Top 30 Scottish football grounds 2018

PB 4.2

Number 9 features the location of tonight's BBC question time.   With 500 points Queen of the south
s-l300.jpg

I haven't visited this ground but I have travelled to Dumfries before and it's a horrible place.  The Alloa of the south if you will.    But sometimes when you have nothing you can rally round your football team, and Queen's have always been well supported.    

Google tells me the East stand holds nearly 2,100 queen-of-the-south-fc-palmerston-park-east-stand-1435051364.jpg

The main stand a few hundred less queen-of-the-south-fc-palmerston-park-main-stand-1435051364.jpg

queen-of-the-south-fc-palmerston-park-portland-drive-terrace-1435051368.jpg

queen-of-the-south-fc-palmerston-park-terregles-end-1435051368.jpg

As an ex Doonhamer the quote re: Dumfries is pretty poor and very very inaccurate.

What did you find horrible about it ?

Also having been to Alloa a few times there is nothing remotely similar about either town.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somerset Park?! Yer at it!

How many baws are lost to the sea at Gayfield on a yearly basis? [emoji38] Never saw it from above before but agree with an earlier poster that it looks a cracking setting.

6 hours ago, G-MAN said:

As an ex Doonhamer the quote re: Dumfries is pretty poor and very very inaccurate.

What did you find horrible about it ?

Also having been to Alloa a few times there is nothing remotely similar about either town.

I didn't like the pubs.   I didn't like the town planning.    I didn't like the pedestrianisation of the town centre.   I didn't like the people I spoke to.  I hated the street names ( English st.  Castle st.)  I've hated the rainfall on every visit.   

If it's soo good (and it isn't)  why did you move away?   

10 minutes ago, PB 4.2 said:

I didn't like the pubs.   I didn't like the town planning.    I didn't like the pedestrianisation of the town centre.   I didn't like the people I spoke to.  I hated the street names ( English st.  Castle st.)  I've hated the rainfall on every visit.   

Ah Dumfries.. on one hand it seems to flood every time a dug pishes on a lamppost in Ecclefechan, I've heard it gets a bit "tasty" in the town centre on a Saturday night and the hotel I stayed in there had a gap at the bottom of the door to my room a limbo dancer could get under...

..but on the other hand I once worked with a Doonhamer who was a kindly old soul, if a bit daft and I have memories of a bus trip there when I was a kid and paddling with some local kids in the River Nith next to the weir at White Sands- no thought of any of that Health and Safety shite back then!

so all in all, Dumfries: slightly better than Paisley. 

What pubs were you in? The pubs are that varied and plentiful in Dumfries that I'm confident anyone could find at least one pub they like. I'm not sure if you're being entirely serious or not so won't go on much further. It's not the greatest place in the world; the high street is dying on it's arse as a result of a greedy council and I rarely go into town to buy stuff as there isn't much variety. It just isn't a "horrible place" though. Run down/boring/not a lot going on kind of place, aye. But certainly not horrible.

What pubs were you in? The pubs are that varied and plentiful in Dumfries that I'm confident anyone could find at least one pub they like. I'm not sure if you're being entirely serious or not so won't go on much further. It's not the greatest place in the world; the high street is dying on it's arse as a result of a greedy council and I rarely go into town to buy stuff as there isn't much variety. It just isn't a "horrible place" though. Run down/boring/not a lot going on kind of place, aye. But certainly not horrible.

We were in Dumfries yesterday. Prior to that, I'd only ever been to the ice bowl a couple of times, but never in the town itself. The high street is a bit shite, never got to sample any pubs as I was driving.

We were in Dumfries yesterday. Prior to that, I'd only ever been to the ice bowl a couple of times, but never in the town itself. The high street is a bit shite, never got to sample any pubs as I was driving.

For the size of the town the high street is a disgrace tbh. Death of the High Street isn't unique to Dumfries of course but by all accounts the rent is extortionate in the town so I can't see things improving until there is a change.

I've never felt unsafe in any place in Dumfries though. There are worse areas than others but even in those areas I'm comfortable wandering around alone myself at night.

13 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

So far this season Ayr have won best pie and now won best stadium according to the masses on P&B.

Don’t even care about the league anymore, my life is complete.

I only voted for Somerset as we usually win there. 

Disgusted by the lack of Central Park in the top 30.  The only ground in Scotland to have a gravestone (I imagine).  Give me this over sitting in a 1 stand stadium anyday.

Image result for central park cowdenbeath

Yes it's a shit hole but it's my shit hole.  You can get a cracking view from the terracing and the noise that can be generated in the old stand is fantastic.  Is it the only wooden stand left in Scottish football? Obviously it's not everybody's cup of tea but I love it. It's unique and well located near plenty pubs and the train station which makes it a great away day.

Image result for central park cowdenbeath coo shed

It's not changed a bit :lol:

Ayr a deserved winner though.  

15 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Never quite got the affection for Somerset Park, its so low down the views are not good for the whole pitch and the facilities in general are pretty poor, toilets in particular are grim.

On p&b you'll read shite about crappy dumps being 'atmospheric' and new stadiums being 'lego land'. Worst offenders being Ayr and Morton.

In reality they are just like reliving your youth from a time best left in the past. They have no place in 2018 Scottish football

52 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

On p&b you'll read shite about crappy dumps being 'atmospheric' and new stadiums being 'lego land'. Worst offenders being Ayr and Morton.

In reality they are just like reliving your youth from a time best left in the past. They have no place in 2018 Scottish football

^^^ supports a team with a lego stadium so not unbiased in his opinion..

In an age where Mrs Brown's Boys can win polls such as best sitcom of the 21st Century, Ayr winning this doesn't come as the shock one might have expected. 

Anyway, I'll do the honours for the Glebe:

1037.jpg

glebepark-679x395.jpg

1068.jpg

panorama.jpg

Can't find a photo of it, but a little known fact is that the top corner of the main stand has a  little house for one of the supporters' cat .

Archived