Over to Northern Ireland in 25 minutes?

A huge amount of ignorance being evidenced here. Northern Ireland is much, much more than image portrayed here. How many of those wishing to either drag it out to sea or drop a bomb on it, have visited the country and spent some time exploring it

^^^ Der's more to Oirland, dan dis.

hqdefault.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not too sure I'd like to travel over to Scotland now [emoji20]

You'd be very welcome in our country. It's very, very similar to NI with beautiful countryside, great local foods and seafood and friendly locals. As with every other country in the world, there are places and people best avoided but any sober adult will work that out easily.

Oh, and it's nearly always pishin' rain so you'll feel right at home.

You'd be very welcome in our country. It's very, very similar to NI with beautiful countryside, great local foods and seafood and friendly locals. As with every other country in the world, there are places and people best avoided but any sober adult will work that out easily.

Oh, and it's nearly always pishin' rain so you'll feel right at home.

In this one post you've done more for NI tourism than their own tourist board's campaign of 'we have some funny lava just like your stuff on Staffa/Mull, a rope bridge and we built the unsinkable ship that, err... sank".

There's no point trying to reason with these imbeciles. They are going to spew their bile regardless and the important thing to remember is that they are a small minority of the posters on here and the forum overall is usually quite decent.

It does seem quite a strange wee bandwagon to jump on. I suspect there’s an element of trying to impress some P&B ‘big hitters’, which is pretty much the definition of tragic.

About as much chance of this bridge getting built as the OF getting into the English Premiership anyway.

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

There's no point trying to reason with these imbeciles. They are going to spew their bile regardless and the important thing to remember is that they are a small minority of the posters on here and the forum overall is usually quite decent. It's best to just tune them out with the ignore function in my experience. I suspect Nicola Sturgeon sees a constitutional  politics related angle in all of this given that's what makes SNP politicians tick and it is probably related to Scotland staying aligned with the EU if NI does post-Brexit given this story follows fast on the heels of the EU's proposal of how to make Brexit work that the Tories have rejected. A permanent link between Scotland and Ulster would normally be more of a Unionist talking point but the way the news cycle is unfolding at the moment means that some sort of physical link would make that posture easier to justify, but the North Channel is just a wee bit too wide and more importantly deep to make this likely to work financially or it would already have long since happened by now.

And not a mention of the main submarine base for the North Atlantic at Faslane.

Tut tut, LLL.

16 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Im sure we’ll all agree, that Stranraer is acceptable as collateral damage for Belfast getting nuked.

I quite like the Cardinal- can we tip him the wink before Belfast is taken out? 

3 hours ago, Crusader Knight said:

I'm not too sure I'd like to travel over to Scotland now :(

Don't blame you mate. Think it's transference from Scotland's two cheek problem to what we think is its source, Ireland. What remains of it is our problem, diminishing I think. Had about ten trips to Stroke City and Belfast during the late Seventies and early Eighties to visit two different girlfriends and their friends and colleagues, not at the same time, and the only problem was when one of them had their new boyfriend answer the door. Very embarrassing cup of tea at the end of the couch. Heard 3 bombs going off one night in Belfast but never felt any hostility walking around and stopping in random pubs, including in places like Shankill and Falls roads. All the people I met thought the violence was stupid and pointless, but were also annoyed by outsiders over simplification and misunderstanding of the politics. Mrs Bunfield v Raging O'Terrorist or whatever. My fondest memory is of the Derry/Londonderry greeting of "What a budgie!" Loved it, mad surrealists.

The sheer desperation from the Bunfields for some sort of 'hands over the water' love-in with Scotland is pathetic.

'I don't fancy visiting Scotland now :(:(:('.

Somehow I think we'll cope.  

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Don't blame you mate. Think it's transference from Scotland's two cheek problem to what we think is its source, Ireland. 

That's interesting, as I can trace my family tree back to western Scotland and folk who settled in Antrim to work on the farms in the early 1800s, (and indeed on my father's side Manchester from a guy who settled in Belfast for works in the docks in 1900).

Maybe some could say that Ireland's problems came from Scotland / England?

Ah well, Live and let live ..... :)

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

...My fondest memory is of the Derry/Londonderry greeting of "What a budgie!" Loved it, mad surrealists.

Think that would be "what about ye?", which is just the NI way of saying "how are you doing?"  When you get a bit further away from Belfast in that direction the accents get a lot more Scottish sounding. Belfast is like being in the NW of England in some ways with all the terraced streets and brick buildings and the speech patterns kind of follow that too with the vowel sounds that always get parodied, but Coleraine and Londonderry (or whatever people prefer to call it) you could almost mistake for Ayrshire.

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I quite like the Cardinal- can we tip him the wink before Belfast is taken out? 

Cheers lad, but you're safe. Despite being a Stranraer fan, I live in Glasgow. I'm a sort-of reverse OF fan in that respect. 

Archived