A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 24/11/2020 at 11:02, bluearmyfaction said:

The rule in England was the home team changed until the 1920s.  Rugby kept the rule a lot longer, perhaps because there was sometimes no easy way to tell if there would be a clash.

Until 1972 the rule in the FA Cup - no idea if it was the Scottish Cup as well - was that if there was a colour clash, then BOTH teams changed.  Which was a bit daft.  Two teams playing in blue might both have a change kit in yellow or white.  So very often there were ad hoc third kits, sometimes borrowing one from a neighbouring club.

It was the rule in Scotland until around that time too, that both changed in the event of a Scottish Cup clash. I recall a United v Aberdeen cup tie in 1971 where both changed, United all white and the Dons all blue. It was said that Aberdeen's change outfit was a nod to Chelsea, as the two clubs had a certain affinity for each other at one time.

I think the AFC official website alludes to this.

6 hours ago, Drewmc said:

I remember being at many Celtic v Hibs games, including cup finals where both teams wore their traditional  green and white strips without the referees and linesmen claiming it was impossible to tell the difference. If you want to know why football ends up with ridiculous things like teams not being allowed the same colour of shorts, watch the Champions League and Europa League draws. The people overseeing these are guys who have real power in the game but look like mannequins. When Infantino was doing these draws I just assumed he was some suave flunky who was rolled out for the cameras. I didnt realise for quite a while what his day job was and thought he probably spent most of his days polishing the Uefa silver (no euphemism intended). Can anyone really see those types telling referees it is a piece of bloody nonsense when they claim they can’t tell the difference between a maroon top and a crimson one? It isn’t as if these stupid rules on strip colours have improved refereeing standards.

I think the reason for introduction of alternative kit was big clubs wanting to sell more replica shirts, rather than input from referees or officials.

On 23/11/2020 at 14:27, Otis Blue said:

Below is a photo courtesy of Steve Finan's smashing book Lifted Over The Turnstiles which I thought was just brilliant - apologies in advance if I'm repeating an earlier post (too lazy to search back through the thread).  It's from the construction of the Jerry Kerr L-shaped cantilever stand at Tannadice back in '61 - the (then incomplete) stand was apparently used before it had "namby pamby" things like stairs to climb up to it!  Christ only knows what today's Health and Safety gurus would make of this ....... risk assessment?  What's a risk assessment?

DSC04179comp.JPG

Meant to add..... hardy folk these Dundonians..... nae wimps! 

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Willie Willie Willie Willie Pettigrew in a rather fetching Motherwell Admiral change jersey around 1976-77 season, at Fir Park. 

A time travelling child watches on from the terrace.

1977 Motherwell.jpg

A time travelling child watches on from the terrace...... 

Brilliant DH, brilliant! 👍

58 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

This one probably should be in this thread in the future:

Celtic fans protest for removal of manager after winning 11 consecutive trophies.

2B8774D8-5CAD-46C6-8C21-4871B65689DE.png

They 8 guys have really got to you, been all over the place with this tonight. 

Edit - soon to be 12. 

Edited by Drew Brees

9 hours ago, Eednud said:

United would have worn their Arsenal style change strip. Over the road the same day Dundee played in all white v a blue and white striped Rangers losing 1-5.

Were the KO times staggered? Would 40k-ish fans from 4 different teams  been allowed in the one street at the same time?

I've seen a scan of the programme for the DU v Saints game and it says KO 3pm, can't confirm if the game at Dens was also 3pm.

Were the KO times staggered? Would 40k-ish fans from 4 different teams  been allowed in the one street at the same time?
I've seen a scan of the programme for the DU v Saints game and it says KO 3pm, can't confirm if the game at Dens was also 3pm.

United didn’t have floodlights then so guess they would have had an early kick-off. Not certain but think the Dundee game was at 3pm. Happened again in 67/8 United 5 Hearts 6 was an early 2pm kick-off and the Dundee game was 3.30 or possibly 4pm. Aim was to go to both games but police wouldn’t let fans up head towards Dens.

12 minutes ago, Eednud said:

United didn’t have floodlights then so guess they would have had an early kick-off. Not certain but think the Dundee game was at 3pm. Happened again in 67/8 United 5 Hearts 6 was an early 2pm kick-off and the Dundee game was 3.30 or possibly 4pm. Aim was to go to both games but police wouldn’t let fans up head towards Dens.

It was the middle of February so would have been light at 4.45ish.

Here's the programme cover

image.png.d9ea925c163eca8cbebc813650dcae17.png

22 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Did anybody's dad have a Reliant Regal...?

A friend's grandfather had one , used to pick us up from school in P1. We had a wee bump with another car one day and I thought Reliant was made of straw , turned out it was fibreglass ! 🙂

Looking on YouTube at Maradona clips came across this one although he’s not in it. We had just defeated Chile 4-2 in Santiago. This game in Buenos Aires ended 1-1 Don Masson penalty and Daniel Passarella penalty equaliser for them. Willie Johnson was sent off for retaliation.

Maradona is in this one from 1979 when Argentina won 3-1 at Hampden.