c***s on the road

3 hours ago, Plumpy said:

Had a few, full head on with another car who had swerved to avoid someone coming out a juction, both of us doing 60, cars were a mess the thankfully both cars were newish with plenty of air bags. Travelling up a steep snow covered mountain road in Bosnia in a 4 ton truck, I pulled over as far as I could as there was a tank transporter on the way down, as they got closer I noticed they had lost traction, dived out the passenger door as the tank transporter destroyed my wee truck.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in a tenement close to town centre and its pretty much impossible to get a parking spot outside weekdays between 9 and and late afternoon. Never a problem getting a space any other time. Am I right to think people are completely out of order, selfish scum for taking up parking bays outside flats like below* because they want a quick entrance into the town centre? In my mind these should be clearly for residential use only.

image.thumb.png.63151d484a2b63f63f540ba4668f4637.png

*this is not the spaces outside my home obviously, using another part of town as an example, incase we have any doxxers in the chat.

9 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

I live in a tenement close to town centre and its pretty much impossible to get a parking spot outside weekdays between 9 and and late afternoon. Never a problem getting a space any other time. Am I right to think people are completely out of order, selfish scum for taking up parking bays outside flats like below* because they want a quick entrance into the town centre? In my mind these should be clearly for residential use only.

*this is not the spaces outside my home obviously, using another part of town as an example, incase we have any doxxers in the chat.

Not sure if it's still going on but folk working in Inverness used to use the free parking at Raigmore Hospital as a park and ride, some even using it for holiday parking flying from the airport. If you had an appointment you sometimes had to park away from the hospital.

2 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

can't be Edinburgh as the council screw every last penny out of parking charges that they can. 

Round our bit we have "priority parking". You pay £15 a year for a permit. I don't because 

1) I can usually park outside the priority parking bays and 

2) I don't see why I should have to pay to park outside my place that I've lived in for years and 

3) I'm tight

4 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

It’s a metered on street bay. I don’t see the problem. It’s part of the parking capacity of the town  

If they were to be for residents only they’d be marked out as Permit Holders Only, Shirley? 

4 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

No.  You don't have a right to park outside your house.  If you do want that ability then buy a house with a drive.

11 minutes ago, strichener said:

No.  You don't have a right to park outside your house.  If you do want that ability then buy a house with a drive.

Some people round here think they have. C****.

Maybe one for PTTGOYN too, but cyclists that don't use a cycle path literally adjacent to a road and instead cycle on the road should probably be stoned to death. f**king dual carriage and always some dickhead that waits until right behind the cyclist to pull out in front of you doing 40mph in a national speed limit road. They can also be stoned to death. 

I'd like to add I'm not a cyclist hater, I actually use this cycle path as it's near my house, do a big loop around culminating in a lovely downhill section at the end and back home. 

52 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Maybe one for PTTGOYN too, but cyclists that don't use a cycle path literally adjacent to a road and instead cycle on the road should probably be stoned to death. f**king dual carriage and always some dickhead that waits until right behind the cyclist to pull out in front of you doing 40mph in a national speed limit road. They can also be stoned to death. 

I'd like to add I'm not a cyclist hater, I actually use this cycle path as it's near my house, do a big loop around culminating in a lovely downhill section at the end and back home. 

The argument for that always seems to be that cycle lanes ridden with potholes and drains. I don’t cycle though so I don’t know how accurate that is.

Reminds me, there’s a cycle lane along a main road in Ayr that’s always choc-a-bloc with parked cars, head to toe basically. There’s never any traffic enforcement handing out tickets to the plethora of parked cars so it’s probably the most pointless bit of “infrastructure” I’ve seen on the roads. Which is impressive.

30 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

There is a cycle lane in Holyrood Park going towards the Palace. Nice ladies use it. Lycra clad dickheads get pleasure from holding up traffic by not using it. 

In the park towards the Palace from the south? That's downhill in a 20mph limit, I highly doubt cars driving legally to the speed limit are being held up by "lycra clad" cyclists.

From the north, here? https://maps.app.goo.gl/wR4c6sgbxTBARZaSA That's a shared used path on the left which is barely wide enough for two people to walk side by side. 

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

The argument for that always seems to be that cycle lanes ridden with potholes and drains. I don’t cycle though so I don’t know how accurate that is.

Reminds me, there’s a cycle lane along a main road in Ayr that’s always choc-a-bloc with parked cars, head to toe basically. There’s never any traffic enforcement handing out tickets to the plethora of parked cars so it’s probably the most pointless bit of “infrastructure” I’ve seen on the roads. Which is impressive.

This might be the exception to the rule, as I don't use many cycle paths, but this one is utterly flawless and better than the road conditions. The road is is known for people flying over it as well, so I don't know why anyone would put themselves at unnecessary risk other than spite or principle of choosing to use the highway. I'd rather not die for something like that. 

I don't cycle on roads as I just don't trust peoples concentration, ability or how much they actually care about other humans. People are c***s. 

23 hours ago, strichener said:

I agree there's no right to park immediately outside your house, but I always try not to park immediately on front of other people's houses as I think it's a bit rude if there are other option available.

On my street we're second from the end of the road, number 4. My neighbours in number 2 are closest to the junction wit the next road. Because the house on the corner faces into, and is numbered on, the next road, and because it has an enormous back garden with a big wall and hedge down the side, there is space for about 5 cars to park in a row there without getting in anyone's way. It's the same on the opposite side of the road.

I always park in front of our house but if for any reason, e.g. we have friends round, I can't do this, I always park in this no-man's land bit at the end so I'm not getting in anyone's way. WHEREAS: often if I'm out when the pensioners in number 2 have their son or daughter visiting, their offspring have an annoying habit of parking in front of my house and ignoring the huge stretch of vacant road that they've had to drive past to get there. Many a time I've had to park up there and lug a car load of shopping past that house and into mine. It makes me livid.

8 hours ago, Ginaro said:

In the park towards the Palace from the south? That's downhill in a 20mph limit, I highly doubt cars driving legally to the speed limit are being held up by "lycra clad" cyclists.

From the north, here? https://maps.app.goo.gl/wR4c6sgbxTBARZaSA That's a shared used path on the left which is barely wide enough for two people to walk side by side. 

how many cyclists stick to the 20mph limit I wonder... 

5 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

If we could eliminate two modes of transport which would it be?

Cars and ???

Better keep motorbikes or there would more of a shortage of donated organs

Electric bikes- that would get it up all those Deliveroo pests. 

10 hours ago, eez-eh said:

They also tend to stop and start randomly which can be a pain.  As a slower cyclist I prefer to use cycle paths and lanes but a lot of cyclists can keep up with traffic so they'll tend to use the roads more.