A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

13 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Definitely Gayfield, still has the same fence, although with advertising boards along the front.

Must be season 68/9 old First Division 2-1 victory for Arbroath. They had drawn 2-2 at Pittodrie earlier that season

I love the details when you zoom in.

Very few club colours, just the occasional flecks off the few red scarves.

The bunnet seems to be on its way out here compared to those classic 1950s type terrace photos.

Crowd demographic is overwhelmingly working aged man, as would be typical.

The match ball seems to be a Minerva Supreme. But an orange ball on a day without snow?

The grass looks like it has the consistency of a slab of marble.

The photographer does seem to be getting awfae close to the action. Maybe a proto goal line assistant referee!minerva-footballs.jpeg

Below is a photo courtesy of Steve Finan's smashing book Lifted Over The Turnstiles which I thought was just brilliant - apologies in advance if I'm repeating an earlier post (too lazy to search back through the thread).  It's from the construction of the Jerry Kerr L-shaped cantilever stand at Tannadice back in '61 - the (then incomplete) stand was apparently used before it had "namby pamby" things like stairs to climb up to it!  Christ only knows what today's Health and Safety gurus would make of this ....... risk assessment?  What's a risk assessment?

DSC04179comp.JPG

On 20/11/2020 at 22:51, Drew Brees said:

Certainly looks like it. Not found anything larger in Europe.

200,000 at maracana. emoji46.png

Allegedly one of the design specifications for the Maracana was that it should have a greater capacity than Hampden for the very reason that they knew it would attain world record crowds.

Sadly they wouldn't see Scotland's finest gracing their turf.  OK, they'd not have visits from the Ugly Sisters  - so that's a plus.

I'm pretty sure Hampden holds every European record bar the record for a domestic league game.

International 149,145 Scotland v England 1937

Domestic Cup Final 147,365 Aberdeen v Celtic 1937

European Cup Final 127,621 Real Madrid v E. Frankfurt 1960

European Cup tie 136,505 Celtic v Leeds 1970

The record for a league game in Scotland (and the UK) is 118,567  at Ibrox for Rangers v Celtic in 1939. I don't know if there's been a higher figure in Europe for a league match.

25 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Albert Tatlock and Minnie Caldwell leaning on the fence (one for the teenagers there).

When I zoomed in to see if I’m in the photo (don’t think so), Albert Tatlock was the first name that came to me. It must be him up at the Red Lion Caravan Park for his holidays from Coronation Street.

7 hours ago, Eednud said:

Must be season 68/9 old First Division 2-1 victory for Arbroath. They had drawn 2-2 at Pittodrie earlier that season

And we defeated unbeaten St Mirren - fresh from a 1-0 victory over Rangers in front of 40,000 + fans the previous week - 2-0 at Pittodrie the Saturday after the 2-2 draw with Arbroath.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

I'm pretty sure Hampden holds every European record bar the record for a domestic league game.

International 149,145 Scotland v England 1937

Domestic Cup Final 147,365 Aberdeen v Celtic 1937

European Cup Final 127,621 Real Madrid v E. Frankfurt 1960

European Cup tie 136,505 Celtic v Leeds 1970

The record for a league game in Scotland (and the UK) is 118,567  at Ibrox for Rangers v Celtic in 1939. I don't know if there's been a higher figure in Europe for a league match.

Shove this right up Baddiel and Skinners the Craig Levein word and all the other ####### ####s who think they gave fitba' to the world

8 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

The flag is also a bit of a giveaway.  I take it back then the home team changed?  Maroon and red would have been a clash.

It's probably fair to assume so, my guess is Arbroath would have probably worn white. The idea back in those days was that since the home team would have more than one set of kits at their ground the away team would just bring one set and the home team could change accordingly. I've never been a big fan of that idea, but it's alien to me as I started watching football in the mid to late 90s.

The rule in England was the home team changed until the 1920s.  Rugby kept the rule a lot longer, perhaps because there was sometimes no easy way to tell if there would be a clash.

Until 1972 the rule in the FA Cup - no idea if it was the Scottish Cup as well - was that if there was a colour clash, then BOTH teams changed.  Which was a bit daft.  Two teams playing in blue might both have a change kit in yellow or white.  So very often there were ad hoc third kits, sometimes borrowing one from a neighbouring club.

22 hours ago, House Bartender said:

Allegedly one of the design specifications for the Maracana was that it should have a greater capacity than Hampden for the very reason that they knew it would attain world record crowds.

Sadly they wouldn't see Scotland's finest gracing their turf.  OK, they'd not have visits from the Ugly Sisters  - so that's a plus.

Pelo contrário!

1972 Independence Cup...

304eb192056eeebf52a4f83ac656ca18.jpg

(130,000 crowd btw)

Edited by Lurkst

23 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

The rule in England was the home team changed until the 1920s.  Rugby kept the rule a lot longer, perhaps because there was sometimes no easy way to tell if there would be a clash.

Until 1972 the rule in the FA Cup - no idea if it was the Scottish Cup as well - was that if there was a colour clash, then BOTH teams changed.  Which was a bit daft.  Two teams playing in blue might both have a change kit in yellow or white.  So very often there were ad hoc third kits, sometimes borrowing one from a neighbouring club.

When St. Mirren played Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup at Tannadice in the 60-61 season Saints strip was all white and United also wore white. I've no idea why DU didn't change as they were the home side but someone from Saints nipped across the road to Dens and borrowed Dundee's kit.

Saints won 1-0.

However, the least said about 25/03/2000 the better.

I'm sure I'd seen Hearts v Aberdeen games where Hearts were in maroon and Aberdeen in red but I couldn't find any pics on Google.

There is a pic of a Hearts v Aberdeen women's game where this happened. Perhaps Grade 3 refs are able to tell the difference between maroon and red better than Grade 1 refs.. 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

When St. Mirren played Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup at Tannadice in the 60-61 season Saints strip was all white and United also wore white. I've no idea why DU didn't change as they were the home side but someone from Saints nipped across the road to Dens and borrowed Dundee's kit.

Saints won 1-0.

However, the least said about 25/03/2000 the better.

United would have worn their Arsenal style change strip. Over the road the same day Dundee played in all white v a blue and white striped Rangers losing 1-5.

I remember being at many Celtic v Hibs games, including cup finals where both teams wore their traditional  green and white strips without the referees and linesmen claiming it was impossible to tell the difference. If you want to know why football ends up with ridiculous things like teams not being allowed the same colour of shorts, watch the Champions League and Europa League draws. The people overseeing these are guys who have real power in the game but look like mannequins. When Infantino was doing these draws I just assumed he was some suave flunky who was rolled out for the cameras. I didnt realise for quite a while what his day job was and thought he probably spent most of his days polishing the Uefa silver (no euphemism intended). Can anyone really see those types telling referees it is a piece of bloody nonsense when they claim they can’t tell the difference between a maroon top and a crimson one? It isn’t as if these stupid rules on strip colours have improved refereeing standards.

Edited by Drewmc