Derry Girls

RedRob72

On 13/04/2022 at 20:14, 19QOS19 said:

Colm is an absolutely fantastic character and you just know he'll be so relatable to a lot of Norn Irish folk.

I thought Colm was the same actor as this guy in Father Ted, turns out he's not and the 2 of them are brilliant actors with a great script turning the dull into something hilarious.

I thought Colm was the same actor as this guy in Father Ted, turns out he's not and the 2 of them are brilliant actors with a great script turning the dull into something hilarious.

Aye that's who he reminds me of. I think that's what makes him so funny is that he isn't an OTT character. He'll be one of those people that 'Every Irish person knows a Colm'.

Adults are holding this together. There is more than a hint of the "Littlefinger" syndrome with the younger cast, i'd say 3/5 have forgotten the character (Erin, Orla, Clare). Michelle is fantastic (not just because she's exactly the type of girl i'd have tried to ride at school) and has the character from the earlier series' spot on, and James is fine and consistent. The first three though are severely overacting with the facial ticks/gurning, which is not something they really done before, to the stage that it's completely off-putting. 

They've made it clear that this is the final season, presumably because the actresses playing the girls are getting too old to be convincing teenagers. I'd like to see a spinoff with Sister Michael.

5 hours ago, GordonD said:

They've made it clear that this is the final season, presumably because the actresses playing the girls are getting too old to be convincing teenagers. I'd like to see a spinoff with Sister Michael.

They could do a series of shorts with Uncle Colm telling stories

11 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

They could do a series of shorts with Uncle Colm telling stories

I'd watch that. He reminds me so much of my da it was scary. 

I believe the actor who plays Uncle Colm is a stand-up comic who had an Uncle Colm type character, so hopefully he'll do some more of that. 

Sister Michael is such a good character. Great second episode, I think if it ends with this series with no spin offs it could enter that elite group of TV comedies that didn't run out of steam before the plug was pulled. Like Fawlty Towers, As Seen On TV, Phoenix Nights, Dinnerladies and Father Ted.

Adults are holding this together. There is more than a hint of the "Littlefinger" syndrome with the younger cast, i'd say 3/5 have forgotten the character (Erin, Orla, Clare). Michelle is fantastic (not just because she's exactly the type of girl i'd have tried to ride at school) and has the character from the earlier series' spot on, and James is fine and consistent. The first three though are severely overacting with the facial ticks/gurning, which is not something they really done before, to the stage that it's completely off-putting. 

Agree except for Orla, her character has always been doing weird as f**k stuff in the back ground. She is definitely not all there, there’s even a YouTube compilation of it.

I don’t think the girl who plays Erin can act at all, she’s been over doing it the whole time, Clare is just getting worse as time goes by.

On 23/04/2022 at 03:45, Christophe said:

Was one of the girls not already about 30 when it started?

On 25/04/2022 at 23:56, 101 said:

Sister Michael is such a good character. Great second episode, I think if it ends with this series with no spin offs it could enter that elite group of TV comedies that didn't run out of steam before the plug was pulled. Like Fawlty Towers, As Seen On TV, Phoenix Nights, Dinnerladies and Father Ted.

Would add ‚The Young Ones‘ to that list.