The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Would like to see a keeper and a left back in for pre season starting - assuming both of them are of a good standard then i'll be fairly content with the squad, especially if McDaid signs.  In a perfect world i'd have liked to see Ferguson upgraded, especially after letting Reid go, but doesnt seem too likely.  

I may be totally wrong but I don't think the defence itself was the major issue last year on its own - for me a lot of the problems were down to a serious lack of confident in whatever keeper was playing (and basic errors from said keepers) plus all the problems in the middle of the park as well meaning defence had very little protection.  

I'm actually more worried about relying on Doc in there - if he ends up missing a couple of months (fairly likely based on prior) then there's a big gap in there.  

4 hours ago, pandarilla said:

If we go for a bigger squad then the quality would have to be lower. I also don't think ft football was supposed to attract new players, it was suppose to get us fitter and playing better.

In terms of injuries, I wonder just how injury prone our squad actually is. Do we keep a track on the injury situations with other clubs to the same level of scrutiny? Injuries happen, and you have to cope.

This is the most exciting Ayr united team I've ever seen (I was 6 in 87 and wasn't paying much attention through the 90s) - and we're keeping it together. There's bags of potential and now they need to step up.

Yes we still need to strengthen but I'm buzzing for next season to start already.

Last time in the championship when we really needed a striker nobody wanted to sign and McCall kept making the point about part time being the reason.  Last season we had at least four runs of injury where we struggled to put a team out. Raith away twice and last few games spring to mind which nearly cost us the title.  First season when physio was ill it lasted two months and again in championship we were running on fumes. If other teams do have the same injuries then they must have youngsters they can rely on as don’t see it impacting them as much.  Would rather drop the quality a bit and have enough players to remain competitive or integrate the youth players more so they can help cover. 

This team does remind me very much of the 87 team who also scored for fun in the lower league. As the pace will be much quicker I don’t expect the forwards to have it all their own way so it’s important a strong defence is assembled too.

13 minutes ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Has anyone listened to the latest manager interview? Just wondering if there was anything significant that came out of it.

That is what the latest discussion  has stemmed from. He said we need a GK and LB and would also like a CB and Midfield player but not sure whether budgets will allow this. He's still in talks with Hart, Ferguson and McDaid.

Alright lads, I recorded a podcast with erstwhile Ayr United captain Paddy Boyle.
There's some great stuff in here about his time at Somerset Park, and I think you might enjoy it.
CLICK

Really good listen. Especially the bits about last season and the run ins with Raith.

Just a shame the way he left the club.

3 hours ago, rb123! said:

Thomas Cerny been released from Partick Thistle...doubt he'll be coming here though.

He never got released, he triggered a clause in his contract that meant he could sign for another team as a free agent. He's away to Finland.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Alright lads, I recorded a podcast with erstwhile Ayr United captain Paddy Boyle.

There's some great stuff in here about his time at Somerset Park, and I think you might enjoy it.

CLICK

A good listen, Paddy done us a turn but I think we need somebody better this season, was interested but not surprised to hear(in part 1) that the Pars trousered his wages from Gateshead and left him in the shit.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

CLICK

giphy.webp

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Potential goalie next season McCrorie is starting tonight against England

Live on tele at 6:30 if you’ve got nothing better to do.

What channel? Alba I’m presuming?