What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

2 hours ago, ArtemisClydeFrog said:

Unlikely to change any time soon when thousands still march through Scotland's streets each year in support of an anti-Catholic organisation. 

To be honest I think you might be overestimating the influence these marchers have o mainstream public opinion 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Falkirk's "Front of Shirt Sponsor", Crunchy Carrots.

Falkirk shirts should always be sponsored by Budvar. Anything else just isn’t right. Not even Central Demolition cuts it for me. Budvar or nothing. 😎

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Falkirk shirts should always be sponsored by Budvar. Anything else just isn’t right. Not even Central Demolition cuts it for me. Budvar or nothing. 😎

That sponsorship was  strange and somewhat "random" (as the young folk like to say).

Still, the fans got a pre-season friendly in southern Bohemia out of it.

Not quite SPFL proper, but SPFL-related tinpottery. I was Google-street-viewing Belfast when I chanced upon this little mural.

The football stands you see in the background are those of Seaview, the home of Crusaders FC, one of the bigger teams in the Irish Football Association.

Crusaders.thumb.png.4598e9ea40da2c2ea70c12b881ad03d6.png

I wonder if the club shop will sell me a Rangers scarf.

On 12/07/2022 at 23:07, VincentGuerin said:

Incorrect. Beazer Homes or f**k all.

"What sponsor do you associate with each club" thread for this pish.

I have no idea if that is a thread on P&B but I'd be surprised if it isn't. It's peak "thinking of an excuse to post in the summer" style.

12 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

"What sponsor do you associate with each club" thread for this pish.

I have no idea if that is a thread on P&B but I'd be surprised if it isn't. It's peak "thinking of an excuse to post in the summer" style.

AT mays

Belhaven

Duff

McEwans Lager

CR Smith 

JVC

intelligent Finance

keep cigarettes away from the match

1 hour ago, stressball said:

I don’t get it 

Dundee United have re-designed their crest. They got rid of 'wasted space', moved the letters about and flipped the colour scheme. They made quite a big deal about it and now this season's strip isn't even using the 'new' crest.

43 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Dundee United have re-designed their crest. They got rid of 'wasted space', moved the letters about and flipped the colour scheme. They made quite a big deal about it and now this season's strip isn't even using the 'new' crest.

Ahh okay. The minimalist logo is honking.

I suppose sky will be able to put the new one up for Dundee instead 

On 11/07/2022 at 17:12, Clown Job said:

It really is a problem with society 

Ive said it before, all I want is for people not to be abused because of their background 

Some people refuse to accept it’s a problem we still have in Scotland, particularly towards Catholics 

I think you've got a hint of a point here, but that's all.  

I think there is a massive blind spot regarding sectarianism in Scotland, whereby it's somehow treated as all part of the fun, rather than as fucking disgusting.  I also think that an equivalence is sometimes depicted between anti-Catholic prejudice and its anti-Protestant counterpart, which is easy and not necessarily accurate.  I think the fact that one group is a minority and was primarily composed of immigrants who were actively and institutionally discriminated against, means we're not talking about two identical sentiments.

However, both clubs actively revel in the identities and the enmity that results.  I totally disagree with your suggestion that football reflects a societal issue.  This would once have been the case, but I now think the clubs do much more to shape and sustain the phenomenon than reflect it.  

To get back to what spawned all this chat on the thread, the clubs who are restricting ticket sales to OF fans are entirely right to do so.   The presence of these two clubs is cancerous to our game.  Any steps which might run counter to the wishes of the bullying clubs is welcome.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think the fact that one group is a minority and was primarily composed of immigrants who were actively and institutionally discriminated against, means we're not talking about two identical sentiments.

That Catholics in Scotland were actively discriminated against is a matter of fact.  'They' were.  Almost always causally.  To Scotland's shame.

That Catholics in Scotland were "institutionally discriminated against" is wholly different.  The Education Act of 1918 amalgamated the Presbyterian, Baptist and Anglican schools into one 'non dom' group but allowed Scotland's Catholics their own state-supported school system.

It doesn't matter if you see this is right or wrong (and I'm not fussed by it) but the true truth is that 'institutional discrimination' is tripe.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

That Catholics in Scotland were actively discriminated against is a matter of fact.  'They' were.  Almost always causally.  To Scotland's shame.

That Catholics in Scotland were "institutionally discriminated against" is wholly different.  The Education Act of 1918 amalgamated the Presbyterian, Baptist and Anglican schools into one 'non dom' group but allowed Scotland's Catholics their own state-supported school system.

It doesn't matter if you see this is right or wrong (and I'm not fussed by it) but the true truth is that 'institutional discrimination' is tripe.

Companies were allowed to operate employment practices that brazenly discriminated against Catholics.  That's what I'm getting at with 'institutional'  (I'm not even having a particular dig at Rangers here - it was more widespread than that).  

I wasn't referring to schools.  Ironically enough, I'm in favour of scrapping the idea of RC schools.