Work colleagues

On 18/08/2023 at 08:07, Sergeant Wilson said:

@scottsdadis obviously a decent, approachable guy.

My response in this type of situation is "What the f**k has any of this got to do with me"?

Got an email this morning about this. The building manager asking what should be done with all the stuff, including the books and the junk.

My response was not far off your suggestion here. 

I've started doing a bit of work with an Aussie firm who are updating the IT systems at my work for us and every time we have a call with them they take time at the start to acknowledge that the land belongs to the native Australians or something. Has anyone worked with Aussies before and is this normal?

Edited by Donathan

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I've started doing a bit of work with an Aussie firm who are updating the IT systems at work for them and every time we have a call with them they take time at the start to acknowledge that the land belongs to the native Australians or something. Has anyone worked with Aussies before and is this normal?

Nothing about Aussies is normal.  This has become the PC way in Oz of letting the Aborigines know that they acknowledge that the land was theirs and now isn't.  I think it is rather insulting tbh, it's also played on every Quantas flight.

10 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I've started doing a bit of work with an Aussie firm who are updating the IT systems at work for them and every time we have a call with them they take time at the start to acknowledge that the land belongs to the native Australians or something. Has anyone worked with Aussies before and is this normal?

I've seen it on some TV programmes from Oz as well.  The first time I saw it I though it was some kind of joke. 

What's this? Something along the lines of, "good morning, and what a fine day it is for those native to Australia and the land bestowed upon them by Our Lord"?  :blink:

Anyway, I've been sat in a presentation this morning, and the deliverer's being fed adverts for laxatives any time they bring up a website. They're also very keen on taking regular breaks. What can it all mean?

3 minutes ago, BTFD said:

What's this? Something along the lines of, "good morning, and what a fine day it is for those native to Australia and the land bestowed upon them by Our Lord"?  :blink:

Anyway, I've been sat in a presentation this morning, and the deliverer's being fed adverts for laxatives any time they bring up a website. They're also very keen on taking regular breaks. What can it all mean?

I just checked the recording from the last training session they gave us and the exact wording used is "Before we begin, we would like to acknowledge the Gadigal people of the Eora nation as the traditional custodians of the land on which we hold this meeting, and pay our respects to the elders both past and present"

4 minutes ago, BTFD said:

My theory would be the guy does all his work on his home laptop and only uses his work one to Google ‘constipafion’. That way when he has to do a presentation he can nip out for a quick bevvy/bookies/chug safe in the knowledge that his targeted ads mean nobody will query him about it. 

19 minutes ago, strichener said:

Nothing about Aussies is normal.  This has become the PC way in Oz of letting the Aborigines know that they acknowledge that the land was theirs and now isn't.  I think it is rather insulting tbh, it's also played on every Quantas flight.

The last series of masterchef Oz was big on this too. 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I just checked the recording from the last training session they gave us and the exact wording used is "Before we begin, we would like to acknowledge the Gadigal people of the Eora nation as the traditional custodians of the land on which we hold this meeting, and pay our respects to the elders both past and present"

Get similar at the start of every Aussie podcast I listen to.

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

I can't think of a better way of paying respect than providing training to a country that sent its petty thieves and criminals there. 

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

They missed out the bit at the end where they should have added 'but you're not fucking getting it back'

Not sure if it happened at the Women's World Cup, but before all the international rugby in Oz, they have a member of the local tribe doing a "Welcome to Country" speech where they talk about the indigenous tribe of the area.

I did notice the advertising board showing the location of the stadium at the Final on Sunday had Sydney Wangal on it. Wangal is the name of the local tribe. Not sure if they did that at all the stadia

7 hours ago, Michael W said:

I can't think of a better way of paying respect than providing training to a country that sent its petty thieves and criminals there. 

But we took Rolf Harris off their hands, so they still owe us plenty.

12 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

download (8).jpeg

Costarred a young Lisa Goddard, whom I had a crush on. Years later she turned up in a Sunday evening soap called The Brothers (which I didn't watch but I was in the room when it was on) in which she was treated like shit by her husband, played by Colin Baker. One reason why I never took to him as Doctor Who. (And no, I'm not one of those people who can't tell the difference between actors and the parts they play.)

2 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Costarred a young Lisa Goddard, whom I had a crush on. Years later she turned up in a Sunday evening soap called The Brothers (which I didn't watch but I was in the room when it was on) in which she was treated like shit by her husband, played by Colin Baker. One reason why I never took to him as Doctor Who. (And no, I'm not one of those people who can't tell the difference between actors and the parts they play.)

Mark McManus was in it too. He used to regale us with stories when he was in The Station Bar, during breaks from Taggart.

He claimed all the kangaroos that played Skippy were dead and worked like puppets on wires. They burned the corpses when they were beyond use.