A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 7th, 2010 - UNITED LOSSIE UNITED v LOSSIE LADS (LOSSIEMOUTH PLAYING FIELDS, LOSSIEMOUTH)

Sunday football at her best. A Community Cup tie, a local competition designed to keep players busy in the winter while the summer welfare league was on vacation in the cold months. Cold, wet, filthy, dispiriting, and an experience designed to test your love of football to the limit.

Colin Dick (right) launches a clearance into the face of team mate Stewart Ingram. A game that ended in almost darkness due to the lack of floodlights and no-one thinking to kick off while there was still light. I have no idea what the score was in this encounter but the folder of photos show a handful of goals and at least three different goalkeepers, including the aforementioned Ingram taking a turn in the sticks. 

In the interests of equality I've a photo of a woman getting hit in the face by the ball scheduled for later. 

0711201025.JPG.1f7e29df7c11aabae6c7dc277ca2e779.JPG

On 07/11/2020 at 22:29, buchan30 said:

This thread is partly what i love about this site.
I only started going to football in the late 80s/early 90s. So it is good to see some games i had only heard about, partially brought to life with photos and memories from those who were there at the time.

Sorry , you did miss the best times but YT compensates a wee bit

On a bad note I started to watch the clip featuring J#hn Gr##g , apparently playing in midfield , for the embryonic Sevco against Bayern Munich in the Cup Winners Cup semi final.

Much inflicting of pain by boots etc

He did not get on with Gerd Muller

Edited by ewan14

Gordon Strachan takes the plaudits of a Celtic fan from the terracing who wanted to get a bit more close and personal to the future hoops manager, a couple of Stratchclyde's finest have hurriedly dropped their transistor radio keeping them up to date with the Rangers match that afternoon to attempt to intervene. 

Alex Mcleish is, I believe the Aberdeen player wearing the number three as Celtic's Tommy Burns and Danny McGrain look on in 1981.

IMG_20201109_183531.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

Gordon Strachan takes the plaudits of a Celtic fan from the terracing who wanted to get a bit more close and personal to the future hoops manager, a couple of Stratchclyde's finest have hurriedly dropped their transistor radio keeping them up to date with the Rangers match that afternoon to attempt to intervene. 
Alex Mcleish is, I believe the Aberdeen player wearing the number three as Celtic's Tommy Burns and Danny McGrain look on in 1981.
IMG_20201109_183531.jpg.c65ccb4a5e6bc53046e87655d51cad9b.jpg

Looks like Doug Rougvie

I was at that game.....in ‘The Jungle’. Apart from being ratarsed I think what caused the culprit’s ire was that WGS had the temerity to be playing exceptionally well.....indeed pretty much running the show. Rather than drag him out of the ground the polis could have achieved more by making him stand on the touch line and watch the consequence of his actions. This was the performance of WGS moving from magnificent to sublime as he show boated his way through the rest of the game making any Celtic comeback impossible.

The fallout for the culprit, in addition to his court appearance, was that he got so much hassle he had to give up his job as a plumber and move from Bellshill to London. None of the articles explain what Londoners had done to deserve that.

On 07/11/2020 at 21:15, johan scott said:

According to Arsenal/ Man U fans, the older he got the worse he became. Think he peaked at 21 or something. Dundee legend.

If you ever watch highlights of England v Scotland at Wembley '63 you will hear the great Kenneth Wostenholme describe Ure as 'probably the best centre half in the world just now'. 

4 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

If you ever watch highlights of England v Scotland at Wembley '63 you will hear the great Kenneth Wostenholme describe Ure as 'probably the best centre half in the world just now'. 

who then comes flying out of defence , misses his tackle and engerlund score

The Rougvie warm up took place before the second of 2 Celtic v Aberdeen league games at Celtic Park towards the end of the season. The first scheduled league game had been rescheduled in favour of the second leg of a League Cup quarter or semi final after the first leg at Pittodrie had been postponed because of a waterlogged pitch (I think??). The first of the league games took place on a Wednesday night and the second on a Saturday.  

It was a proper wind up by Rougvie and it really got the crowd going. We probably didn’t realise that Scottish football was in a very good place at that time when Aberdeen and Dundee United were really taking the fight to Celtic and Rangers. My memory is that Aberdeen tended to do better than United in Glasgow (certainly at Celtic Park) as they had players who were never intimidated by the challenge. Miller, Kennedy, Rougvie, Strachan and McGee in particular had terrific competitive approaches.  

11 minutes ago, Drewmc said:

The Rougvie warm up took place before the second of 2 Celtic v Aberdeen league games at Celtic Park towards the end of the season. The first scheduled league game had been rescheduled in favour of the second leg of a League Cup quarter or semi final after the first leg at Pittodrie had been postponed because of a waterlogged pitch (I think??). The first of the league games took place on a Wednesday night and the second on a Saturday.  

It was a proper wind up by Rougvie and it really got the crowd going. We probably didn’t realise that Scottish football was in a very good place at that time when Aberdeen and Dundee United were really taking the fight to Celtic and Rangers. My memory is that Aberdeen tended to do better than United in Glasgow (certainly at Celtic Park) as they had players who were never intimidated by the challenge. Miller, Kennedy, Rougvie, Strachan and McGee in particular had terrific competitive approaches.  

Those certainly were the days

One of the golden times of Scottish football