Work colleagues

On 12/12/2018 at 13:21, Cerberus said:

I have an interview for a job in Denver.
It seems a good job but I don't know if I want to move there. It seems a lot of hassle and the job actually might be shite.

Has anyone ever accepted a new job but rather than quit their current job just hedged their bets and called in sick or taken holidays to see if I like the new one or not?

Is that a thing?

I am actually trying to move to Denver, family reasons. Going there for Xmas , we could start a Jags supporters club.

3 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Though references are usually only taken AFTER the person has been offered the job, to the real cockwomble here is the person or persons that assessed the candidate at interview, and fell for all their bullshit.

On that note I used to rage at chairmen who hired and fired managers every 10 months.

At what point does it become abundantly  clear the common denominator  is YOU and not the 15 managers you've fired?

Is there no come back on the referee in these instances? I suppose it's very hard to prove that a reference is deliberately misleading, just embellish everything slightly.

How could there possibly be a come back on the referee?
They assess the worker in their place of work, not guarantee that said person, will perform the same elsewhere.
That said, there was a lot of that going on with Kim Kardashian’s sex tape.

6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Is there no come back on the referee in these instances? I suppose it's very hard to prove that a reference is deliberately misleading, just embellish everything slightly.

Isn't it illegal to give a bad reference?

Waste of time.

Waste of time.
As long as it is 100% accurate and they have proof to back it up it can be negative. But most companies will not give a negative reference just incase

8 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Never known it to happen. Have seen the odd incompetent "leave to pursue a career elsewhere".

57 minutes ago, ajwffc said:
1 hour ago, Oooooft said:

Waste of time.

As long as it is 100% accurate and they have proof to back it up it can be negative. But most companies will not give a negative reference just incase

Most recruiters learn to read between the lines...it's easy to write a reference that on the surface looks positive but actually isn't. A lot of the time it's more about what the referee doesn't say than what they do.

"Especially effective on individual projects" = Toxic when employed near other humans.

"During their time with us their work was generally of a satisfactory standard " = Plenty of times it wasn't though

"I hope they find success in their new job should you employ them" = Cos they were a fucking disaster here.

I've always found references that say the bare essentials as positives are clearly folk to steer clear of. Anything that bigs up someone's punctuality and attendance for instance. Well.. the minimum I expect for a hire is to turn up on time so if someone feels the need to mention it I presume it's because they've got f**k all else positive about them.

References should ask proper questions.
What was their work output like compared to peers.
Attendance and sickness record.
Did they ever stay late to finish work off.
Did they talk all the time.
What did they learn on top of normal work duties. Any courses.
Internet browsing history.
Do they support rangers or Celtic.

7 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

I am actually trying to move to Denver, family reasons. Going there for Xmas , we could start a Jags supporters club.

7 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Sounds good.
North Denver Express ya bass.

I'm not sure I want to move there from California with the winter coming up.

5 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

@Shotgun is your man

Yes, I live about an hour outside Denver so drop me a DM if I can help with any questions. Also, see Velo Army's post from Friday on the previous page if you're still unsure.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Yes, I live about an hour outside Denver so drop me a DM if I can help with any questions. Also, see Velo Army's post from Friday on the previous page if you're still unsure.

I recently became a grandfather when my son's girlfriend went into labor without knowing she was pregnant, yes unusual but not unique!  Wee boy is a gem but unfortunately has a physical disability.  They live in Lakewood. been out a couple of times and driving there this week, 24 hour drive from here which with stops will take a wee bit more.  Forecast is ok for the way there at least.  Have a workmate with us as he is from Sterling, CO and was going anyway we couldnt get decent flights due to time of year etc. My hope is to get a job there but it's more expensive there so have to hold out and apply for the right thing.

3 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

I recently became a grandfather when my son's girlfriend went into labor without knowing she was pregnant, yes unusual but not unique!  Wee boy is a gem but unfortunately has a physical disability.  They live in Lakewood. been out a couple of times and driving there this week, 24 hour drive from here which with stops will take a wee bit more.  Forecast is ok for the way there at least.  Have a workmate with us as he is from Sterling, CO and was going anyway we couldnt get decent flights due to time of year etc. My hope is to get a job there but it's more expensive there so have to hold out and apply for the right thing.

The weather is unseasonably mild right now, so you shouldn't have any problems with the drive. House prices have unfortunately skyrocketed over the last few years with so many people moving into the state. Either way, I hope it works out for you.