The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

IIBH, Moffat looked like his legs had gone over the last few months of the season, hopefully he was just burnt out from his earlier exertions and McCowan can take his place more and more as the season goes on.

Yeah, he played most games going into February and at this level and his age it maybe just started to take its toll. New baby to add to the equation which probably had an effect on him. With Forrest, him and McCowan all able to play in that position, I reckon a new main striker and either Moore or maybe a young striker would have us sorted up top.

Moff has been a brilliant servent for the club and I hope he ends his career with us but and I don't know if it's because he started as a professional late on his legs a gone. He can't do 9 mins any more he can be a brilliant teacher for McCowan and the young lads and be an impact sub but no way is he going to be starting 30 odd games next year.

The most important thing for me is that we need more height in the team. I know I'm in danger of sounding like Gordon Strachan...

Every team was taller than us and we really struggled with high balls as a result. I'd like a big centre half and a big striker (below 30!) to give us the option of going long. We never seem to have a plan b when the tippy tappy doesn't work.

I know hitting it long isn't pretty but at this level it is effective. Look at the Highland teams.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The most important thing for me is that we need more height in the team. I know I'm in danger of sounding like Gordon Strachan...

Every team was taller than us and we really struggled with high balls as a result. I'd like a big centre half and a big striker (below 30!) to give us the option of going long. We never seem to have a plan b when the tippy tappy doesn't work.

I know hitting it long isn't pretty but at this level it is effective. Look at the Highland teams.

I wasn't there but think McCall alluded to that at the Gaiety thing when he was talking about Kris Boyd etc.  

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It wasn't playing long balls that was the problem, it was continually playing long high floaty balls that was the problem.

In terms of 6ft+ strikers in Scotland, do we really have that many who are capable at this level and within our perceived price range? 
Would love a crack at Brian Graham but there is probably zero chance we'd get near his County wages, even though I don't see him being a starter for them in the Premiership.  

Signing another young right-back who might not be ready for the Championship yet would be a bit odd with Ferguson already here.

According to a Montrose fan on their forum they signed as a RB and he originally played there however looked more comfortable at CB.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

According to McCall, Shankland is deciding between 3 offers. A “leading club” in Scotland and two English clubs.

Rangers, Sunderland and Portsmouth imo.

Yeah, I think you're spot on tbh.

Also worth looking at this seasons attendances (this is from the BBC website). Its a shame our form dipped as our second half home attendance must have been a few hundred lower. Not helped by being on tv either. 

Just shows how far we've come under McCall. I reckon we should have about the 6th biggest attendance next season.

Screenshot_20190601-185958_BBC Sport.jpg

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

According to McCall, Shankland is deciding between 3 offers. A “leading club” in Scotland and two English clubs.

Rangers, Sunderland and Portsmouth imo.

Portsmouth would be the pick for me out of those three. Rangers he may struggle for game time and Jack Ross making a mess of it and not playing the most attack minded system