Stand Up Comedy

JMDP

If you look back at old Jimmy carr stuff (15 years ago maybe) he used to be very posh on stage and come across as a public schoolboy type but with a good bit of irony in his humour which always went down well when playing in Scotland. I remember he did a bit on one of his shows where he’d put an ad in the paper (before social media was where it was today) that said “incurable romantic seeks filthy whore” which still makes me laugh to this day.

I spoke of my disappointment when I saw him live a few years ago because he basically did the exact same routine that was on Netflix at time and me and the mrs watched it the night before we went to see him but over all I think he’s great. I don’t really get his latest routine when he told incredibly inoffensive jokes though, considering some of the wild stuff he’s come out with in the past. He’s  probably just taking the piss.

22 hours ago, throbber said:

If you look back at old Jimmy carr stuff (15 years ago maybe) he used to be very posh on stage and come across as a public schoolboy type but with a good bit of irony in his humour which always went down well when playing in Scotland. I remember he did a bit on one of his shows where he’d put an ad in the paper (before social media was where it was today) that said “incurable romantic seeks filthy whore” which still makes me laugh to this day.

I spoke of my disappointment when I saw him live a few years ago because he basically did the exact same routine that was on Netflix at time and me and the mrs watched it the night before we went to see him but over all I think he’s great. I don’t really get his latest routine when he told incredibly inoffensive jokes though, considering some of the wild stuff he’s come out with in the past. He’s  probably just taking the piss.

His shows always felt like he'd be as well reading directly from his notebook, like his idol Bob Monkhouse. Not particularly a fan, but that's his style and it seems to be very popular. He's surprisingly good value when flying without a net on TV, though.

His name regularly comes up when people discuss OFTWs, but you never see any specific allegations and it's not hard to find people giving examples of him being a decent person, so presumably he just gets a kick out of people thinking he's weird. I liked the way he handled government ministers hypocritically pointing the finger at him for tax evasion to distract from the money they were squirrelling away.

On 05/04/2023 at 21:45, 19QOS19 said:

Just purchased tickets for Ross Noble in November. Yet to see him live but understand he basically makes it up as he goes along? Watched him on some tv shows and he cracks me up so am looking forward to it. 

Anyone else seen him live? 

On 06/04/2023 at 12:30, velo army said:

I did about 20 years ago. He was great. He did this routine about pigs being useless at espionage which I still refer to.

I hope he still has even half the energy he did then.

I've seen Ross Noble a load of times. A great comic. His shows have points he meets but it seems improvised in between. He called me "pishman" one year. I went for a pish and he asked me where I was going. "Pish" was all I shouted as I motioned to the back and he went into a wee bit about how he hoped that was where I was going and not a review. Thanks everyone he spoke to during and I was "thanks to pishman".

He's got fatter as he got older but he is still a slebbery maniac. Also goin in November.

On 26/08/2023 at 14:11, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Probably my least favourite Sadowitz gig, not so much the show but the crowd, the usual schtik and ranty monologue where everyone got it but there was much more sinister reaction to some of the parts and some weird shouting out as if it was a bnp rally rather than a comedy show 

Had these exact thoughts when I saw him last year.

Edited by Busta Nut

• 4 weeks later...

Went to see Adam Rowe last night at the Pavilion, very funny and well worth the price. Alfie Brown his support was top as well. 

Had never been to the pavilion before and was a bit disappointed with the bar but a nice enough venue all the same. Few folk round about us couldn’t bear to not look at their phone for more than 20 minutes which was slightly annoying too

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent a spine-tingling evening at the Pavilion in the company of the dark master of the arcane, Garth Marenghi. He clearly hasn't lost his touch, as the audience were frequently reduced to terrified laughter throughout the readings from his new literary futurewarning, Incarcerat. Despite picking up a copy in the lobby, I'm not sure my mind could cope with reading it myself.

If you're interested in having the walls of reality stripped down before your naked, screaming eyes, our beloved fabulist will be performing an Edinburgh reading in February...assuming we're all still human by then, of course.

Edit: apologies, this was meant for "The Creepy & The Strange" thread.

Edited by BFTD

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Molotov said:

I see Kevin Bridges recorded show is now being shown at cinemas. 

Anyone think this is worth going to see?

IMG_5146.thumb.jpeg.3b4031828c92c3ade4ca837e9f762b41.jpeg

Look like  the kind of thing that the type of people who like that kind of thing tend to like 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Look like  the kind of thing that the type of. people who like that kind of thing tend to like 

Aye. That’s how “entertainment” usually works. I was kinda hoping someone might have been to see one of the “live” shows on tour and provided their opinion. 😂 

I’ll likely wait until I can stream it. 😜 

21 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I am not a fan of massive Bridges, his speech pattern when delivering jokes is annoying. 

Think he has lost a lot of weight since you last saw him. 
Fair fcuks to the guy. He has had an incredible journey from where he began. I listened to his audiobook charting his experience in the comedy circuit.
Just a pity he supports one of the arse cheeks rather than his home town team. 

14 hours ago, Molotov said:

I see Kevin Bridges recorded show is now being shown at cinemas. 

Anyone think this is worth going to see?

IMG_5146.thumb.jpeg.3b4031828c92c3ade4ca837e9f762b41.jpeg

Yep. We Went to see it at the odeon at fort kinnaird on Friday. Not going to spoil it for anyone, but it was really good.  The usual morons in the audience however,  including 2 lassies sat in front of us who spent most of it talking or on their phones. I did the sensible thing and left mines at home. Then there are the manky b*****ds that leave popcorn eeeverywher

Edited by philpy

12 hours ago, Molotov said:

Think he has lost a lot of weight since you last saw him. 
Fair fcuks to the guy. He has had an incredible journey from where he began. I listened to his audiobook charting his experience in the comedy circuit.
Just a pity he supports one of the arse cheeks rather than his home town team. 

I thought he was from Bishopbriggs.

1 hour ago, philpy said:

Yep. We Went to see it at the odeon at fort kinnaird on Friday. Not going to spoil it for anyone, but it was really good.  The usual morons in the audience however,  including 2 lassies sat in front of us who spent most of it talking or on their phones. I did the sensible thing and left mines at home. Then there are the manky b*****ds that leave popcorn eeeverywher

How was the parking?