Work colleagues

18 hours ago, BFTD said:

Your wife wasn't a friend; she was a tool.

There are an alarming number of people out there, at all levels of society, who evaluate others based on what they can do for them and resent when that usefulness ends. For example, it's a real shocker to see how many people disappear from your life if you ever experience some kind of debilitating illness and aren't able to drive them around/watch their kids/help them move house, etc.

She doesn't sound that bad. 

On the subject of Teams meetings, my work has made it official policy to have your camera on for every meeting.  With the reason being 'so everyone can engage with the subject(s) and not get distracted'.

Yeah great, so now I can't be seen replying to emails, Teams messages, requests for the next 90 minutes and sit with my arms folded being bored to death listening to something that doesn't affect my job or life in any way, shape or form, instead of getting on with my fairly busy job.  This is the same mob who go on about trying to increase employee efficiency. Superb.

And I can't sit on my phone.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

On the subject of Teams meetings, my work has made it official policy to have your camera on for every meeting.  With the reason being 'so everyone can engage with the subject(s) and not get distracted'.

Yeah great, so now I can't be seen replying to emails, Teams messages, requests for the next 90 minutes and sit with my arms folded being bored to death listening to something that doesn't affect my job or life in any way, shape or form, instead of getting on with my fairly busy job.  This is the same mob who go on about trying to increase employee efficiency. Superb.

And also P&B

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Phone propped up against laptop screen. Can't be seen on camera (assuming you use the laptop one) and you look like you're really concentrating. 

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

At the height of lockdown, I had to go on a teams meeting with a new project manager for a contract I was working on.  Meeting was at 8 or 9 am.  I did my usual and sat at the computer in my bombsite of an office in the house, jammies still on, not shaved for days and hair that hadn't been cut for about 3 months all over the place.

Meeting starts and she's there, camera on, in her immaculate kitchen, looking like shes been up since about 3 doing her hair and makeup.  She then proceeds to passive aggressively get everyone to put their cameras on so she can "put names to faces". Folk start putitng theirs on and there are more than a few that look even worse than i do.

She was very politely told to get fucked, which meant that for the rest of the time she was on the project she had it in for me.

She wasn't on it very long mind you as she was absolutely hopeless. 

3 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

At the height of lockdown, I had to go on a teams meeting with a new project manager for a contract I was working on.  Meeting was at 8 or 9 am.  I did my usual and sat at the computer in my bombsite of an office in the house, jammies still on, not shaved for days and hair that hadn't been cut for about 3 months all over the place.

Meeting starts and she's there, camera on, in her immaculate kitchen, looking like shes been up since about 3 doing her hair and makeup.  She then proceeds to passive aggressively get everyone to put their cameras on so she can "put names to faces". Folk start putitng theirs on and there are more than a few that look even worse than i do.

She was very politely told to get fucked, which meant that for the rest of the time she was on the project she had it in for me.

She wasn't on it very long mind you as she was absolutely hopeless. 

It should be up to the individual IMO.  If you want to put names to faces, come to my work and we can all have the meeting in person.

Just now, TheScarf said:

It should be up to the individual IMO.  If you want to put names to faces, come to my work and we can all have the meeting in person.

Yep.  What I generally find happens on these things is that it's always the person with the worst broadband connection in the world that decides they need their camera on, which just leads to an hour of listening to them breaking up and clipping like f**k.

It's a glorified phone call.  We don't all need to see each other sitting gawping at our screens.

3 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Yep.  What I generally find happens on these things is that it's always the person with the worst broadband connection in the world that decides they need their camera on, which just leads to an hour of listening to them breaking up and clipping like f**k.

It's a glorified phone call.  We don't all need to see each other sitting gawping at our screens.

That's it for me, I don't need to see 8 or 9 colleagues all sat there with thousand yard stares, some sat so close to the camera you can see each individual pore on their face and others sat so far away from theirs you're not actually sure if it's even them.  All in incredibly poorly lit rooms I might add.

20 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I work for a fairly small company and my boss will say to me before particular meetings that I can keep my camera off and work in the background and he’ll shout if he needs my input.

Forcing everyone to put their camera on is just nonsense especially if it’s not something you’ll be contributing to

12 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I’m fully remote at work and have clients that work from home who join calls wearing shirts when I’m sat in a hoodie and some joggers :lol:

13 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

During lockdown I got away with not putting my camera on for months by just saying it wasn't working. Eventually they said we'll get IT to look at it for you so I was thinking of ways to break it so I wouldn't get found out. I went to switch it on and claim "Oh it's working it just needed an upgrade" and it genuinely wouldn't come on. So I got away with it. They did fix it though unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I remember teaching online during lockdown. Every student had cameras and microphones off. It was like being a DJ, talking into the ether.

I have no idea how tou guys have restraint not to just put DJ Badboy on and see their reactions and the like.

Someone has probably touched on this. 
where I work there is a laddie in his mid twenties that was fast tracked to assistant manager via his uncle. He seems to think that perpetually taking the hard line In almost every situation is the way to go. We all know that respect has to be earned not demanded, and the laddie has now lost the dressing room. His uncle is trying to win it back for him, but is struggling.
The laddie should consider apologising to the people he has shat on, then try a different tactic in dealing with staff. 

Edited by Wacky

5 minutes ago, Wacky said:

Someone has probably touched on this. 
where I work there is a laddie in his mid twenties that was fast tracked to assistant manager via his uncle. He seems to think that perpetually taking the hard line In almost every situation is the way to go. We all know that respect has to be earned not demanded, and the laddie has now lost the dressing room. His uncle is trying to win it back for him, but is struggling.
The laddie should consider apologising to the people he has shat on, then try a different tactic in dealing with staff. 

That would imply he has the self awareness to recognise his mistake, and that his ego will allow him to acknowledge it publically

10 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I remember teaching online during lockdown. Every student had cameras and microphones off. It was like being a DJ, talking into the ether.

I was on the other end of that for a while and didn't have a microphone to start with, so it became a room of silence with me occasionally replying by text when the lecturer would pause and say "can everyone hear me? Are you all there? Hello?!"  The best was when one of my classmates logged in on his phone from bed with his microphone on and immediately went back to sleep, so we were treated to ten minutes of his snoring before he got muted  :P

The occasional time we were asked to put cameras on, my cat would have invariably decided to was time to sit on my lap and relentlessly knead my beard; I'd guess that would've been one of the least disturbing sights you could have been subjected to.