The Chronicles of the Banter Years (2012 - ∞)

36 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

How long until "Steven Gerrard catholic" is the top Google search?

Probably quite soon. People like yourself and BawWatchin are seriously interested in it while Rangers fans couldn't care less.

It's really weird but is what it is I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I'm sure 'they' meaning Charles Green was super confident that his Rangers would not face opposition from many clubs, the pull of the blue pound for example. The media even went as far as guessing which clubs would side with the newco and which clubs would go against, there was even some finger pointing on the subject on this very forum leading up to the vote. The opinions of the other clubs fans were at the time never thought to be a potential deciding factor by Charles Green and his cronies at the club, in the media nor even with the governing bodies.

Clubs who consult and listen to their supporters, never heard of such a thing!

They were obviously aware that it was a distinct possibility that they would be KB'd from the league, they spent enough time trying the charm offensive with the boy Gilmour at St Mirren, for what ends we can never be entirely sure. A lot of what was presented in the press was propaganda.  They asked about the top league because if you don't ask, you don't get, but they didn't expect to be given a free pass straight in. They managed to bypass the usual(At that point) process for joining the league and done it with next to no scrutiny or opposition for the league place. That was the main aim.

Hibs owning Sevco and the state they get the **** into has only solidified my choice of Fathers day gift this year from my eldest daughter. I will also ask to have it early this year for one day only.
I will be sporting the maximum amount of seethe from my Sevco supporting neighbours & friends I can get. And also the departing **** from Ibrox from the last league fixture of the year against the Mighty Hibs, hopefully. [emoji4]
I have asked my daughter to buy me the Hibs home strip for Fathers day to be worn to wind up as many fucking **** as humanely possible in my local and any where else I can goad the f**k out of them, 12th of July sounds delicious. :lol:
The back of the top will be adorned by two numbers and a hyphen. A green number "3". hyphen,  and a blue "2".
I live 30 metres from one of the main roads that take most of the **** out of Glasgow and not so far from Ibrokes. I already get abuse from the **** when I wear my hoops top walking the dog after a bad day at Ibrokes, so I have decided to go that extra mile to see if they depart from the bus/buses at the sight of me sporting my prized present from my daughter.
Thanks Hibs. :wub:

^^^^^
Car sales guy from chewing the fat that always takes it to far.

That nervous feeling about possibly being relegated/in a playoff, or the nervous feeling leading up to that vote as we were putting our faith in our club backing fans and not  bending over for the blue pounding?  

The sense of relief is short lived round our way of course, ruined every time they drag their lifeless bodies into our season ticket seats.  

Edited by the_paulo

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

Meh. The aim for the new Rangers was to make sure they had a team in the Scottish league set up. They knew that being placed in the top division was a long shot and likely to face massive opposition from fans, likewise the first division. By asking for both of those it made putting them in the bottom league look like a reasonable compromise. They received massively preferential treatment by being parachuted in. They should have faced the application process like all others before them.

The application process would have been a waste of time. 

This being back before there was a proper pyramid system  when the strength of the business model, existing facilities and so on had all played a part in admitting previous expansion teams

With their own training facilities, 50,000 Seats and a reasonable chance of filling most of them from their first season the New Rangers had a better case for being admitted than the likes of Gala Fairydean or Forres Mechanics. 

With Hindsight it's clear that some kind of thoroughly applied  "fit and proper person" test should have been an obstacle. 

But given that they let Gretna in it's hardly "massively preferential treatment"

ETA:  Assuming Rangers/Sevco stay in business long enough to play their league game against Kilmarnock on the 5th of May they will equal Gretna's 218 record of  games in the Scottish League

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The application process would have been a waste of time. 

This being back before there was a proper pyramid system  when the strength of the business model, existing facilities and so on had all played a part in admitting previous expansion teams

With their own training facilities, 50,000 Seats and a reasonable chance of filling most of them from their first season the New Rangers had a better case for being admitted than the likes of Gala Fairydean or Forres Mechanics. 

With Hindsight it's clear that some kind of thoroughly applied  "fit and proper person" test should have been an obstacle. 

But given that they let Gretna in it's hardly "massively preferential treatment"

When they let Gretna in, Gretna were a relatively stable club who had previously been KB'd on a couple of occasions for membership. Miles Brookson had zero involvement and the club looks nailed on to float around the bottom end of the league set up in perpetuity.

Rangers may have had a stadium and training ground but there is more to running a club than facilities. They had no financial case to put forward and the folk involved in running them were dodgier than one of the 500 quid notes that someone on here claimed to have had.

The likes of Spartans or Whitehill Welfare may not have brought anything like as much to the table, but they should have been allowed to present their case, if they wanted to go for it at the time.

Just now, Ross. said:

When they let Gretna in, Gretna were a relatively stable club who had previously been KB'd on a couple of occasions for membership. Miles Brookson had zero involvement and the club looks nailed on to float around the bottom end of the league set up in perpetuity.

Rangers may have had a stadium and training ground but there is more to running a club than facilities. They had no financial case to put forward and the folk involved in running them were dodgier than one of the 500 quid notes that someone on here claimed to have had.

Their Financial case was that they had thousands upon thousands of people willing to pay to watch them.

I reckon people who say they shouldn't have been admitted are just saying so because they think Rangers supporters are a bunch of ****ing  ****s who'd **** their own ***** and  a Racoon with ***** and **** it sideways if it meant they could **** a **** with a *****  and then **** in the morning (expletives deleted).

Which is questionable logic even if the underlying assumption seems reasonable

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Their Financial case was that they had thousands upon thousands of people willing to pay to watch them.

I reckon people who say they shouldn't have been admitted are just saying so because they think Rangers supporters are a bunch of ****ing  ****s who'd **** their own ***** and  a Racoon with ***** and **** it sideways if it meant they could **** a **** with a *****  and then **** in the morning (expletives deleted).

Which is questionable logic even if the underlying assumption seems reasonable

What did the Racoon ever do to them?

Thousands upon thousands of people couldn't prevent mk1 from going down the shitter. If that was the entire strength of the argument, then it wasn't a particularly great one.

You couldn't make it up!

@HullCity 3h3 hours ago

"Contrary to reports, Allan McGregor wasn’t at Rangers yesterday and he hasn’t agreed terms with Rangers - he was here yesterday! The manager had a private conversation with him this morning and nothing happened with Rangers

:whistle

A fantastic post on Rangers Media about a new goalkeeper -

Seen Trevor Carson mentioned ... imo more of judas then McGregor. A life long Rangers fan coming from where he's from to even think about signing for them is disgrace to himself, family and country 

:lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43921541

I sense potential banterousness looming.

"Steven Gerrard is now the frontrunner to become the manager of Rangers and the job is his if he wants it, BBC Scotland has learned".

If he says "meh, no thanks" there's an instant giggle.

If he takes the job and results are no better than under Murty (who currently has infinitely more first team management experience) ... more seethe and hilarity will surely follow.

4 hours ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

They didn't actually ask to be put in the first division and actually spoke out against it to their credit. That was purely the brainchild of the governing bodies up here.

It was the SPL trying to put pressure on the SFL to put them in the 1st division, thereby punishing them (a bit) but getting them back ASAP.

The worrying noises from the SPL clubs when they thought they'd not see them again for at least 3 years was quite funny. If they didn’t want to lose them then they shouldn’t have tossed them over the wall in the first place.

Only one club proposed not letting them back in at all, Stranraer  - one of the clubs that Rangers tried to kill off in the 60s.