Freemasons “discriminated against”

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

My great grandad was a Mason and chief of Dundee police during the war.

He ended up interring a few eyeties and got pally with them. Ended up leaving the masons soon after as he didn't like their attitude to Catholics now he had actually met and become friends with some.

Admittedly this was 70 years ago.

“Eyeties”?  Really?

15 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Is that a derogatory term? 

I knew it was a war term, hence why used here, but thought of it somewhere on the level of the Bosch.

Bosch make fine washing machines and is quite acceptable. Dagos (Dagoes) is more acceptable than eyeties as being more inclusive as it welcomes spics and portuwankers.

Great Uncle was high up in the East Lothian masons apparently. My Granny said my Granddad joined as a result but "he found it a bloody waste of time". Despite this family connection I've never been approached to join. Probably because I'm a c*nt. 

Mind you I've only ever had one dodgy handshake that I'm aware of and that was from a Glasgow lawyer funnily enough. 

I also knew someone who was in the subversive society, The Sons of the Desert. 

Spoiler

5a7cea6dd73a4_sonsofthedesert.jpg.84f167a47943971c50ee783b9ff76bb5.jpg

which is of course the name of the Laurel and Hardy  Appreciation Society. There isn't enough Stan and Ollie on the TV these days, can't remember the last time I saw one. 

7 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

I see what you did their.

However if I was i wouldn't tell ( a Mason never tells or so my new research has told me )

So to clarify , you haven't been before and you think they are a bunch of weirdos never tell after doing some research on them in books ?

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Is that a derogatory term? 

I knew it was a war term, hence why used here, but thought of it somewhere on the level of the Bosch.

I’ve just checked with Hugh Gaffney and he says it’s OK.

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Great Uncle was high up in the East Lothian masons apparently. My Granny said my Granddad joined as a result but "he found it a bloody waste of time". Despite this family connection I've never been approached to join. Probably because I'm a c*nt. 

Mind you I've only ever had one dodgy handshake that I'm aware of and that was from a Glasgow lawyer funnily enough. 

I also knew someone who was in the subversive society, The Sons of the Desert. 

Hide contents

5a7cea6dd73a4_sonsofthedesert.jpg.84f167a47943971c50ee783b9ff76bb5.jpg

which is of course the name of the Laurel and Hardy  Appreciation Society. There isn't enough Stan and Ollie on the TV these days, can't remember the last time I saw one. 

They're showing a lot of their films on the Talking Pictures channel these days.  I was looking forward to seeing them again - hadn't seen them in 40 years - but they haven't borne up well.

When I was in the Phillipines last year I was surprised to learn about the Masonic influence there.

" On January 1, 1895, Emilio Aguinaldo became a Freemason, joining Pilar Lodge No. 203, Imus, Cavite by the codename "Colon". He would later say:

"The Successful Revolution of 1896 was masonically inspired, led, and executed, and I venture to say that the first Philippine Republic of which I was its humble President, was an achievement we owe largely, to Masonry and the Masons."

Also heard a story about the Boston Tea Party which alleges that it was to do with a group of Black Americans wishing to start their own lodge and the relevant papers had been send fron the Grand Lodge in England hidden in tea chests.

I'm not surprised to hear the various parallels drawn with the orange order, but I think it's a misconception that only really exists in Scotland. 

I work with a guy who's a pretty high-up freemason, he's pretty open about it and as you might expect he's very much a believer in the positivity that his organisation promotes in the local area.  He's also a practicing Catholic, and is extremely keen to point out that this is not as unusual as some people - including myself - would have previously thought.  Whether or not there's been a historical link in Scotland - I'd be surprised if this was to be such an entrenched view without a some kind of sympathy in the past - it's very much not the case now, by order of those more senior it seems.  Recently there was some lodge, and this is from him telling me, in the west end of Glasgow that lost it's....I don't know....license?....due to some perceived link with the local Orange Order.

Neither are organisations that I feel any draw to, but I think it's erroneous to lump them in with one another.

The Roman Catholic Church isn't keen on Freemasonry but Freemasons don't have a ban on Roman Catholics.  

It's not something I'd want to get involved in  but you do get cheap drink in Masonic clubs etc.

25 minutes ago, Estragon said:

I'm not surprised to hear the various parallels drawn with the orange order, but I think it's a misconception that only really exists in Scotland. 

I work with a guy who's a pretty high-up freemason, he's pretty open about it and as you might expect he's very much a believer in the positivity that his organisation promotes in the local area.  He's also a practicing Catholic, and is extremely keen to point out that this is not as unusual as some people - including myself - would have previously thought.  Whether or not there's been a historical link in Scotland - I'd be surprised if this was to be such an entrenched view without a some kind of sympathy in the past - it's very much not the case now, by order of those more senior it seems.  Recently there was some lodge, and this is from him telling me, in the west end of Glasgow that lost it's....I don't know....license?....due to some perceived link with the local Orange Order.

Neither are organisations that I feel any draw to, but I think it's erroneous to lump them in with one another.

A bit like this Lodge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_Due

Archived