The Chronicles of the Banter Years (2012 - ∞)

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

Steven Gerrard Rangers manager??

Steven Gerrard could be the next Graeme Souness??

3 Liverpool players that could join Steven Gerrard at Rangers??

Just some of the latest headers that are doing the rounds at the moment.

Salah, Firminho and Mané on loan IMO. 

Did our shitebag board not sack the guy and give them an apology?
Aye Martin Ritchie was his typical snivelling self over it tbf although I dont think the boy was sacked.

One thing that was funny in Ritchies statement was that he mentioned "antagonising a volatile fanbase". Posh for, those horrible c***s cant be trusted to behave at football.

Are there any top-league clubs who haven't yet provoked an Ibrox #STATEMENT by flinging Rangers about like a wet tracksuit?
We've had a couple I can think of off the top of my head, Hibs - Naturellement... 
Anyone else?

Thistle. [emoji17]

1 hour ago, Al B said:

Are there any top-league clubs who haven't yet provoked an Ibrox #STATEMENT by flinging Rangers about like a wet tracksuit?

We've had a couple I can think of off the top of my head, Hibs - Naturellement... 

Anyone else?

Any clubs that haven't managed to provoke one yet, should be ashamed :)

The #statement after our play-off final was a stone cold classic - but in general, the constant, purple-faced outrage contained in every single one even rivals the gold-standard seethe of the Daily Mail letters page - they are incredible. What I particularly like is the fact that despite them being a running joke and providing entertainment across the board, they haven't toned them down at all. 

I also love the trademark thinly-veiled (but totally impotent) threat at the end of each one.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye Martin Ritchie was his typical snivelling self over it tbf although I dont think the boy was sacked.

One thing that was funny in Ritchies statement was that he mentioned "antagonising a volatile fanbase". Posh for, those horrible c***s cant be trusted to behave at football.

He was "suspended " for a few games, despite being a volunteer. Shitebaggery from Ritchie the *** lover and his cohorts. 

He was "suspended " for a few games, despite being a volunteer. Shitebaggery from Ritchie the *** lover and his cohorts. 
Disgraceful pandering really. The reaction to the boys patter was fucking glorious though. He had them boiling. Wonder how many emails the club got...

19 minutes ago, Swello said:

Any clubs that haven't managed to provoke one yet, should be ashamed :)

The #statement after our play-off final was a stone cold classic - but in general, the constant, purple-faced outrage contained in every single one even rivals the gold-standard seethe of the Daily Mail letters page - they are incredible. What I particularly like is the fact that despite them being a running joke and providing entertainment across the board, they haven't toned them down at all. 

I also love the trademark thinly-veiled (but totally impotent) threat at the end of each one.

Has anyone ever pulled all the statements into one place? That would make an amazing read.

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Has anyone ever pulled all the statements into one place? That would make an amazing read.

Somebody should get them altogether and we can have a vote on which is the most minterific. My personal favourite is the Club 1872 one about Lennon earlier this season.

6 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The whole Falkirk announcer thingy was a farce, really. There are too many sensitive wee souls around who can't take a bit of banter.

Indeed, but we shouldn't really be throwing stones out of our glass house. We got the St Mirren mascot sacked (I think) for complaining because he wiped his arse on a Falkirk warm up top at Love st. 

1 minute ago, ribzanelli said:

Hellbhoy could probably pull that all together while he is waiting for his customized Hibs strip to arrive

I used up today's quota of upvotes just catching up with this thread; please accept a metaphorical green dot for that.

The obvious apart, has anything ever united Scottish football fans more than the Banter Years? I genuinely believe it's the reason for the recent increase in enthusiasm and positivity about the game here in general. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Indeed, but we shouldn't really be throwing stones out of our glass house. We got the St Mirren mascot sacked (I think) for complaining because he wiped his arse on a Falkirk warm up top at Love st. 
Poor Chris has never recovered from that. Was there not just 1 complaint I'm sure although he was on his final warning from the Paisley polis. The vast majority of away fans found his antics quite amusing.

Just now, jimmy boo said:
41 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Poor Chris has never recovered from that. Was there not just 1 complaint I'm sure although he was on his final warning from the Paisley polis. The vast majority of away fans found his antics quite amusing.

One complaint too many imo. 

22 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

The great uprising of 2012, when fans of all Scottish football clubs united to ensure that the newco Rangers were denied direct entry into the top tier was a glorious period in the history of our game.

Its something that we should look back on with immense pride. The SFA, the SPL, almost the entire Scottish media and even the chairmen of some clubs tried to threaten, bully and scare us into accepting it.

We resisted.

45 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

The great uprising of 2012, when fans of all Scottish football clubs united to ensure that the newco Rangers were denied direct entry into the top tier was a glorious period in the history of our game.

Its something that we should look back on with immense pride. The SFA, the SPL, almost the entire Scottish media and even the chairmen of some clubs tried to threaten, bully and scare us into accepting it.

We resisted.

The fun of it is that for all the talk of armageddon without Rangers* in the SPFL (iirc at the time it was still a choice between the SPL, or SFL) is that direct entry into even the 2nd tier would have killed off enthusiasm from fans of nigh-on everyone else.  Why bother paying to support any other Scottish club when the rules are fundamentally different for Old Firm Blue/Green in the event of insolvency?

The idea that they could go through liquidation with what would amount to being a relative slap on the wrist when the rest of us would go the way of Gretna was serious enough that a significant chunk of each clubs season ticket/PATG base wrote/emailed their clubs to tell them they'd never see another penny of their cash if it was fudged. It worked, in large part because even if some were bluffing and would end up coming back on the wife's season ticket the next year, it would be suicidal to run the risk of permanently alienating a high % of your customer base (maybe 30% of your ST holders + 30% of your PATG customers? Or higher? Would perhaps vary from club to club depending on geography etc. but it's a lot of relatively reliable income to risk), and while it's perhaps still a bit unfair that it was ultimately fudged to at least some extent with the phoenix club being voted into the 4th tier they've brought a fair amount of joy as they've Progresed through the leagues. Long may it continue.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely
corrected, it was SFL 3 they were voted into which would have been the 4th tier

51 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

We resisted.

I remember all our reactions at the time, it was proper scenes. Not for one second did I think it would drag on this much. They genuinely out do themselves every single time. Just when you think it’s all calmed down they sign a Joey Barton or release a new statement about ticketing :lol: