Scott McTominay

1 minute ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Aye, a very high percentage of top, top outfield players were almost equally adept in goals.

I'm just relating what he said. If you have a problem with it take it up with him.

The Bayern Munich players all say Neuer could easily play outfield for them. He does it in training all the time.

In a team with Carrick? Come on now.
He was a better player than Carrick. Carrick was always built up more because he was English.
I said it earlier peak Fletcher in around 2009 was the best holding midfielder in the EPL (better than both Song and Mascherano). That's not to say he was overall a better player through his career but he was the best then.

6 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

He was a better player than Carrick. Carrick was always built up more because he was English.
I said it earlier peak Fletcher in around 2009 was the best holding midfielder in the EPL (better than both Song and Mascherano). That's not to say he was overall a better player through his career but he was the best then.

The argument wasn't over who was the better player. I'd have Fletcher ahead of Carrick in the EPL every day.

Carrick was a far better passer of the ball though.

6 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

The best I ever saw Fletcher play was against AC Milan, where he played wide left.  He may even have scored that night. Remember also he played most of his early games wide right for Man Utd, and finished his career playing centre back on occasion.  He was far, far more than just a holding midfielder. 

He wasn’t a better passer than Scholes or Carrick, though.  

Edited by Savage Henry

19 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The best I ever saw Fletcher play was against AC Milan, where he played wide left.  He may even have scored that night. Remember also he played most of his early games wide right for Man Utd, and finished his career playing centre back on occasion.  He was far, far more than just a holding midfielder. 

He wasn’t a better passer than Scholes or Carrick, though.  

Was a game v Czech Republic in levein era, where Fletcher ran the whole game. Captain leading defending and attacking box to box, plus scored a massive goal

But some Czech dude dived late on and we were out

Same campaign I think when we came back v Spain, he was driving force in midfield, again unravelled through another's error

Edited by Binos

Was a game v Czech Republic in levein era, where Fletcher ran the whole game. Captain leading defending and attacking box to box, plus scored a massive goal
Same campaign I think when we came back v Spain, he was driving force in midfield, again unravelled through another's error
Yip remember that vividly, it was never a penalty. Happened in 90 mins and they got equaliser, we then got a stone Waller denied 90+3mins. If VAR had been around we'd probably have gone through. Euro 2012 I think? Just another in the archives of dodgy ref decisions

8 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
12 minutes ago, Binos said:

Yip remember that vividly, it was never a penalty. Happened in 90 mins and they got equaliser, we then got a stone Waller denied 90+3mins. If VAR had been around we'd probably have gone through. Euro 2012 I think? Just another in the archives of dodgy ref decisions

I just watched the highlights of that Czech game and midfield was Fletcher, brown, Adam, Morrison

Miller, Naismith up front. McGregor in nets

Many of the sides last 20 years were no worse than current crop

But things constantly when chips were down last gasp didn't go our way

This time did

And Fletcher was struggling badly with Ulcerative Colitis at the time too. Heroic performance.

23 minutes ago, Binos said:

I just watched the highlights of that Czech game and midfield was Fletcher, brown, Adam, Morrison

Miller, Naismith up front. McGregor in nets

Many of the sides last 20 years were no worse than current crop

But things constantly when chips were down last gasp didn't go our way

This time did

Who was in defence ?

Berra ?

When we lost 3 - 2 to Spain our defence could not cope with a bread and butter cross

Edited by ewan14

10 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

and ... ?

Have they been responsible for any of the goals we have lost ?

And the point was many of our sides over last 20 years are no worse than current crop

Game you said Berra was playing, with Caldwell Hutton and Wilson

Current crop has two Motherwell players and two centre halfs being played out of position

Edited by Binos

21 minutes ago, Binos said:

And the point was many of our sides over last 20 years are no worse than current crop

Game you said Berra was playing, with Caldwell Hutton and Wilson

Current crop has two Motherwell players and two centre halfs being played out of position

Fair enough but

IMHO Berra and Caldwell did not cover themselves in glory

Was Wilson played out of position at left full back ?

Who are the two present day centre halves being played out of position ?

Edited by ewan14

Fair enough but
IMHO Berra and Caldwell did not cover themselves in glory
Was Wilson played out of position at left full back ?
Who are the two present day centre halves being played out of position ?
I'd say McTominay is one, not sure Tierney is one as he's played Left Centre back on a few occasions, albeit wing back at club level.

6 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
6 hours ago, Binos said:

We would have had Adam sent off if there was VAR. 

Edited by SlipperyP