The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

20 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Edinburgh has put a lot of money in to the Scottish economy, and much of it is spent regenerating the places that need it most, often in the west. I’m okay with that though, because I want to see my country be as good as it can be. Surely as the third biggest city, Aberdeen can’t be grudged a centre that reflects its status? £150m is pennies in the grand scheme of things.

If it is 'pennies' in the grand scheme of things, then why can't ACC and the 'shire club together their windfall from 50 years of unparalleled prosperity to pay for it? Why don't they ask the oil barons that they've gladhanded over the years to make a lasting civic contribution? 

Aberdeen has more than enough resources to take care of its own problems. There are far greater priorities for regeneration elsewhere in the country than spending £150 million on a football stadium and other 'facilities'. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

If it is 'pennies' in the grand scheme of things, then why can't ACC and the 'shire club together their windfall from 50 years of unparalleled prosperity to pay for it? Why don't they ask the oil barons that they've gladhanded over the years to make a lasting civic contribution? 

Aberdeen has more than enough resources to take care of its own problems. There are far greater priorities for regeneration elsewhere in the country than spending £150 million on a football stadium and other 'facilities'. 

211030104629-donald-trump-file-large-169

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

That’s one way of looking at it. I think the possible inclusion of the club in these plans is what would put a lot of people off. Take AFC out of the equation, and I think most people wouldn’t really grudge the City a bit of much needed regeneration. I heavily suspect that the gap in the headline figure of £150m, and the £20m UKGov figure would be made up by a joint venture between ScotGov, Private investors such as Cormack, and the councils. If it benefitted the local economy, then it would be a good investment. How much involvement AFC would have in it, seems sketchy at best though. Is the UKGov £20m set in stone? Or might that go the same way as Scotland’s HS2 connection?

11 minutes ago, Tommy Carcetti said:

2803f91e-bfdb-4003-b6e5-ec5e3c744cfe-screen-shot-2019-01-23-at-41836-pm.png.b7860a7234fe7bf34caf4190bb6e2e24.png

Yeah, that would have to be a worry for them in any plan that involves them not being the main financiers. The one that sprung to mind for me though, was this little pile of bullshit that terrified the life out of me at the time: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/9132369.stm

I don’t really like Cormack, but I know someone who grew up in the same block as him. He assures me that he does genuinely care about both Aberdeen City and Aberdeen Football Club. A lot of how positive or negative this proposal would be for AFC would hinge upon his level of involvement I reckon.

Edited by Kyle Reese

Yeah, that would have to be a worry for them in any plan that involves them not being the main financiers. The one that sprung to mind for me though, was this little pile of bullshit that terrified the life out of me at the time: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/9132369.stm
I don’t really like Cormack, but I know someone who grew up in the same block as him. He assures me that he does genuinely care about both Aberdeen City and Aberdeen Football Club. A lot of how positive or negative this proposal would be for AFC would hinge upon his level of involvement I reckon.

Cormack wants a strong AFC to be his legacy and the stadium to be part of that. He’s made his money and he easily could be sitting on a beach in Florida but he’s got involved and invested heavily in the club. He may be an egomaniac but it’s clear he’s not in there to shaft us.

Funding for the stadium is a question mark. The sale of Pittodrie will raise maybe £10million max. Cormack and his pals will no doubt contribute and there’ll be some kind of scheme for the fans but there’ll still be a shortfall.

The council have finally woken up and discovered that not having 10,000+ people coming to the centre of town 25 times a year may not be good for the local economy and it looks like they’ll now contribute but it remains to be seen what they’ll want in return and how that’ll affect the club commercially. The club hold the cards to some extent as they already own a stadium site as an option if the deal isn’t right for them. It’s encouraging that Kingsford is looking less likely but I think we’re still a good few years before a new ground materialises.

12 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Cormack wants a strong AFC to be his legacy and the stadium to be part of that. He’s made his money and he easily could be sitting on a beach in Florida but he’s got involved and invested heavily in the club. He may be an egomaniac but it’s clear he’s not in there to shaft us.

Funding for the stadium is a question mark. The sale of Pittodrie will raise maybe £10million max. Cormack and his pals will no doubt contribute and there’ll be some kind of scheme for the fans but there’ll still be a shortfall.

