Scott McTominay

McCarthy is directly cause of Archie Knox, and McGeady had already agreed to play for Scotland u16s but had to wait six months or so. So Packie Bonner actually stepped in and asked if he would play for Ireland.  It was widely publicised at the time, Bonner has spoken about it several times. Both players were willing to play for Scotland but had their noses put out of joint by total bams who were in charge of things.
Its the exact same with Souttar, he had played u19s, and said himself the reason he went to Australia was he hadn't been picked by Scotland at all at any level for two years. Because wallopers like Sbragia were in charge, and Gemmell.
You have to make these kids feel wanted, they should be on the phone to them all the time, going to watch them in training and u23 games etc, encouraging them, helping them, establishing relationships. Likes of Mikey Johnston and Scott Banks they should be buttering them up like f**k just now go round and play FIFA with them if thats what it takes Terry Taylor too, we should be mega proactive all the time in securing good kids.  McCann as well should never have lost. 
McCarthy is nowhere near good enough to make our current midfield. Not withstanding he's a plastic paddy who yearned to play for Ireland due to his upbringing. f**k him

Need to give them 3 caps now by the looks of it...f**k that for a carry on. If playing for Scotland means that little to these born and bred Scots, they can get fucked.

McCarthy and McGeady were either spoiled wee wanks, or one of the many faux-Irish wee wanks that pollute our country. f**k wee tattyheed and his wee ginger pal
Good point - I hadn't thought about it from our side in trying to tie down a player. I fear it could work against us more than for us.

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
31 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:
Need to give them 3 caps now by the looks of it...f**k that for a carry on. If playing for Scotland means that little to these born and bred Scots, they can get fucked.

McCarthy and McGeady were either spoiled wee wanks, or one of the many faux-Irish wee wanks that pollute our country. f**k wee tattyheed and his wee ginger pal

Good point - I hadn't thought about it from our side in trying to tie down a player. I fear it could work against us more than for us.

Aye I've previously been an advocate of the 'aye fire him on at the end of a friendly for 5mins and hes ours' patter...but if that is now the case that you've got to give the likes of Islam Feruz 3 caps as a 16year old then it really does put me off that type of tactic.

But his two caps were earned just before his twenty first birthday. Therefore he remains eligible to switch.
I figured you had to make the change before 21 too.
I tried looking for the complete rules and I think you're right. Unfortunately I'm even more confused because of some other parts of the document:

"A request to change association may be granted only in the following circumstances:
at least three years have passed since being fielded for his last match at “A” international level in any kind of football for his current association, whether in an official competition or non-official competition; ..."

Haven't read the full thing so not 100% that's accurate.
https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/gv5axxtvu2aydszqfiw6.pdf

31 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
McCarthy is directly cause of Archie Knox, and McGeady had already agreed to play for Scotland u16s but had to wait six months or so. So Packie Bonner actually stepped in and asked if he would play for Ireland.  It was widely publicised at the time, Bonner has spoken about it several times. Both players were willing to play for Scotland but had their noses put out of joint by total bams who were in charge of things.
Its the exact same with Souttar, he had played u19s, and said himself the reason he went to Australia was he hadn't been picked by Scotland at all at any level for two years. Because wallopers like Sbragia were in charge, and Gemmell.
You have to make these kids feel wanted, they should be on the phone to them all the time, going to watch them in training and u23 games etc, encouraging them, helping them, establishing relationships. Likes of Mikey Johnston and Scott Banks they should be buttering them up like f**k just now go round and play FIFA with them if thats what it takes Terry Taylor too, we should be mega proactive all the time in securing good kids.  McCann as well should never have lost. 

McCarthy is nowhere near good enough to make our current midfield. Not withstanding he's a plastic paddy who yearned to play for Ireland due to his upbringing. f**k him

McCarthy if fully fit would be a first choice right now, and for the last eight years or so.  The only midfielders we have better are Gilmour, who has never played for Scotland, and McTominay, who plays at the back.

And I have it on good authority he cried his eyes when Knox was a c**t to him cause he wanted to play for Scotland. It also seems he pulled out of the game at Parkhead cause he didn't fancy, playing against your own country in your own city would be weird as f**k. Though McGeady managed, and was rightly slated all night.

13 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

McCarthy if fully fit would be a first choice right now, and for the last eight years or so.  The only midfielders we have better are Gilmour, who has never played for Scotland, and McTominay, who plays at the back.

And I have it on good authority he cried his eyes when Knox was a c**t to him cause he wanted to play for Scotland. It also seems he pulled out of the game at Parkhead cause he didn't fancy, playing against your own country in your own city would be weird as f**k. Though McGeady managed, and was rightly slated all night.

I have it on good authority that he is from a family who all stoat about with Ireland tops on...if he really wanted to play for Scotland he would have held tight until a p***k like Knox was out the door...he subsequently had umpteen opportunities to jump back over the dyke, but stereotypically he decided that he was Irish.

Hes a rat

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Yup!

I figured you had to make the change before 21 too.
I tried looking for the complete rules and I think you're right. Unfortunately I'm even more confused because of some other parts of the document:

"A request to change association may be granted only in the following circumstances:
at least three years have passed since being fielded for his last match at “A” international level in any kind of football for his current association, whether in an official competition or non-official competition; ..."

Haven't read the full thing so not 100% that's accurate.
https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/gv5axxtvu2aydszqfiw6.pdf
Interesting - that somewhat dampens the potency of the rule, probably for the better.

So in effect we'd have to get HS to agree not only to switch to Scotland, but also to refuse callup by Australia for three years?

Given that he went to Aus in the first place because he had been left in the international wilderness for 2 years by us I don't see him signing up for that.

In a nutshell: the HMS Souttar ship has sailed, sadly [emoji53]

So in effect we'd have to get HS to agree not only to switch to Scotland, but also to refuse callup by Australia for three years?

Saw another article which confirmed it so looks like it.
Don't think the three year timeframe will last though. Can see that being reduced a bit.

1 hour ago, Andrew Driver said:

He seems to be an understudy to McArthur who I never really rated for the national team.    For the best part of his career McCarthy would have been battling with Fletcher, Ferguson, Brown, Morrison et al for game time.    I think it's perfectly reasonable to class him in the same bracket as the aforementioned but a huge stretch to say he's better, or an automatic pick.  

He's been at the same club as McArthur three different times, and McCarthy has always been above him in the pecking order.  He's just had injury problems, they're miles apart in terms of their quality. 

Oh and btw the Scottish player currently playing football with the most EPL appearances is James McCarthy.    Three years younger than McArthur, with two horrific injuries, one of which cost him a year out of the game.  And he's still played over 50 more EPL games than McArthur, and more than any other Scottish player currently playing football.

Oh and btw the Scottish player currently playing football with the most EPL appearances is James McCarthy.    Three years younger than McArthur, with two horrific injuries, one of which cost him a year out of the game.  And he's still played over 50 more EPL games than McArthur, and more than any other Scottish player currently playing football.

He's Irish, he made his decision... McGinn, McTominay, Armstrong, Christie, Gauld...all better players

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
6 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

He's Irish, he made his decision... McGinn, McTominay, Armstrong, Christie, Gauld...all better players

Christie and Gauld no danger, McGinn and Armstrong that's a real push.  

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Phil Bardsley has 302 EPL appearances.

Like McCarthy, he also didn't want to play for Scotland.