The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Out of curiously, where do you think a club of Ayr United size should be aiming this season and beyond. 

5th/6th for this season with a view to be regularly competing for the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Out of curiously, where do you think a club of Ayr United size should be aiming this season and beyond. 

infinity.

This coming season, a similar position would be outstanding, as we consolidate ourselves in this league.

Medium term, aiming for promotion, or at least being a serious challenger.

But aims and targets are not a minimum. We were aiming for survival this past season and found ourselves top after a good few months. That's football.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’re not giving Adams a FT deal.

Even a "pay as you play" deal wouldn't be ideal, it feels were quite desperate to keep him, meanwhile not trying to replace him. And if I remember right we tried that with Campbell in the Roberts era. 

18 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

I honestly don't believe I'm being negative by saying we shouldn't be giving full time contacts to Jamie Adams.

He's not had one at Ayr yet so why start now. 

Without sounding overly bullish, I'd be expecting at least 3 - 4 high profile new signings as we will have wages freed up on Shankland, McDaid, Rose, Smith, Higgins and possibly Crawford and Moore, who were all high profile and I'd imagine our highest earners.

Over and above this we've lost Cadden, Miller & Doohan who I'd imagine would have been on decent money, not to mention that the guys we have offered extensions to are apparently on less money, so whatever way you look at it we should have a decent pot of cash available on wages, even if this seasons budget is slightly less than last...........

Some teams use the Betfred Cup as a pre season bounce match arrangement . McCall doesn't and view's it as an opportunity to raise revenue . As a result last season we got to the quarters and a game with Rangers which turned in a six figure pay day . The season previous it was a last 16 tie with Hibs at Easter Road in front of 8,000 fans which again provided a nice cheque . the season before that it was Aberdeen at home in front of a more modest crowd ,again though free money compared to be knocked out at the group stages . Each group qualification also netted prize money of about £30,000 a pop .  I'd say all this could be described as good planning and good preparation .

What we have not done so well is plan for the long haul ,go the distance . The young players struggled from the half way stage ,maybe having no experience to draw on didn't help them .

1 minute ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Good player where he off too? QoS interest in Michael Moffat .. 

I’ve seen Livingston mentioned. Would be surprised if they signed him though. I feel Ayr United is his level at the moment. 

Dunno

Moffat is expected to re-sign on Thursday. He didn’t get on with AJ anyway so I would’ve been surprised to see him go to QOTS.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Dunno

Moffat is expected to re-sign on Thursday. He didn’t get on with AJ anyway so I would’ve been surprised to see him go to QOTS.

Remember him singing about how much of a w****r AJ was while he was smashed after we won promotion v Stranraer. A week later he re-signs for the Pars. 

1 hour ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Dunfermline came out with a club statement that, they were also financially tight and would have to rely on the youth.  

We'll still have a higher budget than Ayr though, if Ayr have a bigger budget than Dunfermline you'd be living outwith your means, it's absolutely not worth risking the club over. 

4 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Can't see Moffat being interested in AJ. 

1 minute ago, railwayend said:

Deccy rumoured to be off to the Pars .

Think that's due to last summer where we came close. Not sure if Crawford will still be interested. 

QoTS under AJ though?... 

I think the signing of Doolan (hopefully) which has followed Muirhead will indicate a direction of travel that demonstrates that he is looking for guys with recent Premiership experience . I hope we get another three or four of that kind of calibre !