The council have finally woken up and discovered that not having 10,000+ people coming to the centre of town 25 times a year may not be good for the local economy and it looks like they’ll now contribute but it remains to be seen what they’ll want in return and how that’ll affect the club commercially. The club hold the cards to some extent as they already own a stadium site as an option if the deal isn’t right for them. It’s encouraging that Kingsford is looking less likely but I think we’re still a good few years before a new ground materialises.

From what my mate tells me, Cormack is equally keen to see the city prosper. He really is pivotal to what happens next for AFC I reckon, if he keeps in good health and stays involved in the club’s infrastructure plans, I see you being alright. If he was somehow no longer involved, I suspect things would start to go pretty bad pretty quick.

5 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I tend to agree with all of that, but it's an absolute stone-cold certainty that if ACC proposed spending a 150 million on a redevelopment that included a new stadium for the football club, there would be a massive uproar from those that will scream about the roads/schools/health/pretty much everything and awthing. 

It is pretty much a sad but undeniable fact that despite being a one club city, support for Aberdeen FC from both the local council and many people in the city has always been lukewarm at best. 

Far from being the pride of the city, the football club has long been something on the edge of things that has to be tolerated.

In short, Aberdeen is full of selfish, inward-looking fuckers. 

Roads, schools and health seem to be bigger priorities for the public purse to me than a new football stadium. I'd also need to see a thorough study to demonstrate that building a new ground by the waterfront is the best way to generate business for the city. I don't see how that's unreasonable, even coming from a football fan who would like to see the new ground happen near the centre.

From what my mate tells me, Cormack is equally keen to see the city prosper. He really is pivotal to what happens next for AFC I reckon, if he keeps in good health and stays involved in the club’s infrastructure plans, I see you being alright. If he was somehow no longer involved, I suspect things would start to go pretty bad pretty quick.

That’s right, he certainly wants to “give something back” to the North East and AFC are the best vehicle for that.

Guest Bob Mahelp
On 06/11/2021 at 14:49, Falcor Roar said:

Roads, schools and health seem to be bigger priorities for the public purse to me than a new football stadium. I'd also need to see a thorough study to demonstrate that building a new ground by the waterfront is the best way to generate business for the city. I don't see how that's unreasonable, even coming from a football fan who would like to see the new ground happen near the centre.

While I agree with you about studies to examine the viability of any new stadium, it's surely the job of any city council to provide all kinds of amenities for the people who live in their city. 

Roads, schools and health are important, but so are museums, retail, cultural and sporting facilities. It shouldn't be an 'either/or' situation. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

While I agree with you about studies to examine the viability of any new stadium, it's surely the job of any city council to provide all kinds of amenities for the people who live in their city. 

Roads, schools and health are important, but so are museums, retail, cultural and sporting facilities. It shouldn't be an 'either/or' situation. 

As I stated earlier, I absolutely think Aberdeen, as Scotland’s third largest city, deserves modernising and regenerating. I also agree with you and others though, about infrastructure and amenities. What are your thoughts on how vague the mentions are of AFC? That’s the second article I’ve read on this proposal now, and both only go as far as “could” when mentioning them. Is this because they don’t want people to object on the grounds of AFC not being as big a priority and the optics of them receiving cash from the public purse? Or are AFC not fully onboard with this plan?

46 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

As I stated earlier, I absolutely think Aberdeen, as Scotland’s third largest city, deserves modernising and regenerating. I also agree with you and others though, about infrastructure and amenities. What are your thoughts on how vague the mentions are of AFC? That’s the second article I’ve read on this proposal now, and both only go as far as “could” when mentioning them. Is this because they don’t want people to object on the grounds of AFC not being as big a priority and the optics of them receiving cash from the public purse? Or are AFC not fully onboard with this plan?

According to the not very detailed plan, the funding proposal being considered doesn't involve any cross subsidy, which would solve that problem. Although it would open up all sorts of demarcation issues. 

Just now, coprolite said:

According to the not very detailed plan, the funding proposal being considered doesn't involve any cross subsidy, which would solve that problem. Although it would open up all sorts of demarcation issues. 

Cheers. Only semi-concrete mention I’ve seen of any funding is the £20m from UKGov. The councils approving it must be indicative of them putting up too, but £130m? Seems a bit high, to me. They will surely be wanting AFC to pay in to it, if they are to be involved. In all honesty, If I was AFC, I’d want people involved in my club to be finding the money for the stadium as part of the plan. I’d hate there to be any ambiguity over use of the stadium once it was built.