Netflix

Biscuits

19 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Blue Eyed Samurai was excellent

Aye it's a cartoon but there's been some class animated stuff that's been out past few years on Netflix alone. Arcane and Castlevania were tremendous 

Arcane is absolutely brilliant. 

I liked "forest of piano" too, but I'm a piano player so I'm perhaps biased.

I never got into any of the Ghibli stuff though for some reason.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Arcane is absolutely brilliant. 

I liked "forest of piano" too, but I'm a piano player so I'm perhaps biased.

I never got into any of the Ghibli stuff though for some reason.

Na I've never got Ghibli either but I've just finished Scavengers Reign (HBO Max so I had to source via alternative means) and it was brilliant and very 'Ghibli' in its visuals. Well worth getting a look at if you like weird body horror sci-fi. 

Arcane S2 looks like it's going to be back half of next year unfortunately. S1 was one of my favourite shows of the past few years 

Edited by Squalor Vic

On 27/11/2023 at 16:39, mathematics said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the new squid games series. Some good editing to create utterly despicable characters.

They’ve made it look like all of them except the older two are utterly insufferable.  And they probably are.  Enjoyable stuff.  

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81721595?preventIntent=true

Can recommend this as an enjoyable piece of nostalgia re 70s album covers.

A documentary about Hipgnosis who were the brains behind many classic covers for the likes of Punk Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Peter Gabriel et al.

Edited by printer

On 23/11/2023 at 20:56, MSU said:

Scott Pilgrim Takes Off dropped last week. Scott Pilgrim vs The World is one of my favourite movies for a whole host of reasons so I was eager to see this animated version with all the actors from the movie coming back to voice their characters. The first episode is very reminiscent of the movie and if this is what the series was going to be, I'd've been quite happy with that. But it takes a sudden turn, becomes something quite different while remaining true to the original. I absolutely loved it.

I just finished this tonight and also loved it. I hadn’t a clue which direction is was going to go in after the end of the first episode and some of it is absolutely bonkers, but that’s all part of the charm. 

Spoiler

Burst out laughing as his ex turned up to sing at his funeral. One of those wtf moments.

Just finished the first series of One Piece, a fantasy genre about a young boy growing up wanting to be king of the pirates, and his adventures finding a crew on his journey to achieve his dream. Wasn't sure about it at first but ended up really liking it. Canny wait for season 2.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2022 at 18:57, throbber said:

Watched first 2 episodes of the watcher and hoping to get 2 more in tonight, very creepy but still fairly lighthearted in parts.

On 19/10/2022 at 15:58, JustOneCornetto said:

I'm 5 episodes in, it's totally bonkers and hard to believe it's based on true story, but I love the tongue-in-cheek tone and at times it's really hilarious.

On 19/10/2022 at 18:09, BFTD said:

Made it through the entirely of the Dahmer thing. I thought it was good, and didn't bore me until the final episode, where the whole thing fell apart. Worth seeing up to that point though, but I can see why the families would be pissed. There's something quite grim about fictionalising victims of crime, especially when some of them are still alive to see it.

Thought I'd try that "true story" The Watcher a try last night, so watched the first two episodes. I've got a slight problem with it, which is that I'd like the house to burn down with every single character inside, as they're all nails-down-the-chalkboard annoying. Other than that, the whole thing screams "bullshit", feels like somebody doing a terrible David Lynch pastiche, and I've a strong feeling that the pay-off at the end will be deeply unsatisfying.

I see it "only" has seven episodes, so maybe I'll force myself to keep going, rather than add it to the list of shite Netflix dramas that I've dropped long before the end.

On 22/10/2022 at 22:22, BFTD said:

Yeah, I think I'm done with The Watcher at episode 3. This is fucking turgid, and nobody comes across as a believable human being.

Wee glimpse of Naomi Watts' arse was unexpectedly pleasant, but. More of this would be nice, Netflix.

On 23/10/2022 at 07:32, throbber said:

Anyone who watched watcher to end can you advise me 

Hide contents

Why did they include the part where John graft run through the underground tunnel to the creepy woman with glasses house for her to say “they’re onto us” without following it up at all? Surely the police would have been able to trace the underground tunnel and see what house it went to. Fair enough the case was unsolved but this seemed particularly odd. 

On 26/10/2022 at 08:30, Shandon Par said:

Watched the first two but had lost the will to live by then. 

On 28/10/2022 at 16:34, Steve_Wilkos said:

I watched the first episode of The Watcher last night.

What a load of shit. Embarrassing.

On 30/10/2022 at 14:52, Steve_Wilkos said:

I persevered with The Watcher and it was alright actually. 

7/10

I watched this recently. I think the first 3 eps or so were quite good and were weird and spooky. I knew however it was gonna go to shit but fuuuck me it got bad. The last episode was honestly one of the worst episodes I've ever watched of anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished watching The Brothers Sun, about a Triad Boss's two sons and his wife, bit naff at times but decent enough. The younger bros is also a bit annoying, but if you like this type of genre it's worth a watch. 

Kept waiting for Michele Yeoh to break into kick ass mode with her martial arts skills, felt weird seeing her play the little old lady role, using her brain and outsmarting everyone instead. 

Started watching Fool Me Once which is a Harlan Coben story starring Michelle Keegan whose sister and husband have both been murdered in mysterious circumstances. First episode is pretty good with a lot of weird stuff going on and Joanna Lumley, her snobby mother-in-law is worth a watching. Add in a police detective who seems to have his own problems and the scene is set for a decent watch.

On 17/01/2024 at 15:23, JustOneCornetto said:

Started watching Fool Me Once which is a Harlan Coben story starring Michelle Keegan whose sister and husband have both been murdered in mysterious circumstances. First episode is pretty good with a lot of weird stuff going on and Joanna Lumley, her snobby mother-in-law is worth a watching. Add in a police detective who seems to have his own problems and the scene is set for a decent watch.

What did you think of this? I thought the writing was very sketchy.

2 minutes ago, mathematics said:

What did you think of this? I thought the writing was very sketchy.

I’m a massive fan of his books, and most of his tv shows. I thought this one was utter shite. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the latest series of Black Mirror now for the first time, I'm sure it was done to death when it was on about the little highland inaccuracies with the Loch Henry episode but I just noticed that about 10 mins in when the guy is describing what the town used to be like it uses stock footage of bagpipers walking down the street for about 5-10 seconds and it's actually Melrose from the Scottish Borders. 

Don't know if I'm happy I noticed it and there's no trace of this on the Internet of embarrassed to be the guy who noticed. 

ETA - now finished the episode and Jesus christ that was grim. Interested to know what accent the maw was going fit, sounded German to me. 

Edited by RuMoore

Rattled through the three series of Loudermilk on Netflix.  Really, really good.  I've seen a few things suggesting that because of the Netflix bump we might get a s4 at some point which would be great as there was a few storylines left unfinished.