A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 01/10/2018 at 12:00, Flybhoy said:

Correct, 3-2 it was, my bad.

The same night we beat Rapid Vienna 3-1 at Celtic Park only for UEFA to order a replay, long story that one, still hate Rapid Vienna, b*****ds.

Pretty sure that wasn't the same night.  The UEFA Cup had an extra round compared to the other two and that was the one filled by the Dundee United / Man United tie.

Oddly enough I was at that Rapid Vienna game.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Might that be Derek Whiteford?

Derek Whiteford.

It might well be. 

I stand corrected especially with the revealing mascot pic above*. Bit of a stunner such big crowds featured for the tournament. I knew Scottish clubs had a few cracking results but didn't think the English took it as seriously as they must have done. Interesting stuff.

*benefit of the doubt given that the lad wasn't a St Helens rugby league fan that got lost.

ETA - It was the Final - http://oldscottishfootball.blogspot.com/2013/04/derby-county-v-airdrieonians-1972.html

Edited by 7-2

2 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Derek Whiteford.

It might well be. 

I stand corrected especially with the revealing mascot pic above*. Bit of a stunner such big crowds featured for the tournament. I knew Scottish clubs had a few cracking results but didn't think the English took it as seriously as they must have done. Interesting stuff.

*benefit of the doubt given that the lad wasn't a St Helens rugby league fan that got lost.

ETA - It was the Final - http://oldscottishfootball.blogspot.com/2013/04/derby-county-v-airdrieonians-1972.html

Proper old school tying of fitba boot laces that.

On Tuesday, October 02, 2018 at 20:27, 7-2 said:

Derby County had never played in Europe at that point so Airdrieonians must've seemed like exotic opponents.

Edited by Lurkst

On 7/29/2018 at 16:12, Flybhoy said:

Started out as a midfielder in the late 70's then gradually moved back the way as he got older,  most of his appearances I recall growing up in the 1980's he was a centre half but often played further up in midfield on occasion. 

He was never the most technically gifted player ever, Roy himself would be the first to admit that,  but had tremendous energy, fitness and will to win, often took games by the scruff of the neck and pulled team mates off the floor when all looked lost, none more so than the centenary double season of 1988, scored a decent amount of goals for a defender/midfielder including an excellent record from the penalty spot. 

I do remember him missing a penalty fro St Mirren in a shoot out at East End Park  He was great for us otherwise though

9 hours ago, Austinho said:

Well-dressed Hibs fans at Easter Road watching their team against Falkirk, 30th September 1958.

10628898_779294395462471_3895481539383498632_o.jpg

That is a cracking photie tbf.

Never knew Frank Spencer was a Hibby though :lol:

Boy in the foreground deffo wishes he went to the Hearts game as well.

That is a cracking photie tbf.

Never knew Frank Spencer was a Hibby though [emoji38]

Boy in the foreground deffo wishes he went to the Hearts game as well.
He maybe did. I'm not sure how true the stories about fans alternating between Tynie and Easter Road back then. Certainly heard that.

1 hour ago, Heart of Northern said:

He maybe did. I'm not sure how true the stories about fans alternating between Tynie and Easter Road back then. Certainly heard that.

That was the way then. Work on a Saturday morning then off to the pub then the match. Bet the poor c***s used to swallow like hoors when Hibs were at hame.

That was the way then. Work on a Saturday morning then off to the pub then the match. Bet the poor c***s used to swallow like hoors when Hibs were at hame.
Bet the poor c***s used to swallow like hoors when Hibs were at hame.

Rearrange the above sentence to suit [emoji23]

5bb684051670a_strollers1911.thumb.jpg.bae25d013feef680ad2cf726998fb1bc.jpg

Capital aces Civil Service Strollers FC in 1911. Interesting terrace/stand in the background. 

Nicked from Strollers' twitter feed. As they're celebrating 110 years of mediocrity fine history they'll be tweeting a few more pics from the archives. 

6 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

I would say Motherwell and not Love St as some other posted has said.

6 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

I would say Motherwell and not Love St as some other posted has said.

Now you say that, I can see it. Also there appears to be a burn running along the right hand side of the photo. Does that fit in with Fir Park?