this or if he'll wait for the guy to start before pestering him. 

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

I was just chatting with him at lunchtime!

He's got the workload model from his old university, and put his current workload through it. He's working 114% of a job, apparently. We put mine through and I'm on 152%. That doesn't even include my P&B time. 

Anyway, we have a new head of school starting in September and he's here meeting the senior staff today. The Prof was meeting him at 2, so I will find out soon if he raised this or if he'll wait for the guy to start before pestering him. 

Prof should be careful, they’re likely to put his pay in a similar model and tell him he’s getting 130% of his payload…

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

In a place I used to work for (multiple times) a guy started at 10am and left for lunch at 12pm and never came back, no idea what may have happened to him. He'd left a leather bound notepad behind and I always remember one of the lads saying "Hey boss, is this guy coming back, really fighting the urge to draw a boaby on his notepad the now" 

It's also the shortest place I've ever worked (3 months albeit a contract) so you can draw your own conclusions about the place.

When I was in Australia on a working visa about 15 years ago, me and my mate got a job through a recruitment agency for warehouse work.  On arrival, it turned out to be a wholesale supplier for the plumbing trade.  Our job, along with about 20 other mainly travellers was to assist in the annual stock take which was scheduled to last 2 weeks.  After a site induction, which lasted about 30 minutes, the counting began.  After about an hour counting brass and copper fittings, we walked out and went to the pub.

1 hour ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Not on that scale but many years ago worked for Lothian Regional Council. When returning from sick had to fill in a form in a book, and it was an old 3 copy book, (white copy to HR, yellow copy to payroll/records and pink copy stayed in book. Was a regular for a colleague to  count up days off in last 12 months and calculate they how many more days they could take sick before it triggered any management action. Amazing how a short spell of 'sickness' often followed.

And when working for DSS/DWP when folk had been sick for 6months on full pay and due on 1/2 pay, managed to come back and work a week or two and then back off sick on full pay. The brazen attitude almost needed respect.

14 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Not on that scale but many years ago worked for Lothian Regional Council. When returning from sick had to fill in a form in a book, and it was an old 3 copy book, (white copy to HR, yellow copy to payroll/records and pink copy stayed in book. Was a regular for a colleague to  count up days off in last 12 months and calculate they how many more days they could take sick before it triggered any management action. Amazing how a short spell of 'sickness' often followed.

And when working for DSS/DWP when folk had been sick for 6months on full pay and due on 1/2 pay, managed to come back and work a week or two and then back off sick on full pay. The brazen attitude almost needed respect.

Right winger, Ayrshire, worked for the Social?

9 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Don't know if this counts, but an old boss of mine lasted less than an hour once. She wasn't happy with our employer (let's called them Weyland-Yutani), so she'd been applying for other jobs and was offered one at Umbrella Corp. She accepted, called her boss at Weyland-Yutani to say she was leaving, and was immediately offered a promotion if she stayed. She accepted, then called Umbrella back and said she'd changed her mind.

Weyland-Yutani made her new position redundant after a few months, once they'd found someone for her old job. Umbrella were no longer interested.

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Lasted 2 hours in a Christmas post with Dixons in the middle of Dundee. Popped out to the Hansom Cab for a refreshment at 11 and never went back. 

^^^ spent two hours typing 10 PRINT "DIXONS R SHITE", 20 GOTO 10

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Lasted 2 hours in a Christmas post with Dixons in the middle of Dundee. Popped out to the Hansom Cab for a refreshment at 11 and never went back. 

The Cab was a pretty good pub. I was in the renamed Cab a couple of weeks ago, but can't remember it's name. Didn't appear to have changed much.