Stand Up Comedy

JMDP

7 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

For all the pish comedians around these days, it's incredible that utter dross like this used to draw millions on TV every Saturday evening.

It’s a bit of a two sided coin, now that every one who has every thought of a joke can post it online and hope to generate a following a lot of pish does get pushed forwards.

However it does mean no longer can one half-cut producer decide who is funny enough to be pushed down the throats of the nation and leave some talented people struggling round pubs cos their face didn’t fit

4 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

For all the pish comedians around these days, it's incredible that utter dross like this used to draw millions on TV every Saturday evening.

Skip to 23:50 if you want to see the absoloute worst thing that Scotland has ever been responsible for.

I saw him at one of those 80s weekends that Butlins does.

He was really funny because he wasn't doing the suitable for TV stuff.

Changed my opinion of him and he went down really well

1 minute ago, Uncle Scan said:

I saw him at one of those 80s weekends that Butlins does.

He was really funny because he wasn't doing the suitable for TV stuff.

Changed my opinion of him and he went down really well

Did he take his troosers off? 

3 hours ago, mathematics said:

I’d love to know what happened to him.

https://www.pianoman.biz/

His journey has taken him in many different directions and, after 10 years working as a full time musician in the cruise ship industry, he recently re-married and has settled in Bournemouth where he is adjusting to a new life on land .

Edited by dirty dingus

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Carr's latest Netflix special reviewed in the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/apr/19/jimmy-carr-natural-born-killer-review-a-moral-vacuum-laughing-at-his-own-jokes

".........the man’s material is so edgy that he actually has to scan the room in case the woke police are in. “This next joke might get me cancelled,” he says at one point, like a teenager smelling his farts and chuckling that he could get thrown out of a sleepover. If delivering material that might as well have been cribbed from a Jim Davidson set can get you “cancelled” (“There’s a reason men propose on their knees – they’ve fucking given up”), Carr might well be."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Morgan Rees at The Stand in Glasgow tonight. Saw him MCing at the Glee Club last year and thought we'd check out his full show. Turned out to be a good decision, really funny, some great jokes. Support came from Sam Lake, who I'd never heard of before, but will definitely go and see again.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My mother some time ago purchased three tickets to Sarah Milligan. Phoned my sister who was already booked to go to Transmit and then me who said I'd rather rip my eyeballs out and eat it.

So my uncle and his partner went last night. My uncle left during the show as it was so bad.

BBC Comedy Showcase tonight at The Caves.

Compere for the night was Jay Lafferty - she was really good.

The highlight of the first section was Amanda Dwyer - was exceptionally good - went down a storm.

Eleanor Morton in the second section was my wifes fave, not so much for me.

Lowlight was "professional glaswegian" called Liam Farrelly - opened up with some tired "isnt Edinburgh shite?" schtick which unsurprisingly lost half his audience, clearly not the sharpest. 

Ray Bradshaw was the finale and highlight for me though, he is just very very clever, and doesnt need to resort to the kind of reductive shite that the likes of Farrelly does.

On 14/07/2024 at 08:18, RH33 said:

My mother some time ago purchased three tickets to Sarah Milligan. Phoned my sister who was already booked to go to Transmit and then me who said I'd rather rip my eyeballs out and eat it.

So my uncle and his partner went last night. My uncle left during the show as it was so bad.

I was there on Saturday night too. Stayed for the full show but everybody knows her routine by now. Don't remember anything too bad but at the same time nothing particularly laugh out loud funny. The warm up guy was utterly utterly rotten

I've now seen Al Murray, Jason Manford, John Bishop, Kevin Bridges, Chris & Rosie Ramsey, Michael McIntyre and Sarah Millican. Every time I've seen any of them live I just can't watch them on anything again. 

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it, but this is the top quality material that the unfunny one from They Think It's All Over is coming up with these days.

20240815_194757.thumb.jpg.6f32d760282a7d15fbcd9b29c390038d.jpg

That patter will be a riot in England just now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...