Rovers v Rovers

Brilliant stuff. At 1-1 there was a real question asked of the team and if they'd bottle it. They came back and played some really good stuff and got the win. A comfortable display with numerous excellent performances.

Having Furtado, Zanatta and what is practically a new arrival in Lennox makes us a totally different team. A couple of wobbles in defence but a lot of positives going forward. Willis looks well up for the title battle and doesn't give up any lost causes. Could've had a couple. Great stuff from Herron for the double. Both times getting forward past the defence.

Same again against Airdrie please. To go 8 ahead with a game more played would be a very nice situation.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually thought some of the players thought it was going to be easy however once Albion Rovers scored you saw a different Rovers team come out and play some good football at times and really should have had another 2 . Think Furtado is the type of player we have missed up front big , bulky, strong and can play a bit as well but please stop Vaughan from taking corners he has been woeful

Another home win and 3 points in the bag,  Nellie is certainly making an impression and for once we have someone who can hold the ball up well and take a shot from outside the box, he'll definitely score a few.  Herron had a good game, took his two goals well, shame he couldn't get the hat-trick.  Onwards to Saturday and fingers crossed we get the win and see how Ayr cope with being second in the league playing catchup:thumsup2

Despite Albion drawing level, we always looked in control. Lennox hasn’t had too much to do since he came back in but just without Smith being on pitch there seems far less anxiety from support and more importantly our defence.

Will get a good pointer for rest of season during next 10 days, chance to go 8 clear and then we visit Coatbridge to play the side tonight that we dealt with comfortably. Does a one hour bus trip and a slightly different field of grass make much difference?..It really shouldn’t! If anything it’s US that should improve cause Bene and Robertson will be in contention to start

Not wanting to tempt fate but if we stay focused there is a great chance we stay top til end now, games are running out for Ayr, 8 points behind us next time they play would heap the pressure on...

Brilliant result. Finally took real advantage. Another huge opportunity again on Saturday to keep this home form going. 

Herron adding to his excellent performance last Saturday with two classic third man runner midfield goals. If he has been carrying a knock and this is the real John Herron we are seeing then he may be a vital player in the run in.

Big Willie Style - what a signing. Brings so much to our attack. 

Robbo back fit as well is excellent. Bene back and we have a full squad (mchattie doesn't count and Murray has been great of late). 

JT the goal machine back in gear - captain leader legend! 

All in all a good nights work. On to Saturday! 

I never at any point this season said Herron was a donkey. Must have been somebody that looks like me and knows my password.

While Lennox has been a breath of fresh air he's made mistakes that would have got Smith slaughtered, still feel safer with him on the park though. Couple of times tonight he pulled off stuff Smith probably wouldn't have looked at.

I never at any point this season said Herron was a donkey. Must have been somebody that looks like me and knows my password.
While Lennox has been a breath of fresh air he's made mistakes that would have got Smith slaughtered, still feel safer with him on the park though. Couple of times tonight he pulled off stuff Smith probably wouldn't have looked at.
It's your son Martin. Definitely not you.

That was good entertainment tonight, enjoyed it despite the biting cold. Really should’ve been out site by half time with Willis hitting the underside with a great curling effort and then being unlucky with his hooked volley at the back post which went over the bar. Albion Rovers are renowned for scoring goals away so it’s no real surprise they got a goal back, but it did take them equalising to get us going again. We obviously won with a bit to spare but it gave us a real kick up the arse.

Herron did well with both his goals, getting beyond the front pair which was great to see. Hopefully more of that to come. Should’ve probably had a hat trick when Vaughan just failed to play him in. Actually thought Jase Thomson had a poorer game but a goal and an assist from right back isn’t to be sniffed at. Buchanan and Willis up front is my favourite of any of the combos we’ve tried so far this season, the latter being a total handful. Great to have that diversity amongst our front line, a bit of everything now. A win on Saturday would really ramp up the pressure on Ayr, and who would bet against us with our home form? Great stuff.

I actually thought some of the players thought it was going to be easy however once Albion Rovers scored you saw a different Rovers team come out and play some good football at times and really should have had another 2 . Think Furtado is the type of player we have missed up front big , bulky, strong and can play a bit as well but please stop Vaughan from taking corners he has been woeful
Agree with this. We were asked questions at 1-1 and answered them in style.

Impressed by Furtado, Zannatta and Herron.

On to another big one on Saturday....

Thought until Albion scored we thought it would be a stroll and to be fair I thought they deserved the equaliser. Too much slackness, Davo especially, and no urgency. But wow what a difference conceding made. Was like a different team. We stopped launching the ball long, starting closing down and upped the tempo.

Big Furtado looks like a cracking signing. Every time he plays he wants the ball and to drive at the defence, which creates space for the rest. Also looks like he has a rocket of a left foot.

The most pleasing thing about tonight though was seeing all the options available to us. Lennox back, a fully for midfielder, Bene once again on the bench, options up top and out wide. First time in months where I've looked at the bench and thought if it's not working we can change it and not just put on Court and hope something might happen.

Big match again on Saturday and I hope we can start that the way we ended tonight. Huge chance to own up a decent gap and put the pressure all back on Ayr.

Archived