Scotland's Coolest City

ICTChris

Scotland's Coolest City  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The Wall Street Journal has put Dundee on it's list of Top Ten global destinations, calling it "Scotland's coolest city".  I really like Dundee and am planning visiting the new V&A museum as I only really go there for football and it'd be nice to see a different side of it.  But what is Scotland's coolest city and why?

Have any P&Bers ever declared that their city is Scotland's  coolest in a large US publication?

The Wall Street Journal are behind the times. GQ magazine reckon Dundee is the coolest city in the whole UK, not just Scotland.

Unfortunately they're basing this upon a museum that isn't yet open and a restaurant that isn't actually in Dundee...

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/why-dundee-is-the-coolest-little-city-in-britain

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

I can confirm this.

Both my brothers went to Uni up there. I went up one Christmas time. The locals were cutting about in light jackets and T shirts.

I had a jersey, a scarf and a duffle coat and was still freezing.

I'm currently at Uni here, and it is fucking baltic.

Dundee is defo Scotland's coolest city

Spoiler

all you other Scottish cities must be thinking this about Dundee:

Dundee gets my vote. Good vibe, friendly, albeit slightly nutty people. Also a great city in a cultural sense these days with a diverse population.

My son studies in Glasgow and loves the place. Never really taken to it to be honest. Dislike the bigotry with a passion and find some of the locals a bit loud and in your face.

Took me a long time to take to Edinburgh but it has grown on me. Really like the Leith area.

Aberdeen is interesting. Bit like visiting another country. Love the grey granite on a freezing cold, sunny winter afternoon. But that accent/ dialect is a tough nut to crack...     

21 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Dundee gets my vote. Good vibe, friendly, albeit slightly nutty people. Also a great city in a cultural sense these days with a diverse population.

My son studies in Glasgow and loves the place. Never really taken to it to be honest. Dislike the bigotry with a passion and find some of the locals a bit loud and in your face.

Took me a long time to take to Edinburgh but it has grown on me. Really like the Leith area.

Aberdeen is interesting. Bit like visiting another country. Love the grey granite on a freezing cold, sunny winter afternoon. But that accent/ dialect is a tough nut to crack...     

When. I first heard of the "Granite City" I couldnt wait to see it.  Got there and thought it looked like folk had forgotten to finish the place.

Aberdeen: I liked it in the 1990s when I was a tax dodging student. But it seems a bit shite now. 
Glasgow: "People make Glasgow". That's why Glasgow has Scotland's highest murder rate

Edinburgh: Well I live here. But it's not cool because it's full of dug up roads and any new building is either a f*cking hotel or a f*cking student residence for twatty student twats. And Edinburgh cyclists are utter cnuts. 

Inverness: Didn't think much of the place when I was there. Nice river though. 

Stirling: Some nice buildings tempered by the fact that half the population seem to be mutated OF fans. 

Perth: it's kind of meh. And has a crap one way system. 

so I'm afraid I'm going to have to vote for Peh City. As someone who lived in Erbroath up to the age of 6 it was pretty cool to take a day trip to the Wellgate Centre and it's your young years that form your opinions. 

12 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I live in Dundee and there isn't a single aspect of it that's better than Glasgow.

Feel free to f**k off to Glasgow (or anywhere else for that matter) any time you want.  You won’t be missed.

Aberdeen is a right dour place but for some reason my wee sister who lives there loves it.

As do I. It largely depends on the company you keep as there are plenty of dour mercenaries around, but for me it's just the right size, got plenty of great countryside on the doorstep, plus the beach 15 mins walk from the centre. Also those extra few hours of light during the summer that can turn a post work evening into a near half day out and I'm quite happy to sacrifice the light at this time of year when you'd do nothing after work anyway tbh. Superb for students especially, as I discovered when I moved up. Been here for 15 years now and in no rush to return to the Central Belt. Each to their own though.

Archived