A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 26/11/2020 at 21:05, Silverton End said:

We also had a dalliance with Admiral around that time, couple of variations here.

20201126_205446.thumb.jpg.40cdcc8007ddf90deabe77b338ce9652.jpg20201126_205759.jpg.34d173817ad60561a5da1130f61dad69.jpg20201126_205519.jpg.8cf26c7156731028270d2ad8f94e97d0.jpg

Remember heading out to Boghead in the late 70's on the old "blue train" and rattling past the Kilpatrick hills.  I'm sat there with my blue & white Queens scarf on and there's an old guy with a bunnet sat opposite me, looking at me.  Eventually he says to me ... ye gaun to the fitba' son?  Proper Sherlock this guy, like.  So I says .. "aye".  Then he bends over to whisper to me (as if anyone was daft enough to listen) and says to me ....."ye want tae watch yerself oot here son .........( looks across at the hills) ......... they're Apaches oot here, they come doon aff the hills at ye".  So I says .... "oh, aye, right, thanks for the tip".

Never saw any Apaches, even wandering through the housing estate behind Dumbarton East station.  Pretty sure we got beat 2-0.  Dumbarton had a decent side then.  Think the wee ginger lad Ian Wallace (?) might have been playing for Sons then.  Murdo McLeod - not so sure.

14 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Accies had a wee shop like that, selling programmes from all over. It may have become a half time pie stall, before being demolished to make way for the new stand extension. Eventually that stand wad taken to bits and moved to Ayrshire for a junior club. Apologies, cant remember which one.

I remember Accies had a programme shop in the away end at old Douglas Park.

892F29EF-30A7-4020-B962-C358C79E9FE1.thumb.jpeg.f844059b402d639cd79d53135cf05568.jpeg
I love this photo. My first* ever view of Hampden was roughly from this very angle at the League Cup final in 1985. The slope of that roof opposite was incredible.

I also stood here at the 1986 and 1987 Scottish Cup Finals. Strangely, apart from a QP v Aberdeen tie in late 90s, I can hardly think of another time I've ever been on the North Stand side since then, yet I've frequently been to East, West and South (dozens of times) since.

All-in, probably hundreds of games at Hampden but none of them on that North side of the pitch.

* My second view of Hampden was from the North Western corner** to watch Scotland 0 East Germany 0 in 1985. That game really stands out, I can still see floodlights in my mind's eye. Probably my first ever night time game. Floodlights are still amazing to me!

** Pretty much an identical view to watching Killie v Ayr and Killie v Hibs. #YellowDaffodils

On 03/12/2020 at 02:20, Academically Deficient said:

Brings back a load of memories.

Including taking a young lady to a game v Brechin which Accies won 5-0, only time I ever sat in the new stand (being a gentleman I couldn't subject her to the terracing). 

Oddly enough, she never asked to go back. Which was a shame, as Accies beat Brechin 9-1 later in the season.

Have any other P&Bers had a disappointing romantic interlude at a lower league fixture? 😆

Yes, 94 or 95 took the love my life (at that time) to Central Park to watch the Loons, can't remember much about the game or the result.

She won the 50/50 at half time £88, paid for the petrol money to the game and back.  We were living in Solihull at the time, romantic weekend to Cowdenbeath😁

Edited by SlipperyP