A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 23/01/2021 at 19:37, tamthebam said:

It wasn't the more famous Celtic and Hearts John Colquhoun (who'd played for Stirling Albion) but it was a relation (nephew?) who played that night.

Hendrie was a Meadowbank legend and, yes, Graeme "Louis" Armstrong also played with Stirling.

Thanks for the uodate on that. I remember Gary McKay falling out with Tom Hendrie ( St Mirren) when managing Airdrie and chasing  him down the tunnell at full time! Don't know what ensued!   

On 23/01/2021 at 19:37, tamthebam said:

It wasn't the more famous Celtic and Hearts John Colquhoun (who'd played for Stirling Albion) but it was a relation (nephew?) who played that night.

Hendrie was a Meadowbank legend and, yes, Graeme "Louis" Armstrong also played with Stirling.

Was it John Colquhoun that played for Ipswich before coming back to Scotland? Then went to Benburb before chucking it.

47 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Was it John Colquhoun that played for Ipswich before coming back to Scotland? Then went to Benburb before chucking it.

Can't recall John Colquhoun, any of the three who played for Stirling Albion, going to Ipswich. Think the three of them were related, the older John, who played down south, being John's (ex Celtic and Hearts) dad.

16 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Can't recall John Colquhoun, any of the three who played for Stirling Albion, going to Ipswich. Think the three of them were related, the older John, who played down south, being John's (ex Celtic and Hearts) dad.

No, he signed for Ipswich from school and was released a couple of years later. He came back and had a few trials before before going junior. He's another in a long line of players I worked with and failed miserably to get near in work teams.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

No, he signed for Ipswich from school and was released a couple of years later. He came back and had a few trials before before going junior. He's another in a long line of players I worked with and failed miserably to get near in work teams.

Is that the John Colquhoun who is in the Albion reserve team line up above, Sarge?

3 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Thanks for the uodate on that. I remember Gary McKay falling out with Tom Hendrie ( St Mirren) when managing Airdrie and chasing  him down the tunnell at full time! Don't know what ensued!   

Probably shat it and got John Coughlin to sort out McKay!

On 23/01/2021 at 00:12, tamthebam said:

IMG_20210122_213124491.thumb.jpg.30510241abcab437070035546210c012.jpg

Meadowbank Thistle's first ever reserve match.

No 4 Lee Bullen was signed from Penicuik. Lots of effort but couldn't hit a coo's erse with a banjo and so was sold to Stenny. Then he disappeared...

...he went to Hong Kong and played in a game against England where he took the piss out of them. As a result he came back to the UK where he became a hero at Dunfermline and a legend at Sheffield Wednesday. 

Lee Bullen was a dick. Apparently we "stole" Dunfermline's title in 99/00

On 23/01/2021 at 20:07, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Armstrong played over 1000 first class games didn't he?

Think number 1000 was at Ibrox?

I wonder which other players have made that milestone. Malpas?

The man on the right did...

Large

Tommy Hutchison tries to squeeze a cross past West Germany's Paul Breitner during a friendly in Frankfurt, March 1974.

Tommy holds what must be a unique record in that he made his league debut in his teens, his international debut in his twenties, his national cup final debut in his thirties, and his European debut in his forties!

2 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Mon the reds..

the only ground I've ever been that the home fans were kept back for 15 mins after the final whistle to allow the away support to get away safely