A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

The Scotland U16 squad before the 1989 World Cup final against Saudi Arabia ahem.... under 16's.... 😒

I can only name about half a dozen or so, Kevin Bain, Jim Will, Brian O'Neill, Paul Dickov, Andy McClaren are the only definite players I can name without cheating. 

IMG_20200901_211302.jpg

My mate had seen Portugal in a previous round and so supported them against Scotland in the semi final at Tynecastle (traitor!).

He waited to get autographs after the game and has autographs of some players who went on to be part of Portugal's Golden Generation such as Figo. 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Gary Bollan, Scott Nisbet, Billy Mckinley I think I can see.

Nisbet was a good few years older than that team. Are you maybe thinking about Neil Murray? (leaning on the the ball second from right). I think the now sadly deceased David Hagen is beside him.

On 01/09/2020 at 01:03, Hammerheid said:

Off the top of my head it was a Europe league game on the 25 of July 2013, can't mind the result but I'm sure 

they only charged £15 admission....:)

I know the result but don't know anything else about this game because Saints were knocking Rosenborg out at the same time.

In my mind its either they were 3-0 down after 10 minutes or it was 1-0 at HT & they collapsed.

7 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Nisbet was a good few years older than that team. Are you maybe thinking about Neil Murray? (leaning on the the ball second from right). I think the now sadly deceased David Hagen is beside him.

That’s the boy, Neil Murray.

On 01/09/2020 at 12:25, Jacksgranda said:

I'm sure someone might post a picture to remind them...

That scoreline condemning Hibs to holding the record for an aggregate defeat for a Scottish club. The record was previously held by Rangers (1872). Shame on you Hibees.

Screenshot_20200902-131746_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by Arch Stanton

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

My mate had seen Portugal in a previous round and so supported them against Scotland in the semi final at Tynecastle (traitor!).

He waited to get autographs after the game and has autographs of some players who went on to be part of Portugal's Golden Generation such as Figo. 

Anyone know who the boy 4th from right on front row is?  Just this side of the red head.

4 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Anyone know who the boy 4th from right on front row is?  Just this side of the red head.

It's John Lindsay. Eddie Conville is back row, right on the end. A few years later he got done for urinating on a woman, but he's not yet become US President.

Conville and Lindsay are in the front row here, either end, in this 1990 BP Youth Cup winning side, along with quite a few lads who went on to have very good careers. The other three under 16 representatives (Bollan, McLaren and McMillan) are also in the photo.

1990 Y C win..jpg

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It's nice to know, years after, that Greenock has been transformed into the Dubai of Clydeside thanks to the sterling efforts of councillors like the one in the report.

I always thought it humorous that a spoof board game in a fanzine prompted a report on the national news.

ETA the 2 guys who ran the fanzine, in a 20th anniversary special last year, commissioned a physical board game, complete with box, playing pieces, money and Chance/Community Chest cards  for the guy who came up with the original concept.

Edited by Arch Stanton

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

I always thought it humorous that a spoof board game in a fanzine prompted a report on the national news.

I think East Fife fans' "Cowden family" song achieved the same feat. 

I'd better think of an insulting song for Queens Park and South Glasgow to see if I can get Edinburgh City on the telly...

I think East Fife fans' "Cowden family" song achieved the same feat. 

I'd better think of an insulting song for Queens Park and South Glasgow to see if I can get Edinburgh City on the telly...

East fife did indeed make an appearance on the news and “they think its all over”.

In the early 2000s their former goalkeeper and assistant manager at the time also made an appearance on tv in the “i’m dave gorman” show.