A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

15 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Yes - football was a lot cheaper then, less tribal – and I believe that even cup finals were pay at the gate for the enclosures. So you'd get a lot of supporters just turning up for the event.

The 1985 Cup final was pay at the gate, which seems mind blowingly recent.

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The 1985 Cup final was pay at the gate, which seems mind blowingly recent.

9 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

1987 even more recent. Only the Main Stand was all-ticket and this was probably only due to it having a reduced capacity post Bradford fire.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Was the 91 cup final not PATG? Some of my mates definitely decided to go on the day. 

Tam Cowan probably answered my question on OTB at the weekend. 

I'm waiting on others mentioning the '74, '81, '88, '05 and '14 Finals and then there will be a full agonising set.

I'm recalling that I had a ticket for the three games mentioned, there may have been cash gates also.

Here's the '91 ticket:

DSCN7602.JPG

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Was the 91 cup final not PATG? Some of my mates definitely decided to go on the day. 

It was - 5 of us went with our Motherwell supporting mate. 

I was also at the 1987 final as well and paid at the gate. 

2 hours ago, Lurkst said:

The semi final replay certainly was 

11 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Yes - football was a lot cheaper then, less tribal – and I believe that even cup finals were pay at the gate for the enclosures. So you'd get a lot of supporters just turning up for the event.

And if you wanted to see a Cup Final (or any football) the only option was to go.

2 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Wales v Scotland. Ninian park 1979

1576D722-2FE3-4DF8-A645-43671F13E06C.jpeg

1 hour ago, Northboy said:

John Toshack hat trick in a resounding 3-0 Welsh victory as I recall. 

Nightmare, softened only by loads of pints of Brains which you sort of got used to after a while. Bought a horrible tie at Harry Fenton for £1 so I could get into the dancing, think it was the Top Rank Suite. At the door were two guys and only one had a tie. Bouncers wouldn't let them in so they cut the tie in half and wore half each. Got in.

5 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Nightmare, softened only by loads of pints of Brains which you sort of got used to after a while. Bought a horrible tie at Harry Fenton for £1 so I could get into the dancing, think it was the Top Rank Suite. At the door were two guys and only one had a tie. Bouncers wouldn't let them in so they cut the tie in half and wore half each. Got in.

Always been intrigued by Brains. Never had it. Is it like a Welsh equivalent to heavy, or more like English bitter? Maybe asking a lot after 40 odd years 😄🍺

10 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Always been intrigued by Brains. Never had it. Is it like a Welsh equivalent to heavy, or more like English bitter? Maybe asking a lot after 40 odd years 😄🍺

Yes, asking a lot to somebody who viewed with suspicion anything that wasn't Tartan Special 😂 It was all keg back then. Wales was just part of England to us anyway 😉
Had it from a cask about 10 years ago when I was in Caernarfon with Mrs Mantis. A nice pint, a bit malty rather than hoppy which is what I like. Or I could be remembering something else completely...

18 hours ago, Torpar said:

It was, my dad slipped the turnstile guy an extra pound or two to give me a lift over 

Why didn't your Dad do it himself?

13 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

I'll give you an alternative view to @The Mantis.

I tried Brains about that time and near boaked. I returned to Cardiff about 40 years later, having switched from lager to beer about 5 years before. I thought Brains would be worth re-visiting, so I did and near boaked again. They have widened their range though and you can get others that are better than the traditional Brains SA.

This thread corrected a misconception I had. I've a been to Cardiff and Swansea for Scotland games and thought I'd been to Wrexham. The game I was thinking of was the one Alan Brazil scored, turns out that was Cardiff as well.

Which underlines the fact that other types of beer than Brains were available.

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Why didn't your Dad do it himself?

I'll give you an alternative view to @The Mantis.

I tried Brains about that time and near boaked. I returned to Cardiff about 40 years later, having switched from lager to beer about 5 years before. I thought Brains would be worth re-visiting, so I did and near boaked again. They have widened their range though and you can get others that are better than the traditional Brains SA.

This thread corrected a misconception I had. I've a been to Cardiff and Swansea for Scotland games and thought I'd been to Wrexham. The game I was thinking of was the one Alan Brazil scored, turns out that was Cardiff as well.

Which underlines the fact that other types of beer than Brains were available.

I've never been to Wales. Been to Tennessee, Ireland, all over Europe. Never Wales.

Seeing that photo of Terry Yorath has made me even less inclined to go. Also, the beer gives you the boak, so I've heard.