The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Something you need to promote when your a boss. 

(In all seriousness) it is effectively 2 or more things that complement each other when working together to become greater than the sum of their parts. 

Consider me synergised

17 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

He had Harry Davies and Scott McKenzie beside him two good experienced defenders.  Talking to Morton fans they were hoping he would sign for them.  Sad to hear its not working for your club and Jack.  

He’s been fine this season, possibly overshadowed by some of our other defenders to the point he almost goes unnoticed. 
He was dreadful last season and probably cost us a goal a game on average just by switching off. He played with a few centre halfs and goalkeepers which probably didn’t help him. He still has a bit of last seasons stink on him though and I don’t think too many fans would be upset if he were to leave. He’s probably gone from being the first centre half out the door to maybe 3rd. 

Another thing Mathie did at Hibs was to  create a close partnership with Edinburgh City and Stenhousemuir. Through this he should have some good knowledge of and contacts within the lower leagues. This is an area i would like to see the club look at more in the future to sign players or perhaps an upcoming manager. More often than not we look at players stepping down or sideways but there  also might be others looking to make the step up

2 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

As we will meet each other in the Scottish cup I looked up Jack Baird I see he has only had 8 appearances . Is that for this season I take it. I really like Jack when he was with Saints. Any news on him would be appreciated.  Looking forward to our cup tie Ayr is one of the best days out at the football. 

He's played the majority of games since joining and is absolutely rubbish.  

2 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

As we will meet each other in the Scottish cup I looked up Jack Baird I see he has only had 8 appearances . Is that for this season I take it. I really like Jack when he was with Saints. Any news on him would be appreciated.  Looking forward to our cup tie Ayr is one of the best days out at the football. 

He’s played almost every game since signing. He was a complete disaster last season but think he’s improved slightly this season although he’s still not great. He’s the least worse out of him, McGinty and Fjortoft although that isn’t saying much at all.

I hope/expect he’ll be punted at the end of the season along with the majority of the squad. 

49 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Another thing Mathie did at Hibs was to  create a close partnership with Edinburgh City and Stenhousemuir. Through this he should have some good knowledge of and contacts within the lower leagues. This is an area i would like to see the club look at more in the future to sign players or perhaps an upcoming manager. More often than not we look at players stepping down or sideways but there  also might be others looking to make the step up

The only drawback I can see with this is, teams actually wanted players from Hibs on loan, we are going to have to hawk some absolute shite in the coming weeks, if any clubs do take players they probably won’t answer the phone again.

We did farm a lot of players out to junior teams over the last few years for development so hopefully that will continue while they progress through the pyramid system.

there have been so few players on the bench for the first team. It’s hard to have a passing knowledge on the young players coming through. Apart from Ecripont, there are none regularly on the horizon. 

The chairman alluded to it himself, it’s been 11 months, eleven short months since he assumed a controlling interest.

In such a sort space of time, so much has happened at the club, some of which he’d have gladly avoided and other tangible projects that he’s orchestrated himself.

He’s overseen the removal of Mark Kerr which was viewed as a welcome move by the vast majority of the support, Hopkin tainted hindsight is not welcome here, a decision was required and he & the board made it. The subsequent appointment of Hopkin was proven to be a mistake but the appointment was made in good faith, Hopkin showed at interview what others could not. Jim Duffy began his interim period with a very decent set of results and it was not an unreasonable decision to offer him the job on a more permanent basis.

The club have renovated the boardroom and the immediate entrance and foyer of the football club. They’ve created a new revenue source & office space in the Hub that we’ll hopefully enjoy for generations. The first impression generated by any visitor to the club is now a far more professional one.

The personnel off the park have changed too. The addition of Fraser McIntyre to the board brings a new skill set, investment & local contacts to the table. For whatever reason, a new commercial manager was sought and hopefully we’ll see a vast improvement in output & quality once he/she is announced. The most recent change is of course Graeme Mathie. As others have commented, this could prove to be the Chairman’s most shrewd piece of business yet.

