What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Still waiting for the day I meet someone from Wick or Buckie or whatever whose dad/grandad supports/supported East Fife.

These dads and grandads never seem to have supported Motherwell or Dunfermline.

I did meet an Arsenal fan once whose Grandad was a Clyde supporter. 

Perhaps not the greatest example... 

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

There was loads of Man Utd fans from Aberdeen who supported them because Fergie went there.

That is the reason my old man hates them.

Always found it odd that after the second Man Utd goal in the Champions league final you see two Aberdeen fans in the away top celebrating the winning goal. 

19:44 in if anyone's intrigued. 

Always wondered why they chose the away top, and not the presumably red home top. 

4 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Apparently you support your dad's team not your local team. Amazing what unites the Old Firm Zombies

What if my da supported Third Lanark?

8 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

There was/is a teuchter Rangers supporter on P&B who claims he supports them because they were on tele when he was a lad. 

He also supports Harchester United and The Hurricanes. 

What about Jossy's Giants?

14 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Amazing what unites the Old Firm Zombies

100% this. Some laugh watching them tie themselves in knots.

My partner's originally from North Devon so we go down to visit her family quite often, one evening sitting in the pub with her dad and brother and ended up speaking to a guy from Glasgow but been in Devon since he was a teenager (didn't ask his age but if I were to guess I'd go for 50-60). Asked him who he supports waiting on one of two obvious answers.

Cowdenbeath.

Thought he was at it but ended up having a decent chat about the lower leagues and Scottish football in general. Something you don't get with OF fans.

27 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

My partner's originally from North Devon so we go down to visit her family quite often, one evening sitting in the pub with her dad and brother and ended up speaking to a guy from Glasgow but been in Devon since he was a teenager (didn't ask his age but if I were to guess I'd go for 50-60). Asked him who he supports waiting on one of two obvious answers.

Cowdenbeath.

Thought he was at it but ended up having a decent chat about the lower leagues and Scottish football in general. Something you don't get with OF fans.

Old firm fans don't even know much or care about the league they play in.

18 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Likewise, and mine was born in Hong Kong! 

It wasn't as easy as some might think.

The pressure they had from school friends, the 'support your home team' thoughts that would creep in. I had to help suppress them.

"But Dad, Dundee are shite!" Was often the cry. "It's character building son, it makes you a better person, able to deal with adversity and future life disappointments." Was the response from me.

My kids will probably grow up resentful of me because I did this. I can wear that resentment no problem as I know I have given my club 2 more exasperated, angry boo boys for life.

18 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

The pressure they had from school friends, the 'support your home team' thoughts that would creep in. I had to help suppress them.

"But Dad, Dundee are shite!" Was often the cry. "It's character building son, it makes you a better person, able to deal with adversity and future life disappointments." Was the response from me.

My kids will probably grow up resentful of me because I did this. I can wear that resentment no problem as I know I have given my club 2 more exasperated, angry boo boys for life.

My kids (now adults) were fortunate to have been to games at the old Love St and the new stadium. They also attended both League Cup finals in 2010 & 2013.
Great memories aside from the 2010 experience. I have photos to remind me of the pain I forced them to endure.

Hope they pass on the baton to some unfortunate wee soul later in life. It’s character building being a non-OF supporter and the world is better for it. I think 😂 

Edited by Molotov

6 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I was lucky - I told my young lad that the Dees were excellent and as none of his classmates know any better, and Scottish TV exposure is limited here, he doesn't know the reality.  

Funnily enough, on Sunday we were out shopping and heading home - we turned the corner and there was a guy with a Celtic shirt on.  Obviously Scottish too, as he was bright red (maybe the embarrassment of wearing that top mind you) and a bit on the rotund size.  I wished I had seen him earlier as I'd have wound down my window and let out a "Hail, Hail, the Dees are here" but the chance passed.  

Just now, hk blues said:

we turned the corner and there was a guy with a Celtic shirt on.  Obviously Scottish too, as he was bright red (maybe the embarrassment of wearing that top mind you) and a bit on the rotund size.  I wished I had seen him earlier as I'd have wound down my window and let out a "Hail, Hail, the Dees are here" but the chance passed.  

Nah. You did the right thing. Best ignored. 

14 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Always found it odd that after the second Man Utd goal in the Champions league final you see two Aberdeen fans in the away top celebrating the winning goal. 

19:44 in if anyone's intrigued. 

Always wondered why they chose the away top, and not the presumably red home top. 

That away top was smart tbf.

If I remember correctly, they were given gifts by Atlantic Telecom for the exposure.

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Likewise, and mine was born in Hong Kong! 

Aye, I was born in Hong Kong, and support Dunfermline, and my little guy was born in Dundee* and he's going to support the Pars, unlucky wee man. 

*We were moving down to Fife the same day, convinced the wife went into early labour to avoid unpacking/packing the house.