What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not sure what the set up with that is anymore, it used to be in house. Muirton Suite seemingly dies a death on games against them pre, and post, match though. 

So we could have zero fans paying to get in beyond season ticket holders, and only pie sales to combat that.

If you have a passing interest in Scottiah football you'll know St Johnstone are in Perth.

If you dont have an interest, you're unlikely to come to a game at all, never mind because theres a poster in a shop window.

So your target market are people already with an active interest in football?

Big clubs can get by on being known. Wee clubs like St Johnstone need to work harder to build their brand.

Or just expect the Old Firm and Dundee clubs to subsidise their clubs. Whatever works i guess.

11 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

So your target market are people already with an active interest in football?

Big clubs can get by on being known. Wee clubs like St Johnstone need to work harder to build their brand.

Or just expect the Old Firm and Dundee clubs to subsidise their clubs. Whatever works i guess.

How many folk do you know who develop an interest in football past their teens? 

We gave out free tickets to local schools and let kids in for free to try and target kids who maybe hadnt decided on a club yet. Most teenagers in Perth seem pretty set on supporting an EPL side tbh.

Your last comment is just embarrassing, and the same pish Rangers fans have been spouting, so theres lovely company for you there. Your own club is burning millions of pounds into a black hole to achieve something we managed while turning over a profit, maybe you should look closer at home before pointing fingers and claiming you know how to run a club correctly. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

Thing is, though, if these estimates are in the right ballpark (I think they're a tad high), St Johnstone's ST numbers don't seem that bad in comparison to other top tier teams - the worst cases, by far, are Livingston or Hamilton. Apart from the obvious edge-cases (the arsecheeks, for obvious reasons, and Ross County, where the catchment area is a bit ill-defined), the ratio of St Johnstone's ST holders to Perth's population is roughly par for the course, and only slightly on the low side. I suspect that the problem is that in the current climate, you only get about 5% of the population regularly showing up to see their local team these days, and trying to get more than that is an uphill struggle, fighting against the impulse to gloryhunt the OF and EPL, and against other forms of entertainment.

Having said that, the numbers suggest that Motherwell and Kilmarnock have a much higher rate of ST uptake than the average; Killie's got a boost presumably on the back of recent results, while I don't know about Motherwell. Maybe it's a case of 'do whatever Motherwell does', unless the reason for Motherwell's relatively high ST uptake is that it's slurping up a ton of fans from the Hamilton side of the tracks, which isn't an easy option for a team based in Perth.

20 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

3 tier Oxford United signing Stephen O'Donnell is tin pot.

You mean the same Oxford United with an average attendance higher than Kilmarnock's and who play in a league that has more revenue?

It was tinpot when monied 5th tier Salford signed Adam Rooney from Aberdeen but Kilmarnock to Oxford United is a pretty average move

Thing is, though, if these estimates are in the right ballpark (I think they're a tad high), St Johnstone's ST numbers don't seem that bad in comparison to other top tier teams - the worst cases, by far, are Livingston or Hamilton. Apart from the obvious edge-cases (the arsecheeks, for obvious reasons, and Ross County, where the catchment area is a bit ill-defined), the ratio of St Johnstone's ST holders to Perth's population is roughly par for the course, and only slightly on the low side. I suspect that the problem is that in the current climate, you only get about 5% of the population regularly showing up to see their local team these days, and trying to get more than that is an uphill struggle, fighting against the impulse to gloryhunt the OF and EPL, and against other forms of entertainment.
Having said that, the numbers suggest that Motherwell and Kilmarnock have a much higher rate of ST uptake than the average; Killie's got a boost presumably on the back of recent results, while I don't know about Motherwell. Maybe it's a case of 'do whatever Motherwell does', unless the reason for Motherwell's relatively high ST uptake is that it's slurping up a ton of fans from the Hamilton side of the tracks, which isn't an easy option for a team based in Perth.
Motherwell's own CEO called out the fantasist Agent Scotland on these figures, which are roughly as reliable as finding an average punter on the street and asking them what they think the numbers are.

On 04/01/2020 at 13:33, Aim Here said:

We dont publish our figures anywhere for season ticket sales so hes just making them up.

On 04/01/2020 at 05:35, senorsoupe said:

You mean the same Oxford United with an average attendance higher than Kilmarnock's and who play in a league that has more revenue?

It was tinpot when monied 5th tier Salford signed Adam Rooney from Aberdeen but Kilmarnock to Oxford United is a pretty average move

I was more thinking that Scotland’s RB being an English 3rd tier player is tin pot. Although you make a good point that maybe it’s better than being a Scottish Premiership player.

Hearts signing the astonishing Glenn Whelan and letting him train two days a week so he could shamble about like a fucking clown on Saturday.

The way Hearts have been ran in general under Budge and Levein, tbh. Seen amateur clubs act more professionally.

5 minutes ago, JamboMikey said:

Hearts signing the astonishing Glenn Whelan and letting him train two days a week so he could shamble about like a fucking clown on Saturday.

The way Hearts have been ran in general under Budge and Levein, tbh. Seen amateur clubs act more professionally.

Paul Hanlon's equaliser is the Genesis of it all. Pleasing.

Fuel up the Cessna.

3 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Paul Hanlon's equaliser is the Genesis of it all. Pleasing.

Fuel up the Cessna.

That Hearts side would put about 5 past the current one.

We also got a money spinning replay out of that sorry affair.

giphy.gif&key=f29519996581e4b3de547428a5

8 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Moneyed outlier of a club buys past-it striker from a higher division for shag-loads of cash. More of an indictment on England’s situation than the one in Scotland tbh.

Folk still think we lost our prolific, peak of his career striker for peanuts, do they?

15 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

IMG_5958.jpg

I’m sure this has been discussed elsewhere as well but a minter.

They’re making it worse...

https://gmfc.net/2020/01/06/from-ceo-social-media-code-of-conduct/

This is the definition of tinpot.

Can’t see anyone called McKinnon or Mackinnon working for the club again, tbh.