Scotland v Costa Rica 23rd March

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least we found out that Armstrong and McGregor are our best players and should be the first names on the teamsheet
Oh wait we already fucking knew that
McDonald's international career should be short and sweet. Does nothing as good or better than McArthur and there's only a couple of years between them. Mctominay is the future, McGinn tries too hard. McKenna is alright, McBurnie looks like he has a bit of potential. Apart from that, what a complete waste of everyone's time
The reason 3 at the back excited me was because it would allow us to sacrifice the more defensive midfielders and get some good link up creative players and the forward. It also means we can go with ball playing defenders to give us an outball. Playing the slowest midfielders and most cumbersome defenders negates any single benefit to the system you can think of

McTominay, Armstrong and McGregor is a fine midfield.

Tierney at LCB and Robertson at LWB.

Griffiths striker

The future isn't as bad as it seems

The SFA got the attendance and performance that they richly deserved.

I feel sorry for Andy Robertson. He is light years ahead of the Scottish Premiership and English Championship plodders and cloggers he’s being asked to play alongside. So far ahead of them in every sense. Physically, technically and mentally.

Scotland are miles away from resembling a competent international side. We have players with dozens of caps who can’t even trap a ball or play a simple pass a few yards. It’s beyond embarrassing.

The only group of teams in Europe who are worse off than us now, are the bottom seeders - the likes of Gibraltar, San Marino and the Faroes. That’s how bad things are.

The SFA got the attendance and performance that they richly deserved.
I feel sorry for Andy Robertson. He is light years ahead of the Scottish Premiership and English Championship plodders and cloggers he’s being asked to play alongside. So far ahead of them in every sense. Physically, technically and mentally.
Scotland are miles away from resembling a competent international side. We have players with dozens of caps who can’t even trap a ball or play a simple pass a few yards. It’s beyond embarrassing.
The only group of teams in Europe who are worse off than us now, are the bottom seeders - the likes of Gibraltar, San Marino and the Faroes. That’s how bad things are.

Tonight, yes. But against, say Lithuania away last year, he was again brilliant but so were Armstrong, Griffiths and co. Tonight was a lop sided team in terms of ability and experience.

Maybe I'm blinded by the fact I watched the U21s game right before, but I thought that was alright. We looked like Brazil compared to the U21s. Some boos at full time is way OTT. Costa Rica are a strong team and I felt we were a fair match for them. McTominay and McBurnie were bright sparks, as were Robertson, McGregor and Armstrong (but we knew that anyway).

Disappointing tonight but not overly surprising. The formation did not work due to a midfield that was slow with little penetration and a lack of a quality right side. The personnel did not suit the system and it looked more like the Scotland team that played Lithuania in 2016 than the exciting one of 2017. Things improved when Armstrong and McGregor came on but we still lacked width high up the park on the right side.

Individually:
A.McGregor - Not at fault for the goal and very little to do. Prefer Marshall and Gordon but no criticism based on tonight.

Paterson - Looked uncomfortable all night. Defensively continues to look shaky and lacked quality in his delivery going forward.

Hanley - Exposed for pace and quality at the goal. A normal Hanley performance. To me, still not a good enough defender at international level.

Mulgrew - Did alright but should have stepped out to close down the shot for the goal.

McKenna - Best of the debutants. Linked well enough with Robertson. Lacks distribution wise at time but a defender's defender. His usual 7/10 steady performance.

Robertson - Easily our best player. One mistake all night at the Ruiz crossbar moment but other than that outstanding. Some player.

McDonald - Distinctly unimpressed. Looked average and not up to international football. Tidy enough in possession but little threat.

McTominay - Similar to McDonald in terms of possession with little threat. Would work far better with an Armstrong and/or a McGinn beside him.

Cairney - Very disappointing. For a player who has been superb this season, offered nothing tonight. Granted being played wideish isn't his game but still hoped for more.

Ritchie - Just continues to not suit the way we need to play. We need to play a high energy, quick, slick passing game. He's slow, ponderous and not the best worker. While he possesses a lovely left foot, it comes to show far too little. I'm sorry to any Ritchie fan boys but I just do not rate him at all. Doesn't suit us or have enough quality consistently for this level.

