A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Ernie is where I identify older and modern football changing over. He was at Airdrie round when I started going with my mates rather than my Dad. Ernie had played in the early 60s and John Martin took over in goals at the same time a lot of other "modern" players came in. Guys that were around my age or couple of years older. Some I even knew.

Derek and John Whiteford, Walter Clarke and Tommy Walker had all been my teachers, so seemed older.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Ernie is where I identify older and modern football changing over. He was at Airdrie round when I started going with my mates rather than my Dad. Ernie had played in the early 60s and John Martin took over in goals at the same time a lot of other "modern" players came in. Guys that were around my age or couple of years older. Some I even knew.

Derek and John Whiteford, Walter Clarke and Tommy Walker had all been my teachers, so seemed older.

So? Caldervale HS FP

49 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

So? Caldervale HS FP

Aye, for my sins. Same year as Sammy Conn, one or two below Ian Angus and a few behind Sandy Clark and  Norrie Anderson. The one that made it were good, but I don't think they were ever considered the best at the time.

I was lucky if I made the second team before retiring at 14.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

Aye, for my sins. Same year as Sammy Conn, one or two below Ian Angus and a few behind Sandy Clark and  Norrie Anderson. The one that made it were good, but I don't think they were ever considered the best at the time.

I was lucky if I made the second team before retiring at 14.

Last bumped into Sammy at one of the Wembley trips where Croker tried to ban us from getting tickets. Ian Angus  - 'Well cup final hero - was the year below me. Most recently met Norrie Anderson at of all things a Motherwell Burns Supper at Fir Park. Used to love wearing my MFC shorts to PE, used to wind big Derek and Pete Russell up no end 😀

1 minute ago, steelman1991 said:

Last bumped into Sammy at one of the Wembley trips where Croker tried to ban us from getting tickets. Ian Angus  - 'Well cup final hero - was the year below me. Most recently met Norrie Anderson at of all things a Motherwell Burns Supper at Fir Park. Used to love wearing my MFC shorts to PE, used to wind big Derek and Pete Russell up no end 😀

You're too old then, I won't know you.

Thought this an appropriate day to post this picture - one of the programmes that I bought for the Aberdeen v Real Madrid game outside the Ullevi the day before the game.

I was lucky enough to bump into Alex Ferguson and Alfredo Di Stefano (who were outside chatting) and got them both to autograph the cover - also signed by Doug Rougvie.....

The week after the game I went round to Johnnie Hewitts house knocked on the door and got him to sign my match ticket (still got that in amontage of tickets from over the years)

Gooijng to the dinner at the Marcliffe tonight and bringing another programme for the game (this one is in English, Spanish and Swedish) and hope to get a few signatures on that one - I believe there is a player at each table which is great.

Gothenburg.jpg

2 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Thought this an appropriate day to post this picture - one of the programmes that I bought for the Aberdeen v Real Madrid game outside the Ullevi the day before the game.

I was lucky enough to bump into Alex Ferguson and Alfredo Di Stefano (who were outside chatting) and got them both to autograph the cover - also signed by Doug Rougvie.....

The week after the game I went round to Johnnie Hewitts house knocked on the door and got him to sign my match ticket (still got that in amontage of tickets from over the years)

Gooijng to the dinner at the Marcliffe tonight and bringing another programme for the game (this one is in English, Spanish and Swedish) and hope to get a few signatures on that one - I believe there is a player at each table which is great.

Gothenburg.jpg

Brilliant

Out of interest, how did you do your montage of ticket stubs? In a frame and hanging on the wall? Do you fix them with blu tact on cardboard or something?

I want to do something similar but I haven't decided how yet...

7 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It was playing against me up the park that made Angus the player he became. I also played against Ian Scanlon. It's a disgrace I don't get invited to their reunions.

Here's Ian doing the business against Oldco with the winner at Pittodrie in 1986. My first win against them as I had only seen two 0-0 draws previously so Angus had a special place in my heart.

6997bc49bc77ad29bf78149815fe534c.thumb.jpg.433277d7f21f67f4d077f627718ed53e.jpg

In my opinion, Ian Angus also scored one of the finest volleys caught on camera for Aberdeen, with a consolation goal in a Scottish Cup tie at Tynecastle. Superb technique, and was always a fine striker of the ball.

His goal is on 26:00 of the below video..

Edited by Bogbrush1903

3 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Gothenburg.jpg

Superb. Have a great night (you'll be there by now I realise).

Radio Times from October 1952 showing there would be a live TV broadcast of the second half of a friendly between Arsenal and Hibs. Arsenal won 7-1. Arsenal won the their league and Hibs finished second on goal average in the Scottish League.

IMG_1610.jpeg

1 hour ago, Eednud said:

Radio Times from October 1952 showing there would be a live TV broadcast of the second half of a friendly between Arsenal and Hibs. Arsenal won 7-1. Arsenal won the their league and Hibs finished second on goal average in the Scottish League.

IMG_1610.jpeg

Good job it was a night game.

Otherwise it would have clashed with Andy Pandy.

It was an absolutely brilliant night at the Marcliffe....feel so priviledged to have been there.  The entire team were there (obviously minus Neale Cooper) along with Archie Knox (in brilliant form) and the host Peter Martin was brilliant.  All the players and subs were up on the stage at some point ...there was even a rendition of "The European Song" at the end with Willie Miller lifting a replica ECWC at the end (Willie was absolutely pished but like all the other was very clearly having one of the nights of their lives)

I got one of the other programmes (English and Spanish version) I bought in Gothenburg signed by Alex McLeish and Eric Black....I did chat to a few others but forgot to ask.

Programme.jpg

2 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

Good job it was a night game.

Otherwise it would have clashed with Andy Pandy.

That was the day before. Interesting that nothing was on, other than probably the test pattern, between Andy Pandy finishing and Children’s Television then a huge break before Newsreel.