A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

17 hours ago, Eednud said:

Front page of the Sporting Post from this day in 1975 and 1980. If too hard to read there from https://www.deearchive.co.uk

IMG_1829.jpeg

IMG_1830.jpeg

What a great site that is. Not quite as full of information as the AFC Heritage site, but superb info all the same. Memories of matches that I went along to at Dens in the mid/late sixties before I was allowed to travel to Aberdeen games.

14 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Love how the Sporting Post referred to the 'English League' and the 'English Cup'. 

Interesting to see what football was on tv overthe weekend - I can't recall Scotsport being on a Saturday night and Sportscene being on a Sunday - thought it was always the other way round.

27 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Interesting to see what football was on tv overthe weekend - I can't recall Scotsport being on a Saturday night and Sportscene being on a Sunday - thought it was always the other way round.

There was one season - and 80/81 rings a bell - where they "swapped".

Scotsport was traditionally on a Sunday afternoon along with Cartoon Cavalcade on STV.

Thanks to the cracking London Hearts website here are the Scottish Football scores on the day the first episode of Dr Who was broadcast:

1963-11-23 Sat Hearts 1 Dundee 3 (londonhearts.com)

Also former Queen of the South and Ayr United player Kevin Hetherington was born on that day. Rather sadly he is now suffering from Alzheimer's which he said he got from playing football.

kevinhetherington.jpg.d97aa8c5650c82c13eec9706e412ea2c.jpg

5 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Absolutely delighted to discover my Great Grandad played for Irvine Vics in 1910s.

Photo here has scribbled on the back “season 1912/13”. He married in 1920, we’re trying to figure out which age group this photo may have been.

Also a very snazzy Vics tie has been found in the family museum (i.e. the big box of stuff my Dad has inherited). Will post a separate photo of that due to file size.

IMG_9138.png

This is a great photo - the tie is brilliant too!

If you like, I can perhaps have a look in the SFA player registers at my work and see if there's any information about him if you like. Feel free to drop me a message - I can't guarantee that there'll be anything, but since they contain senior and junior clubs' players (no amateur clubs - amazingly, this includes Queen's Park too as the were registered by the SAFA) it might be worth looking into.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

What a great site that is. Not quite as full of information as the AFC Heritage site, but superb info all the same. Memories of matches that I went along to at Dens in the mid/late sixties before I was allowed to travel to Aberdeen games.

Are you not actually an Aberdonian?

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Thanks to the cracking London Hearts website here are the Scottish Football scores on the day the first episode of Dr Who was broadcast:

Piece of useless information. Because the JFK assassination happened the day before (22/11/63), that first Doctor Who episode was repeated the following Saturday. 

13 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

1967 League Cup Final, wee Jim scoring a Dundee goal against Celtic, but Celtic triumphed by 5-3.

DSCN5983.thumb.JPG.98bbedacb70e7f6298872b8555f346cb.JPG

Five of the match's goals were scored in the last 15 minutes or so.

The programme looked a bit plain.

67LCfinal.thumb.jpg.8d661eed83220dd1a6aed318fc7700ce.jpg

So many similar names in the Dee line up that must have caused some confusion when the manager was reading out the team sheet or giving the riot act at half time. 

Surnames Two Wilson’s, Two McLeans, One Stewart & one Stuart

First names: 2 x Alex, 2 x Bobby & 2 x George

IMG_5226.thumb.jpeg.c1f9c88a3c1eeeae1acc565519fa268a.jpeg

Must have been a great final to watch.

Video footage below. 

Shame Dundee never triumphed but you were up against legends of Europe! Thank you.

9 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

There was one season - and 80/81 rings a bell - where they "swapped".

Scotsport was traditionally on a Sunday afternoon along with Cartoon Cavalcade on STV.

When you could spend a pleasant Sunday afternoon playing 'Arthur Montford Bingo,' with  ..."Up Go The Heads" ..."Sporting Handshakes All Round" ...."Goalmouth Stramash" ..& "Goodbye For The Present" ....constituting a highly satisfactory Full House.

28 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

When you could spend a pleasant Sunday afternoon playing 'Arthur Montford Bingo,' with  ..."Up Go The Heads" ..."Sporting Handshakes All Round" ...."Goalmouth Stramash" ..& "Goodbye For The Present" ....constituting a highly satisfactory Full House.

And "Yesterday's match of the day was at Tannadice, but our cameras were at Cappielow".

I used to love it when part two started after the ads and it homed in on the ball in the centre circle and all you could see were the socks of the guys about to take centre.

17 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

1967 League Cup Final, wee Jim scoring a Dundee goal against Celtic, but Celtic triumphed by 5-3.

DSCN5983.thumb.JPG.98bbedacb70e7f6298872b8555f346cb.JPG

Five of the match's goals were scored in the last 15 minutes or so.

The programme looked a bit plain.