McBurnie - Worked hard, with not enough service first half, got into some ok positions but ultimately couldn't carve himself out a chance and in the end cut a frustrated figure. A victim of the poor personnel to fit a system.

Subs:

Armstrong - Even lacking match fitness, brought an energy and a direct style of play that we lacked previously in the match. A player who must feature in the Nations League.

C.McGregor - Similar to Armstrong but an inferior version of it. Tidy player and more direct but sometimes lacked the quality in his final passes.

McGinn - He's not the best sub truthfully. A lad who struggles coming off the bench and is far more effective as a starter who can grow into a game.

Matt Phillips - He's not a striker lads so please stop using him as such.

Jamie Murphy - Not enough time to show anything.

Disappointed not to see Ryan Fraser in this game as that is the sort of direct running we need. Still prefer us in the system we have under WGS of 4-2-3-1 as we get more width higher up the park and a central attacking player arriving from deep.

Positives /// Mckenna looks solid enough at the back..Hopefully thats a new CB found for the future along with Souttar../// Thats Mctominay capped and did ok if nothing spectacular ../// Paterson back fit and adds something to the attack/ set pieces . Just need to find the best position for him , maybe not at RB.../// Mcburnie is a good option but maybe needs a partner or more support . Good shot on him and isn,t any worse than Phillips , Fletcher , Martin etc..  On Mcleish , thought he left the subs too late , could have gave a new GK at least one half , needs to sort out a midfield that can hold the ball instead of passing backwards then losing it..We have to get more attacking threat into that team and give the front players a chance ..Not the worst friendly ive seen  but could have been more adventurous in the 2nd half..

Mcgregor

Paterson

Hanley

Mulgrew

Robertson

Phillips

Mctominay

Armstrong

Fraser

Mcburnie

Cummings

Not singling Mckenna, Cairney, Ritchie or Mcdonald out (actually though Mckenna done okay) but those 4 tweaks could’ve given us a much more attacking team and the fans something to be excited about.

I never understand playing defensive football In International football (suppose If you’re away to Spain It would be different), just have a go. If we’re attacking teams and having a go, fans will feel like they’ve got their money’s worth. Patch having to pay £20 to watch Scotland play 1 up top In a half empty ground against Costa Rica.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I see ex Jag player Rodney Wallace circa 90s is bolstering the CR attack

Did you mean Rod McDonald? 

McKenna did absolutely fine, especially as that was his debut and he is more accustomed to a four-man defence. He didn't make any major mistakes, and got most of the 'simple things' spot on - as he usually has this season. He certainly wasn't the reason that Scotland lost that game tonight. 

His meteoric rise since his unsuccessful loan at Ayr and ending up in the Aberdeen team almost by accident in September is a huge credit to him. 

I suppose some people just have a penchant for denigrating talented young players, though. 

1 hour ago, Dave1875 said:

Right now the important part of the night.... can anyone remember when we last played Hungary so Ian Crocker knows which dead horse to beat?

Off the top of my head I remember us getting shagged 3-0 off them at Hampden maybe about 2004?

Might have played them after that though. But that should be enough ammo for the c**t. 

5 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

McKenna did absolutely fine, especially as that was his debut and he is more accustomed to a four-man defence. He didn't make any major mistakes, and got most of the 'simple things' spot on - as he usually has this season. He certainly wasn't the reason that Scotland lost that game tonight. 

His meteoric rise since his unsuccessful loan at Ayr and ending up in the Aberdeen team almost by accident in September is a huge credit to him. 

I suppose some people just have a penchant for denigrating talented young players, though. 

He was fine but that LCB role is Tierney's for eternity. 

Off the top of my head I remember us getting shagged 3-0 off them at Hampden maybe about 2004?

Might have played them after that though. 

Yeah, 2004, pissing with rain with a big advertising hoarding saying DÖNG on it (in slanty red letters). I wasn't there but my mates were and they described the highlights (i.e. the advertising board) to me.

Just now, Gordopolis said:

Yeah, 2004, pissing with rain with a big advertising hoarding saying DÖNG on it (in slanty red letters).

I watched it in a pub in Turkey with a lot of English folk around me justifiably pishing themselves. 

Has Paterson not been playing in midfield all season for Cardiff? Might explain why he was soo dodgy tonight at right back

Spoiler

Stupid reason I know as he played right back for years at Hearts

Archived