The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

19 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Part of the problem in the last few months is having defenders in midfield because the midfield was too lightweight. 
Having Muirhead and Ndaba filling in is ok temporarily, it worked with Adams and Bell mostly but we had a holding midfield player in Kerr, a pest in Docherty and an attacking midfielder in Crawford. 

We don’t have the correct mix in midfield and the ball rarely goes through it when we attack and they don’t really support when the forward players have the ball. 

The frustrating thing with this team is, you can’t fault them for effort. Every player makes mistakes and the two that were made on Saturday weren’t through lack of effort. I criticised Adeloye for a lack of effort before but I’ve came to realise that that isn’t his game. Like Eddie Annand, he’s not going to run all day, but give him a chance in the box and he’ll put it away 9/10 times.

it is purely down to set-up and tactics. Without the right mix in midfield, setting up to play quick, long balls to a forwards who don’t do that, delivered by defenders that can’t make the passes. 

Tend to actually agree with most of this , swap in Kelly for Robbie and it’s about bang on . We’ve been stiffening the midfield with centre half’s for a while now and it’s not ideal . Signing a McGavin/Trafford type would eliminate this habit . That said we still would need another in the Kelly/Robbie mould . So that’s two proper central midfielders and I still think we need a proper centre forward . As I said previously I doubt we’ll get all three in this window . Getting two thirds would be decent business . 

You'd be as well with another 2 CH's in the middle of the park, as until we change tactics all they are going to be doing is watching the ball sail over their heads, then trying to win the ball back from the opposition once their CH's have taken if off Adeloye as he has no support to pass to.

12 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Pick eleven people on here to start on a Saturday and you'd get effort, I dare say Hopkin doesn't lack for effort. It's quality to go with the effort that we're lacking, in both the dugout and on the pitch.

Effort should be the minimum we expect.

Other rotten teams we have had, it has looked like the players don’t care, that can’t really be said about this squad, yet anyway.

some teams you think we are close to clicking, like the early days of Kerrs time, just the right tweak and we will hammer a team. I think we are miles off clicking currently 

we have effort and players that do specific jobs but nothing to join it together. That’s the annoying part for me, everything just seems so much more difficult than it needs to be. It looks like we have a bench full of midfielders that he doesn’t want and the ones he does aren’t midfielders. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

McAllisters natural position is centre half though. I think he admitted in his interview that he was playing out of position at Dumbarton.

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

We surely didnt sign him as a centre half though, with the lopsided nature of how Hopkin assembles a squad, perhaps we did!

Dumbarton fans were wholesome in their praise as a right back or wing back.

Nick McAllister is an absolute machine. He's probably one of these guys who could play anywhere solely down to his raw physical attributes; he's as strong as anything, rapid (only Jai Quitongo and Derek Carcary would be quicker who I've seen I think), and has a great leap on him for quite a wee guy.

I think he'll be moulded into a full-back over time though. He's not the tallest as I mentioned which might count against him at centre-half, but above all else he's got almost everything you'd want in a full-back. He's defensively solid, but rapid enough he can support attacks and cause a few problems. The fact he's terrific in the air helps too, given full-backs are quite often dominated by bigger forwards playing wide.

All that being said, one of the best games he had for us was in central-midfield. So you could even end up with him in there.

I hope he's back fit again soon. I think you've got a potential star on your hands, I really do. Duffy is usually a very good judge of a defender, and he was in total disbelief when he heard St Mirren were punting him.

**Cue Nick McAllister being a bombscare in seven appearances and rocking up at some mob like Darvel in a year or so**

For all the chat (myself included) about how we constantly miss out the midfield and signing someone new won't make a difference etc etc, it's still worth remembering that Andy Murdoch managed to give it away about 17 million times in the second half on Saturday so there's always that...

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Other rotten teams we have had, it has looked like the players don’t care, that can’t really be said about this squad, yet anyway.

some teams you think we are close to clicking, like the early days of Kerrs time, just the right tweak and we will hammer a team. I think we are miles off clicking currently 

we have effort and players that do specific jobs but nothing to join it together. That’s the annoying part for me, everything just seems so much more difficult than it needs to be. It looks like we have a bench full of midfielders that he doesn’t want and the ones he does aren’t midfielders. 

Yes, I'd agree with all of this.

My own feelings going to games are that we can hopefully keep it tight and then grab a deflected goal or a goalmouth type scramble following a corner, free kick or Muirhead long throw with the McGinty flick on.

Don't get me wrong, it has it's own type of excitement, especially if shooting towards a packed Somerset road end on a miserable wet and windy day, however given the choice I'd still rather be watching Forrest and Moffat linking up with Shankland in a fast classy passing move !!!

43 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Gavin Reilly is being let go out on loan from Livingston for a few months. Dunno if he’s the type of striker we need but would be a decent signing imo.

I would be interested in him until Christmas , good experience. Wonder if QoS would be in the mix ... Think he was down there for four or five years ...

10 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Looks like it will be a glamour tie away to Rangers B in whatever that cup is called these days - 2 up early on against Dumbarton.  

So instead of away to Dumbarton we're away to Rangers B, in Dumbarton?

8 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

So instead of away to Dumbarton we're away to Rangers B, in Dumbarton?

Indeed.  Although it's good to see hot young Scottish prospects like Nikola Katic getting to play competitive football tonight at least 

17 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Somerset Road End pin up Aaron Drinan currently live on Sky for Orient against QPR. 

He’s just scored which is great for him but probably means we’ll never hear the end of it.