A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

22 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

No, Phimister:

Screenshot2023-08-26at12_11_47.thumb.png.bbb54b2428f87e7cd3a620d0a6b37fc8.png

(Dundee Courier, 14 September 1892; Strathmore had just lost to new bugs Strathmore Athletic in the Scottish Cup 1st prelim round)

“….sent him to a warm climate which is reached neither by rail nor steamer…”

What’s all that about then ? …..    euphemism ?

1 hour ago, A96 said:

What’s all that about then ? …..    euphemism ?

He would have told the ref to "Go to Hell".

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

He would have told the ref to "Go to Hell".

Ahh…..cheers min.  Seems a bit odd that the report didn’t just say that. Wouldn’t have thought “hell” was considered all that bad , even in that era

3 hours ago, A96 said:

21 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

In 2023 that could just about be any of the Hebridean islands or Arran.

Not according to Calmac these days ... 🤔

16 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tuesday 20th November 1923

EDIT: worth saying Quinn survived his ordeal, and went on to become head groundsman at Parkhead. He later served as club trainer from 1930 to 1932 before returning to his groundkeeping.

Poisoned by a mixture with Belladonna?

Spoiler

MV5BNzQ5NDQ0MDE1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTIwNDk5Nw@@._V1_.thumb.jpg.727a8c956f46ba10bacda3b123a43d02.jpg

I'm surprised a mixture of wolfsbane, deadly nightshade and chloroform were considered wise ingredients in heat rub by the 1890s... let alone accidentally drinking the stuff... but apparently it was an established recipe called 'ABC Liniment' and despite poisonings lasted until 1930s!

A.B.C. Liniment - Wikipedia

On 22/08/2023 at 12:10, paul wright scores said:

Don't know why but my dad took me to that game.   I thought is was peeing down but doesn't look like it from the photos. 

Think I have the programme somewhere in the loft. 

Beautiful August night.

A shilling (5p) to get in plus fireworks.

9 hours ago, A96 said:

Ahh…..cheers min.  Seems a bit odd that the report didn’t just say that. Wouldn’t have thought “hell” was considered all that bad , even in that era

They were still very coy about anything to do with religion.  Even in the 1950s the BBC refused to play "Hold My Hand" by that rumbustious yahoo Don Cornell because it starts "so this is the kingdom of Heaven".

Steve Itchybaws and Jimmy 1690 Nicholl in October 1981 as Scotland earned a goalless draw at Windsor Park to qualify for the following years World Cup in Spain, our opponents that night would join us by beating Israel in their final match, the Israelis were actually the bottom seed in that group, the supposed whipping boy and the two teams who missed out on qualification behind us were Portugal and Sweden which, looking back is pretty mental considering the modern pecking order in European football. 

FB_IMG_1693248401585.jpg

Kenny Burns, or Kenneth as his Nottingham Forest manager, the late great Brian Clough referred to him, up for a corner against Peru in 1978 on a night Ally McLeod, Alan Rough and virtually all of Scotland would rather forget on what in hindsight wasn't even the low point of that World Cup for Scotland.

Remember watching an interview with Alan Rough about that World Cup and it's staggering how unprofessional Scotland were going into that tournament, particularly from the manager it has to be said who did absolutely zero homework or analysis on our opponents, Rough asked if they had anyone decent on set pieces and McLeod shrugged his shoulders in a 'haven't a clue' type response, Laughable and embarrassing in equal measure. 

FB_IMG_1693248207320.jpg