c***s on the road

2 minutes ago, German Jag said:

A fairly high percentage of motorists who passed their tests ‚back in the day‘ would struggle nowadays in getting a pass. 

I lied at an interview in 1989 and said I could drive. Astonished when they offered me the job. Most driving instructors were full but BSM said if I could get one of the new Saturday test slots, they would fit me in. They were surprised though when I did get a test date. I got one lesson on the Friday, half a lesson on the Saturday then they let me use the car for the test. Which I passed. Don't see what the fuss is all about tbh. 

47 minutes ago, German Jag said:

Maybe if actual driving on the motorway was part of the test (with training a prerequisite), then people might be more suited for motorway driving. 

Not every part of the UK has an easy access to a motorway (and in some cases even a dual carriageway). Where appropriate, learners I think are now allowed on the motorway? Certainly when I learned I went up a few dual carriageways and a few "fast 60 mph" roads during lessons although not on the test.

Talking of people that shouldn't have a licence...

Saw news stories from an FAI into a crash 4 years ago, where a 91 year old without insurance parked illegally at a crossing then decided to do a u-turn on Morningside Road in Edinburgh, but instead mounted the pavement and killed a 3 year old.

Possibly had dementia, didn't want to pay for insurance "as she felt she did not use her car enough", had an accident in a car park the year before, yet renewed her licence as of course we just take elderly drivers word for it that they fit to drive...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c5ylx5ex4ydo

1 hour ago, German Jag said:

Autobahn experience is part of the german driving test. Prior to getting your Autobahn experience you‘ll already have to have shown an accredited training school, your ability on driving on national roads.

I passed my test in 1985 driving around Shettleston for 25 minutes.

Relive those glory days by playing Grand Theft Auto... 

My 1st driving instructor made a point in letting me practice on the A1 between Musselburgh and Tranent. Best advice he gave me was "if you are doing 60mph by the end of the slip road, you are then in control of where you will filter in". 

Seeing too many people doddle along to the end of the slips at 45 then dab the brakes if it's busy causing no end of hassle to everyone in lane 1 

Forrest Road at lunchtime. Press the button to cross and notice a cyclist coming towards the lights. He tries to "amber gamble" by speeding up and goes straight through a bunch of tourists at a fair lick- if he'd hit one it could have been nasty. 

It's a shame my half arsed karate kick at the kunt never connected- a face plant off his bike and loss of teeth might have taught him some road safety. 

I think I’ve posted this before but it’s happening more often so it needs to be said.

What is it with folk unable to maintain a constant speed? Anytime I’m on the motorway I have cruise control on and the number of times I’ll be in the overtaking lane and get level with someone and they just magically up the speed by 10mph and disappear. Only for me to then catch back up with them a few minutes later. 

Next person that does it is getting side swiped

J4 Maryville and J5 Raith, there is a lane for Bothwell Services. Quite often see people came across left to this lane and speed up to undertake everything on the rights lane and dart back across to the far outside lane last minute at the services cut off.

Van parked on rhs of the road, wider approaching traffic would have to encroach on my side of the road. Wider vehicle coming in opposite direction stopped to allow me to proceed, idiot comes screaming round him and just makes it back to his own side before he hit me, fortunately I had just negotiated speed bumps so wasn't going too fast. I gave him a blast of the horn and the fingers as he squeezes past.

On our usual holiday week in deepest Argyll. Special mention to the old c**t and his good lady (having I'm sure a jolly old time) in their motorhome that neither gets above 30mph nor uses the passing places to facilitate overtaking. 

5 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I think I’ve posted this before but it’s happening more often so it needs to be said.

What is it with folk unable to maintain a constant speed? Anytime I’m on the motorway I have cruise control on and the number of times I’ll be in the overtaking lane and get level with someone and they just magically up the speed by 10mph and disappear. Only for me to then catch back up with them a few minutes later. 

Make sure you indicate beforehand.

10 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Same arseholes, when i'm in the left lane, come flying up to about a metre past me then dawdle along about 0.1 mph slower than me, boxing me in as a tow truck/ cement mixer starts looming ahead. Sometimes, wheels like crater face's would be just the job. 

16 hours ago, Ekhibee88 said:

J4 Maryville and J5 Raith, there is a lane for Bothwell Services. Quite often see people came across left to this lane and speed up to undertake everything on the rights lane and dart back across to the far outside lane last minute at the services cut off.

See also M8, Kingston Bridge, Bothwell Street lane used for queue jumping.

On 18/08/2024 at 11:57, Central Belt Caley said:

I find people who don’t use cruise control a bit odd. Why wouldn’t you?!

I file them in the same bracket as those who don’t use scan as you shop in Tesco. Preferring instead to queue at the checkout and then pack their stuff anyway.

16 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I find people who don’t use cruise control a bit odd. Why wouldn’t you?!

I file them in the same bracket as those who don’t use scan as you shop in Tesco. Preferring instead to queue at the checkout and then pack their stuff anyway.

It infuriates the life out of me, I can’t understand why you wouldn’t want to make life easier for yourself

Scan as you shop is quality, only downside is my local Tesco has a separate self checkout area for trolleys. On a few occasions I’ve had to wait for folk to scan through full trolleys of shopping and bag it all up. Anyway that’s for another thread :lol:

I use cruise control but only ever on a motorway and when it's not too busy. 

When I lived in Wales, it was an 8 hour drive back to Scotland. By the end I was knackered. Then I got a car with cruise control, it took up most of the journey and I noticed a huge difference. I was far less tired. 

Never tried scan as you shop. I assume you only scan the items you're willing to pay for. 

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I use cruise control but only ever on a motorway and when it's not too busy. 

When I lived in Wales, it was an 8 hour drive back to Scotland. By the end I was knackered. Then I got a car with cruise control, it took up most of the journey and I noticed a huge difference. I was far less tired. 

Never tried scan as you shop. I assume you only scan the items you're willing to pay for. 

This is new information but everything falls into place now.