Scott McTominay

14 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
15 hours ago, ewan14 said:
Fair enough but
IMHO Berra and Caldwell did not cover themselves in glory
Was Wilson played out of position at left full back ?
Who are the two present day centre halves being played out of position ?

I'd say McTominay is one, not sure Tierney is one as he's played Left Centre back on a few occasions, albeit wing back at club level.

I thought Tierney is  playing left centre back for Arsenal

Edited by ewan14

5 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
10 hours ago, SlipperyP said:
We would have had Adam sent off if there was VAR. 

Would have been a bonus, to be fair

You know I saw Adam's dad play for Arbroath quite a few times he was fuckin class like.  Stood out like a sore thumb at that level.  Basically identical player to his son.

11 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

You know I saw Adam's dad play for Arbroath quite a few times he was fuckin class like.  Stood out like a sore thumb at that level.  Basically identical player to his son.

He was a much more physical player than his son - bit of a hard man. Had a great strike on him though same as young Charlie.

1 minute ago, Chewing Taffies said:

He was a much more physical player than his son - bit of a hard man. Had a great strike on him though same as young Charlie.

Aye he was quite powerfully built, bit like Charlie being a bit chunky, but a midfield maestro at that level who strolled through games spraying passes left and right.  Great to watch.

You've not got a great eye for a footballer have you. as he also played for Forfar for 2 years, I also seen him play on more than a few occasions. At best, he was a good solid 1st Division player, the reason he played mostly for the Angus clubs during his career.  

1 minute ago, SlipperyP said:

You've not got a great eye for a footballer have you. as he also played for Forfar for 2 years, I also seen him play on more than a few occasions. At best, he was a good solid 1st Division player, the reason he played mostly for the Angus clubs during his career.  

Aye well considering Arbroath were in the 2nd and 3rd divisions at the time I'd say my conclusion he 'stuck out like a sore thumb at that level' would be entirely backed up by your conclusion he was 'a good solid 1st Division player'.  Maybe you don't have a great eye for words.

2 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye well considering Arbroath were in the 2nd and 3rd divisions at the time I'd say my conclusion he 'stuck out like a sore thumb at that level' would be entirely backed up by your conclusion he was 'a good solid 1st Division player'.  Maybe you don't have a great eye for words.

Good Solid 1st Division player, does not mean "class or identical to his son" your words,  who played most of his career at the top end of the English leagues.  Maybe you don't have a fucking clue what your talking about. Which to be honest, you never let us down.

1 minute ago, SlipperyP said:

Good Solid 1st Division player, does not mean "class or identical to his son" your words,  who played most of his career at the top end of the English leagues.  Maybe you don't have a fucking clue what your talking about. Which to be honest, you never let us down.

Yes it does. Class is subjective and identical is a reference to his style.

Look we both know what's going on here. You're a fanny so are desperate to oppose something I said for two reasons - I said it, and you're a fanny.  

If you want to discuss the topic at hand this is the place, if you want to have a go at me start a thread about me and I'll pop in every now and then to tell you what a fanny you are.

On 21/01/2021 at 03:09, SlipperyP said:

We would have had Adam sent off if there was VAR. 

And, iirc, a penalty against. Or maybe it was outside the box. Can't remember exactly, but it was defo a red. The narrative around this game reminds me of the Italy 2007 qualifier where the vast majority of Scotland fans get hung up on the free kick at the end (that we defended horribly) but forget the perfectly good goal Italy had ruled offside at 1-0 and the fact that our goal was offside. See also the Lithuanian boy's dive (the Hearts lad whose name I can't spell)  to get a pen, but not O'Connor's dive in the same  game. 

And, iirc, a penalty against. Or maybe it was outside the box. Can't remember exactly, but it was defo a red. The narrative around this game reminds me of the Italy 2007 qualifier where the vast majority of Scotland fans get hung up on the free kick at the end (that we defended horribly) but forget the perfectly good goal Italy had ruled offside at 1-0 and the fact that our goal was offside. See also the Lithuanian boy's dive (the Hearts lad whose name I can't spell)  to get a pen, but not O'Connor's dive in the same  game. 
Semantics

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, edinabear said:

Scott mctominay is genuinely one of the best midfielders in the Prem now. His energy, range of passing and tackling has come on leaps and bounds. Even scoring goals now! Please steve play him in centre mid!! 

I agree, you can ask him to fill a role in defence while Ryan Jack does the same in his position in midfield or you find someone else to 'fill the role' and play McTominay in his position where he will be a huge upgrade.

For example even Hanley -McTominay >  McTominay - Jack

McTominay, McGinn and Gilmour  would be an amazing middle three. Although maybe Jack for Gilmour at the Euros depending on the next few months. 
Hendry (or Hanley), McKenna, Tierney in defence. 
I think Hendry will come back and have a part to play for Scotland in the future. But no way would I bring him into the Euros starting line up.
If McTominay does move to midfield, then it'd have to be Gallagher, Cooper or Hanley in the defensive gap. I know that means a bit of rearrangement of the three in terms of left/right footedness plus ability to bring the ball forward etc, but I'd prefer that than putting Hendry in when it looks like he's only just getting his confidence back.

All that said, SC being SC will probably just calmly continue to play McTominay in defence.