67LCfinal.thumb.jpg.8d661eed83220dd1a6aed318fc7700ce.jpg

Classic Dundee FC. Score 3 against the Champions of Europe and end up on the losing side. Celtic would break my heart at Hampden at least another 5 times in the 10 years following that (excluding our 1973 LC win)

On 22/11/2023 at 19:50, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Absolutely delighted to discover my Great Grandad played for Irvine Vics in 1910s.

Photo here has scribbled on the back “season 1912/13”. He married in 1920, we’re trying to figure out which age group this photo may have been.

Also a very snazzy Vics tie has been found in the family museum (i.e. the big box of stuff my Dad has inherited). Will post a separate photo of that due to file size.

I can just imagine your delight when you found your great grandfather in the photo.  The players look pretty young, so they might well have been playing juvenile football.  You didn't mention his surname, but could it have been one of these:  Millar, N Cousar, Whiteside, Smith, McGowan, Thompson, Jeffrey, Scott, McDougal or Young?

24 minutes ago, poity_uk said:

I can just imagine your delight when you found your great grandfather in the photo.  The players look pretty young, so they might well have been playing juvenile football.  You didn't mention his surname, but could it have been one of these:  Millar, N Cousar, Whiteside, Smith, McGowan, Thompson, Jeffrey, Scott, McDougal or Young?

My Papa has scribbled on the back “Father, bottom right (John Martin), season 1912/13 (?)”.

We’ve since worked out my Great Grandad was about 20 when this was taken, if it was 1913, so a juvenile team sounds unlikely if the date is accurate. It is a bit of a mystery as I also thought the players looked younger (no moustaches!).

But then again, my Dad has also found a Killie team photo from that era (1913/14) and none of those players sport a moustache either.

We’ll never know whether that photo with my Great Grandad was taken of the Vics, some sort of Vics youth team, or another team entirely. 

I’m just really chuffed that it has been found in the mystery family museum box! What else lies within?

IMG_9138.jpeg

Edited by Le Tout P'ti FC

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

My Papa has scribbled on the back “Father, bottom right (John Martin), season 1912/13 (?)”.

We’ve since worked out my Great Grandad was about 20 when this was taken, if it was 1913, so a juvenile team sounds unlikely if the date is accurate. It is a bit of a mystery as I also thought the players looked younger (no moustaches!).

But then again, my Dad has also found a Killie team photo from that era (1913/14) and none of those players sport a moustache either.

Not necessarily:

Scottish Juvenile Football (oocities.org)

The Scottish Juvenile FA (SJFA) was formed in 1899 and organised the first Scottish Juvenile for the 1899-00 season. The first winners, Edinburgh’s Granton Oak Vale, were the last from the capital until 1928 as the competition became dominated by the West coast clubs particularly from Glasgow and Lanarkshire which established itself as the heartland of the Juvenile grade. In the early years of this level, it was common for some clubs labelled as ‘second class juveniles’ to organize competitions opposed to those of the SJFA. Age limits in this new grade were very liberal, but by 1921, it was decided that some order was needed and the Scottish Secondary Juvenile FA (SSJFA) was formed, this being dominated by the east coast clubs. It was initially decided that after a year, these would have an age limit of 21, but the eastern clubs carried the motion to reserve the right for a father and son to play alongside each other. Negotiations continued and, after some tinkering, the age limits were set at 27 for the First Class, and 21 for the Second. The SJFA also had a limit of 25 for a period. The SSFA also introduced the Lord Weir Cup, and ‘under age’ competition for players under 18, and this still continues today as the Scottish Under 18 Cup.

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Not necessarily:

Scottish Juvenile Football (oocities.org)

The Scottish Juvenile FA (SJFA) was formed in 1899 and organised the first Scottish Juvenile for the 1899-00 season. The first winners, Edinburgh’s Granton Oak Vale, were the last from the capital until 1928 as the competition became dominated by the West coast clubs particularly from Glasgow and Lanarkshire which established itself as the heartland of the Juvenile grade. In the early years of this level, it was common for some clubs labelled as ‘second class juveniles’ to organize competitions opposed to those of the SJFA. Age limits in this new grade were very liberal, but by 1921, it was decided that some order was needed and the Scottish Secondary Juvenile FA (SSJFA) was formed, this being dominated by the east coast clubs. It was initially decided that after a year, these would have an age limit of 21, but the eastern clubs carried the motion to reserve the right for a father and son to play alongside each other. Negotiations continued and, after some tinkering, the age limits were set at 27 for the First Class, and 21 for the Second. The SJFA also had a limit of 25 for a period. The SSFA also introduced the Lord Weir Cup, and ‘under age’ competition for players under 18, and this still continues today as the Scottish Under 18 Cup.

That's Saudi Arabian levels of defintion of "juvenile"...

Earlier in month was discussion of European playoffs (before away goals or penalties got invented).

This signed programme of Lausanne v Hearts playoff, in Lausanne, sold on Ebay last week for £2,000 :unsure:!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1963101501.jpg     1963101501.jpg     1963101502.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee