Ayr vs Arbroath (again)

D'Jaffo

5 minutes ago, Shelldon said:

Save from Ruddy just a few minutes in looked a cracker btw, better keeper than Hart going by that display.

I'm sure he knew nothing about that, looked like he was looking the other way and it got rifled at him and bounced off him.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were on top overall for the first hour or so then made a triple sub to nullify ourselves and allow Ayr to get on top and see the game out while scoring a couple more in the process. Incredibly frustrating :( 

It's easily the best first hour we've played down at Ayr this year, the two previous first halves we were absolutely dominated in but won the game whereas today we created far more than Ayr for once and came away with nothing.

Dick got things fairly spot on two weeks ago down here with his half time team talk regarding getting more stuck in and getting on top of Ayr, but today his game management was absolutely appalling. At Gayfield Ian McCall changed things, put 3 up top and over ran us after we'd been on top for the first half but today he didn't need to do anything, our own 'tactical changes' fucked us and took our momentum away and saw Ayr on top in the final third of the match. I would also add that I was in a minority who backed him when he gave back some abuse to one of our fans at East Fife and offered him outside because the abuse he took was completely uncalled for, but today his actions on the pitch were absurd and I've never seen anything like it at a live game, nothing even springs to mind from highlights of other games. You can't run 20 yards onto the pitch and scream in the referee's face when decisions go against you. If I can refrain from running into the dugout when we substitute Bobby Linn in the 60th minute for the 100th time in a row leaving players far less deserving of being on the park then he certainly should be able to control himself when a referee makes a decision he disagrees with, especially with 30 years + experience behind him. Poor, poor stuff all round.

In terms of the penalty decision - it was an absolute stonewaller but as has been mentioned two weeks ago we got away with a stonewaller against us which would have almost definitely seen Ayr 2 up and us down to 10 men and the game lost. We won that game getting a decision go our way that shouldn't have, and today we didn't get a decision we should have. Swings and roundabouts.

Really enjoyed the game today, delighted with the result but there was never 3 goals difference in it. Just as they were  in the other meetings, Arbroath were impressive and they'll probably feel very very hard done by. Scored a couple of very nice goals but got a horrible feeling when Arbroath pulled one back, how that penalty wasn't given I will never know but no complaints from me. I don't think ive ever seen anything like that dick campbell outburst, granted I could understand his anger but that was just crazy. Was slightly disappointed at the crowd turn out - it was very quiet throughout the game. Hopefully get a tie in the next round that brings in a bit of cash, could probably do with another signing

I can't believe that pen was not given, but the way Campbell reacted.....lol.
I'm mot getting Arbroath having the best of it, there was another 3 or 4 goals out there for us.

Add me to the list of ayr fans who thought we were outplayed for most of the match.

We're such a poor footballing team without doc and Crawford. Long balls and knock downs, but when we've got big shanks and a good supporting cast of forwards...I suppose it works.

Thought mcdaid was actually quite poor today (although I missed the first ten mins so didn't see his first goal). Moff played well on the ball, and Forrest grabbed the game for a key ten minute spell in the second half.

I have to admit I'm not impressed by the dives (including last week). Mcdaid threw himself about today and it's quite embarrassing.

Anyway...safely through in the cup, but the biggest result today was the one in the league. Fucking brilliant.

On the basis Dick Campbell: rested players last week; is quoted in the Courier before the game saying "“It is a massive cup tie for everybody and there is also big money to be made in the cup – it could be worth around £40,000 to the club"; lost the plot at the penalty decision which would have kept them in the game; and reiterated how important the game was to Arbroath post-match... I'd say that was a sair yin for the Red Lichties.

11 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

We're such a poor footballing team without doc and Crawford. Long balls and knock downs, but when we've got big shanks and a good supporting cast of forwards...I suppose it works.

Loads of goals have been scored this season by going "direct". I've been loving the goals. But I agree, purists may do well by looking elsewhere... for 90 goals...

13 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Thought mcdaid was actually quite poor today (although I missed the first ten mins so didn't see his first goal).

Not a huge amount of end product from anyone today including McDaid. Although his goal was very good and he played one of the few forward passes to reach a forwards feet all day in the lead up to Moore's goal (albeit Arbroath were gung ho at the time).

17 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Moff played well on the ball, and Forrest grabbed the game for a key ten minute spell in the second half.

Funny how different fans see the game differently. Must disagree! Shankland was terrific again today. I haven't seen a striker who can bully defenders as well at Ayr for a while.

Funny how different fans see the game differently. Must disagree! Shankland was terrific again today. I haven't seen a striker who can bully defenders as well at Ayr for a while.

Haven’t seen a striker at Ayr who works as hard as he does. Chased everything down. He will be a massive player if we go up.

Hard to believe Daryl Duffy could be playing for us instead of him!

I was thinking today that I don't think we have had as complete a forward as Shankland since probably Kerrigan. Roberts was up there but didn't have the legs by the time he signed for Ayr. 

He has great control, can score tap-ins or 20 yarders, has speed and strength

Enjoy him while you can folks

Archived