How would it feel if you or I, as fans were to take control of the club? That’s exactly what he’s done and it’s not as easy as you or I would hope. We’d want to be hands on and be involved in all decision making as our intentions would be honourable. To remove himself & the board from day to day decisions & negotiations is huge and proves that his ambition is genuine and he’s humble enough to appreciate that he/they can’t do everything, he needs help. Graeme spoke really well during the interview and his boardroom & football acumen are exactly what the club needs right now. The people in and around the club can now no longer be in any doubt as to which direction the club needs them to be working towards. The club has, with all respect to Lachlan, probably floated with no real direction or aim. That cannot now be directed at the current boardroom. Graeme talked about a journey, there’s a purpose and intention about the place. Pieces of the off field jigsaw are far easier to put in place than the on field equivalent.

As fans we’re all about the product on the pitch, not next season’s side but next week’s side. I’m probably in the minority of 1, but if you offered me a relegation this year, followed by 2 years in League 1 and then successive promotions to the SPL, I’d bite yer hand off. The squad was assembled by Hopkin, not the boardroom, not Jim Duffy and it’s not necessarily a quick or easy fix. From the teams I’ve seen around us I think we’re of a similar quality and a couple of decent additions in January might be enough to ease us towards 6th or 7th. Graeme talked about goals, surely the only goal we have this year is survival then we go again in the summer.

If this is the rate of change in 11 months then I can’t wait to see where we are in 11 years.

2 minutes ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

As fans we’re all about the product on the pitch, not next season’s side but next week’s side. I’m probably in the minority of 1, but if you offered me a relegation this year, followed by 2 years in League 1 and then successive promotions to the SPL, I’d bite yer hand off. The squad was assembled by Hopkin, not the boardroom, not Jim Duffy and it’s not necessarily a quick or easy fix

I agree with all of what you say, on this section though.

In my opinion, if Hopkin or Duffy were in charge of Raiths current squad this season, they would be struggling with us at the bottom of the league.

appointing the right manager is absolutely key to the development of the playing squad. 
Fans would back anything if there is a clear forward plan and obvious improvements to be seen. Up until yesterday, that wasn’t massively apparent. Going down at a whimper because we are part time and have a small budget is understandable. Going down with a full time team because of a managers inadequacy is another. 
Clyde, Airdrie and Stirling Albion are ghosts of clubs that were on the rise off the park and it can easily happen to Ayr if apathy creeps in. We need to be at a stage as a club and support that we don’t let standards slip from year to year and aim for continual improvement where budgets allow. 

In my opinion, if Hopkin or Duffy were in charge of Raiths current squad this season, they would be struggling with us at the bottom of the league.
appointing the right manager is absolutely key to the development of the playing squad. 

Agreed, certainly with regard to Hopkin.

That’s what makes it so frustrating from a supporters point of view, it’s ONE appointment but it’s arguably the most important appointment at the club. A good managerial CV doesn’t guarantee success. It’s often subjective, you might not get agreement across a boardroom. There’s too many variables at our level unless you unearth a managerial diamond in the rough.

Hopefully, as a club we’re now positioning ourselves in such a way that we can remove as much of the white noise as possible when looking to make as good a managerial appointment as we can, whenever we need to in the future.

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

the last time you got this worked up was backing your man Hopkin to the hilt then had to take a months sabbatical once he was sacked in embarrassment

Pretty much backed every Ayr United since McLeod the first time round . That’s what fans do until the end . 

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

The only drawback I can see with this is, teams actually wanted players from Hibs on loan, we are going to have to hawk some absolute shite in the coming weeks, if any clubs do take players they probably won’t answer the phone again.

We did farm a lot of players out to junior teams over the last few years for development so hopefully that will continue while they progress through the pyramid system.

there have been so few players on the bench for the first team. It’s hard to have a passing knowledge on the young players coming through. Apart from Ecripont, there are none regularly on the horizon. 

Kerr/McCardle were able to get players loans in League One and Two remember, it's definitely doable for our young players to get game time at that level.  

4 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Kerr/McCardle were able to get players loans in League One and Two remember, it's definitely doable for our young players to get game time at that level.  

It was more a joke about how shite our team is just now. 
McKenzie could have been out on loan this season based on how much he has played. 
Ecripont is 3rd choice left back, beyond that I’d be hard pushed to name another youth player that isn’t already on loan at a junior team.

id rather they played out on loan than a game at KG5 every week