What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

45 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think it takes place ahead of the match but aye, they still play the clip on the screens at half time.

That would make more sense. It did occur to me why the manager was there at half time. 

The magic of recorded tv is still beyond me clearly. 

22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That would make more sense. It did occur to me why the manager was there at half time. 

The magic of recorded tv is still beyond me clearly. 

Once it reaches Aberdeen, remember to buy a VCR rather than a betamax. 

14 hours ago, AJF said:

Putting aside any thoughts of tin-pottery for a moment, its origins have nothing to do with masonry nor could it be described as sinister.

It was a gift to the club after we participated in a benefit match to raise funds for the dependants of 30 miners who lost their lives in an accident in Sheffield.

I agree with you re the gift part and the fact that it’s existence has noble origins.  

But it’s now been adapted into some creepy ceremony which quacks like Masons. I’m also not sure of the connection between dead miners and the monarchy maybe you or someone else knows more about that aspect.

Edited by Stevie Kirk
Typo

25 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I agree with you re the gift part and the fact that it’s existence has noble origins.  

But now it’s now been adapted into some creepy ceremony which quacks like Masons. I’m also not sure of the connection between dead miners and the monarchy maybe you or someone else knows more about that aspect.

iirc the cups were handed out to English cups around the coronation of George VI - this particular one went to Stoke

Rangers played a friendly against them to raise funds after a mining disaster, and the Stoke Chairman gave them the cup as a thank you.

So technically it's second hand and the King didn't give them one

19 minutes ago, Peil said:

iirc the cups were handed out to English cups around the coronation of George VI - this particular one went to Stoke

Rangers played a friendly against them to raise funds after a mining disaster, and the Stoke Chairman gave them the cup as a thank you.

Yeah, there was something like 30 of the cups commissioned with each of the English founding clubs getting one to celebrate the coronation.

There were 2 spares. 1 was kept by the person who commissioned them (the stoke chairman), the other given to Rangers as a thanks for playing in the benefit match, with the request that it is used to toast the reigning monarch each new year.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yeah, there was something like 30 of the cups commissioned with each of the English founding clubs getting one to celebrate the coronation.

There were 2 spares. 1 was kept by the person who commissioned them (the stoke chairman), the other given to Rangers as a thanks for playing in the benefit match, with the request that it is used to toast the reigning monarch each new year.

😂

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

Wait, if Rangers are good guys...

are-we-the-baddies-bad.gif

Tbf like many traditions it actually seems to have evolved a bit (or been invented?) over time. Indeed press coverage of it at disaster tie in 1937 don't seem to mention conditions, plus it doesn't actually seem to have started until 1939.

It has also become the first competitive first-team home game... champagne has become whisky... and "after the game" has become before.

Btw it's worth noting Rangers cup is not actually the only example in Scotland: there is another in Hampden museum given to SFA after Britain v Europe game. It wasn't regularly used and isn't now AFAIA.

1 hour ago, Peil said:

Thanks mate. I suppose this confirms that Rangers have latched onto the association with monarchy and made a big deal of it as usual. 

it’s like Celtic toasting from an old Party 7 keg left over in Belahouston park when the Pope visited.

Not the SPFL but we may have an all-timer from Sunderland here.

I am now asking that Scotland's football clubs do much more tinpottery, to help the Sunderland lads out.

ETA -20240104_162954.thumb.jpg.f0eacd93b5e6e5f5da3012b27509413b.jpg

Sunderland should just do a Rangers and die for this.

Edited by ClydeTon