Scott McTominay

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye except for him, and aye he did. Both did.

Bardsley made it very clear he didn't after he got dropped from a squad by Strachan. And McCarthy made it perfectly clear where he wanted to play.

After being snubbed for friendlies with the Czech Republic and Denmark in 2016, he delivered a brutally honest response to a question about Scotland.

He said: “I’m not really interested to be perfectly honest — I just want to go on holiday for four days!

McCarthy is eligible for Ireland through his Gweedore-born grandfather Paddy Coyle, who recently passed away.

"Grandad was a big influence on me when I was small and always said he wanted to see me play for Ireland so I was delighted to get the chance to do so," explained the teenager.

"It'll be a great moment for me to wear the Irish shirt for the first time. My parents are coming over and lots more of my relatives will be there as well."

On 20/12/2020 at 23:35, G51 said:

I'm curious so I took a look at his numbers.

He plays less forward passes (19.13) per 90 than Grant Hanley (19.85) with a lower success rate (65.64% compared to 82.03%). Both players are in the top 25 in the Championship for centre back forward passes, which probably tells you something about the standard of that league.

That's what we need him to do - we don't need a player who can dribble out of defence, we need a player who can play accurate forward passes so we can take advantage of teams on the transition.

Interestingly, he dribbles out of defence less than Scott McKenna does.

These numbers aren't the be all and end all - they don't account for different styles. But there's just nothing that suggests Souttar is much different than what he's been for years - an enormous physical presence that headers everything. That has some value and we do use those kind of players - but I'd be surprised if he's a significant upgrade over Gallagher or McKenna.

Harry Souttar is actually very comfortable on the ball but he’s somewhat on the slow side. 

4 hours ago, woof! said:

Harry Souttar is actually very comfortable on the ball but he’s somewhat on the slow side. 

He is, like his brother for CB's they are absolute silk on the ball.  John Souttar is better on the ball than most of our midfielders.

It would have been class to have Harry in the middle and John on the right.  Two thirds of a classy back three that could really play.

56 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

He is, like his brother for CB's they are absolute silk on the ball.  John Souttar is better on the ball than most of our midfielders.

It would have been class to have Harry in the middle and John on the right.  Two thirds of a classy back three that could really play.

John has pace and I’m glad he’s the one we’ve got. I just hope he can get over his injury and hit top form again. He will get a big move to a better league if he does. 

Fwiw I'm, tragically, compiling a list of CBs who've played in the Scottish top flight from 16/17-present day, splitting them into percentile ranks, then creating a "total" score to try and find the best.

Yer man Harry Souttar, for the 17/18 half season at County, is in the 89th percentile for defensive duels won, 92nd percentile for aerial duels won, and 98th percentile for interceptions. Not great in other areas, including passing, but he was only 19 tbf.

Overall score is 9.1, meaning overall he's been better than 91% of the rest. Total amount, currently, stands at 139 players. Still to add in 16/17 so he'll drop, but not by much.

Its not perfect, or a fair way to judge, but its useful to highlight players who deserve a look at. If I factored in age then he'd be even higher.

FWIW David Bates scores 3.7, and Jack Hendry 3.

Edited by RandomGuy.

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fwiw I'm, tragically, compiling a list of CBs who've played in the Scottish top flight from 16/17-present day, splitting them into percentile ranks, then creating a "total" score to try and find the best.

Yer man Harry Souttar, for the 17/18 half season at County, is in the 89th percentile for defensive duels won, 92nd percentile for aerial duels won, and 98th percentile for interceptions. Not great in other areas, including passing, but he was only 19 tbf.

Overall score is 9.1, meaning overall he's been better than 91% of the rest. Total amount, currently, stands at 139 players. Still to add in 16/17 so he'll drop, but not by much.

Its not perfect, or a fair way to judge, but its useful to highlight players who deserve a look at. If I factored in age then he'd be even higher.

That's quality work 

I applaud and cringe for you in equal measure [emoji6]
What's the base stat engine you're using?
And are you bringing bates and hendry's Abroad stats into it, or just their Scottish League performances?

10 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I applaud and cringe for you in equal measure emoji6.png
What's the base stat engine you're using?
And are you bringing bates and hendry's Abroad stats into it, or just their Scottish League performances?

WyScout.

Doing it season by season, min 800 mins played, so they are all in for their 17/18 season alone.

Still putting data in so it all changes slightly with every new figure, but 145 players in now, so shouldn't vary too much from here.

WyScout.
Doing it season by season, min 800 mins played, so they are all in for their 17/18 season alone.
Still putting data in so it all changes slightly with every new figure, but 145 players in now, so shouldn't vary too much from here.

Lockdown has been hard on us all.
Only kidding - nice work [emoji6]

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Lockdown has been hard on us all.
Only kidding - nice work emoji6.png

I was boring even before the lockdown tbf.

I'm only doing it for a bit of fun really, just finding somethings interesting. Its surprising/revealing how you can track players improving/declining through it though. Seems to have successfully picked up on the decline of someone like Berra, while simultaneously noticing McKenna turning into a top CB for Scottish top football.

18 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

does extent of culpability for goals conceded come into your percentile ranking? Cause (unfortunately) as a defender if you have great stats on defensive aerial duels and interceptions but make a couple of major howlers every game then its all window dressing. 

17 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

does extent of culpability for goals conceded come into your percentile ranking? 

Ball losses in their own half is something I can include, but thats the best. There is "error leading to goal" statistic available as its too subjective.

On 22/12/2020 at 15:42, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Tonight is the first time I have seen Harry Souttar play. His awful clearance led to the second Spurs goal. Fair enough he is up against a good team but he also gave away the ball for what should have been a goal by Son (wrongly flagged offside), then Harry Kane skipped passed him with ease for his goal. He hasn't looked comfortable at all on the ball. Just a bad night?

Edited by Chewing Taffies

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ball losses in their own half is something I can include, but thats the best. There is "error leading to goal" statistic available as its too subjective.

if it directly leads to a goal ie intercepted pass, short with a pass back, conceding a free-kick which leads to a goal (direct shot not a cross), or conceding a successfully converted penalty, is that really too subjective? hope I don't seem as being belligerent, just genuinely interested.